3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: STATIC TIP STALKER RECURVES? additional info pg. 4  (Read 3351 times)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: STATIC TIP STALKER RECURVES? additional info pg. 4
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Ryan, I was thinking along the lines of some new core materials, ala a foam matrix, some carbon, I really like the feel of the accelerator limb wedges on the Zippers. Maybe stiffen up the limbs just a touch, and I like the slimmer riser as long as he can maintain the grip he has. That is the best feature, most repeatable grip I have shot. Maybe a more radiused shelf also.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Static tips produce an extremely even force draw curve when made in the recurve style. I have never shot the lever (Kemph) style so I cannot speak to that.
The draw of the static tip bow is so smooth and even it just blows you away the first time you try one. They also are extremely quiet as the string goes back on the limb very early and does not slap the limb like a working recurve does.
Another thing you get with static limbs is a longer draw with very little if any finger pinch. The design just has tons going for it.
I have been building statics now for quite a few years and no way am I going the other direction.

I think South is making a smart move. If something works better then you should address it instead of sticking with something that is a bit less efficient and does not have the inherient qualities that a static has.

EagleWing Talon 11 now has double carbon, foam core or yew core available with static tips.

Andy one of the main reasons i changed the design of the Talon 1 was easier stringing. What I did not want to do was change performance. It worked.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Andy,
I know what you mean!  I owned one static and loved everything about it except for stringing it.  Sold it because I just felt uncomfortable getting it to brace.

Thanks Mike!

Steve,
Thanks for your detailed info!  I really appreciate it!  I'm going to check out some of your bow pics right now!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
I just got the bow in the mail.  Here are the pics as promised.  I'll be updating you guys with better pics and more info this week.

Stalker Hybrid Handle (interchangeable limbs)

Unstrung Profile

Strung Profile

Top Limb

Bottom Limb

58" Right Hand 59# @ 28"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Ryan, how about some pics next to your other Stalker? How much slimmer is it? Is Stacy going to help you string and draw that one back?  :bigsmyl:  Is South traveling to KaZoo or Compton's this next year?

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Hey Mike,
I'm not sure of South's Schedule but I'll be sure to ask.

My biggest fear was stringing this bow up.  I was totally surprised, it was actually really easy to string.

I will be sure to post more pictures.  I need to take my string off of the stretcher so I can get a few shots off before dark.

I'll be back!
Ryan

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
What type of stringer are you using? Did South say what limb cores he used on this?

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I like it. Cant wait to hear what you say Ryan.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Is there a tip overlay on the belly side of the limb? I'm asking because when I built my tips with that recurve I had a problem getting the notches cut in without the glass splitting. Answer was to add a thin overlay ala Damon Howatt.

God bless you and you all have a great Thanksgiving, Steve

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »
Hey Mike,
I know it may not be the "correct" stringer, but I prefer the ones that attach to the tips of the limbs.  

Steve,
Thank you for the valuable insight.  Information like this can really shorten the learning curve and save money and time.  He does have a thin lamination on the belly of the tips, but I'm not sure if it's for aesthetics or for added durability.  I'll be sure to discuss this with him.

Gang,
Let me preface with saying that I only had one hour of shooting so far.  I didn't run it through the chrono yet and I didn't map a draw force curve so everything is based on my opinion.  I just wanted to give my first impressions.

58" STATIC TIP I'm shooting just under 9 gpp.

STRINGING:  This was an area of concern since it was an issue for me as well as others who owned and shot statics.  I had no problems stringing this bow.  It's not a "radical" design and it strung up as easy as my standard Stalker limbs.

NOISE:  In my opinion, this bow is the quietest Stalker recurve that I've shot so far.

SHOOTING:  The bow had no limb vibration, dead in the hand.  At brace there was a little more preload but the draw was smooth all the way to my anchor.  Again I would have to map it out for the real results.

SPEED:  I didn't chrono it yet but it did seem to have more preload, which in turn may add for more stored energy which could translate to more speed.  Visually it seemed just as fast if not faster than my Striker model.  I will get it chrono'd this week.

I'll be sure to add factual information in the coming month.  I have a good feeling about this bow and I'm hoping to really put it to the test.

In all honesty, I didn't think South could build a bow that I would like better than my 56" Striker but if I can convince him to build a shorter model, I may be hunting with a Static Stalker for the new year!

Thanks gang!
Ryan

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
Ryan,
Could post a pic of that bow unstrung w/ the limb tips against a wall or flat surface.I want to see how far the tips go past the riser?

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Hey Ryan:  Tell south to put those limbs on his 1-piece riser, I'd buy one.  Very Nice, have had an RER and Dryad Static Tip, both shot very well, smooth and quiet, a good design.  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
overbo,
I'll take some pics when I get home from work.

Ryan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Love static tip, my Border Hex-5Hs have the most radical statics I have seen and they are the fastest and quietest limbs I have ever owned. Love the looks of those Stalkers! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Thanks Shawn!

overbo,
Does this work?

58" Stalker & 58" Static Stalker

Limbs side by side

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan. Can you get a picture of the risers in the same plane as the limbs. I'm amazed at how much slimmer those limbs are.  Is the riser slimmer also? Any difference in the grip? Looks like the riser is a bit shorter to, eh? Thanks for all your pics Bro.
Mike

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
That grey stained curly maple looks familiar ryan ! Lol
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan,
Man those are narrow limbs.I like that alot!

Offline Festivus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 04:01:00 AM »
Looks good. How did he make the limbs static? Did he use a wedge in the limb tips?

Thanks.

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 05:35:00 AM »
Ryan that is going to keep south busy love those narrow limbs Thanks Shane

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©