3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: STATIC TIP STALKER RECURVES? additional info pg. 4  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: STATIC TIP STALKER RECURVES? additional info pg. 4
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Yup, gonna have to save some money and try out one of them for sure!! Love the look and the riser looks very nice, love the look of the grip! They will be interchangable? Great job!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
I like the fact that there is not a bunch of string laying on the limb when strung, some statics have a lot of string laying on the limb and ya get quite a bit of string slap. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Mike,
I'll be sure to get the additional pics up tonight.

Aloha Shane!
Good to hear from you.

Festivus,
I'll double check with South before I give you an answer.

Shawn,
Yeah, I'm really liking the design so far.  Yes the static limbs and the longbow limbs will be interchangeable.  This is the same riser that is on the "Hope and Faith" longbows.  He has a "test drive" program too.

Aloha gang!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Looks great!!! I would love to shoot one!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
I just got back from a week of hunting and shooting with the new limbs.  It was my first chance to give them any real extended test, as I sprayed the last coat on my prototype limbs (and the bow I shipped to Ryan) the day before I left.  The bow Ryan is shooting is only the third set of limbs of this design that I have built (I dropped off the other bow with Jason Hairston from Kuiu to get some feedback from him and his dad).  I was a little nervous taking a totally new, untested bow out on a hunt, but I was so impressed with how the first set of limbs shot that I decided it would be a great way to get acquainted with the new bow.  I got a chance to do a lot of stump shooting on the trip, but was plagued with crunchy snow, so no good shot opportunities presented themselves.  I'm super happy with the results, but still want to do some more experimenting.  Steve and I were talking on the drive home and were wondering aloud, "well what if we did this or that and it increased performance--even slightly!?!"  We are going to be playing around with some tweaks to the forms and checking results on the chrono to see what happens.  Time consuming and expensive, but FUN!  I will keep you posted as I work on finalizing the profile.  I expect to be able to be shipping by the first of the year (maybe if I push it, Santa will have a few in his sleigh!)

Sixby:
  The profile of the static tip is determined by the shape of the limb form.  It is cranked over pretty hard, that--along with an internal reinforment--keeps the profile of the tip intact as more force is applied to it as the bow is drawn.  A "working tip" recurve has a much gentler, more gradual curve to the tip.  It will flex some, straigtening out a little and becomes an extension of the working part of the limb.  
   After I get the profile on this limb hammered out, I'm thinking about playing with a static tip limb design on my other recurve handle.  I was digging through some of the limbs that Stalker's founder, Charlie had made and found a set of static limbs he had built.  When I questioned him about them on Monday, he said the string was a little too mushy at brace (not enough preload)and he was getting too much vibration.  The limbs were really wide.  I think the lack of preload and the extra mass weight he had with the wide limbs were the culprits.  I'll be finding out soon.....

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Nathan,

Those limbs should look familiar!  I missed weight on your first set, so I made another handle to go with them.  Ryan needed a test drive bow over on the island... so even if you can't vacation in heaven, at least a bow that was intended for you can kick it on the beach in paradise!

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Whoops, my bad.  The part of my first post that I'd addressed to Sixby was supposed to be addressed to Festivus's question.  Sorry for the confusion Sixby.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Looks good South!!!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
Sorry but I didn't have a chance to take more side by side pics today.  I wanted to get to the local range before the sun went down.

Here is a group at 30yds. The bow seems to group well. I shot it out to 40 today.

The bow tunes well.  Here's the results from the paper tuning.
It seems forgiving.  I can "heel" and "high wrist" the grip and get good results through paper.  I also "gripped" the bow to see what happened and it still shot well.

I also ran it through the chrono.  Keep in mind, I did not shoot it from a machine so there was human error.  I did have my wife check to see that I shot the arrows at the same mark every time.  She said at most, I was about an 1/16" off.  Pound for pound between the static and the dynamic, I got a plus 2-3fps faster for the static.

So far, I am totally impressed with this bow.  The bow is quiet, smooth and stable with speeds similar or a tad quicker than the standard Stalkers.  It also groups and tunes well.  Now for my true test, to find out if it's a great hunting partner.

Let me know if I can answer an other questions.

Aloha Gang!
Ryan

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
Hey Mike,
Is this is what you meant of a picture of the riser with the limbs in the same plane?

In my opinion, the grip "feels" the same but in what I would consider a low wrist.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Perfect Ryan. Thanks. South did well when he asked you to help him out.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
TTT

This bow is looking to be a winner South....

Great review Ryan!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
Will the limbs fitt you current recurves?
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
Thanks Jake!

String Cutter,
These limbs interchange on the hybrid riser.  It's the same riser used for the 3pc longbow.  These prototype limbs will not fit on his current recurve riser.  In the future, South may experiment with static tip limbs for current recurve riser.

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »
It would be super Sweet if he came out with longbow and static limbs for his current recurves.  :D
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Soooo, I could get a set of limbs for the Ugly Green Monster riser? I need to see some limb prices!   :thumbsup:

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
Soooo, I could get a set of limbs for the Ugly Green Monster riser? I need to see some limb prices!    :thumbsup:  
unique green riser
just like you mike unique

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
My uniqueness comes from the Trad archery people I associate with! (Or that let me hang out with them)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
South, sent you a pm about the limbs  :)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
Hey Mike,
Not could, should....You should get static limbs for your hybrid riser.   :D
The prices are going to be similar to the longbow prices.

String Cutter,
Static limb tips for his current riser may be "in the works".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©