3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What makes up traditioanal bow havest percentage wise?  (Read 393 times)

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
What makes up traditioanal bow havest percentage wise?
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Here is something to think about. Percentage wise, what do you believe makes up a bow harvest?

Personally I believe that about 50% of a havest has to do with the actually hunting aspect in my area. This includes putting yourself in the right position at the right time to have an animal within range. This includes scouting, setting up an ambush, stalking, scent control including wind direction, possible calls, camo clothing, etc, etc. Basically this category has everything to do with getting within range without being detected. Let’s assume for now that the hunter does his own work and is not guided in any way.

I believe that 20% is mental or cognitive. Now that the game is within range, the shot has to be executed. This aspect has to do with knowing when to move/not move, knowing when to draw, keeping one’s whit, etc. I think this aspect also includes buck fever. Let’s face it; shooting at game is an experience that is unlike any other. I have seen people who can shoot 3-d or paper all day very well; however, when there is a live animal in front of them, they fall apart mentally. This has nothing to do with not knowing how to execute the shot; it has to do with actually executing the shot under extreme stress.  I have also seen people who do not practice till 2 weeks before the season be extremely effective when hunting because they are very, very good at this aspect.

I believe that form comes in at around 20%. This is an area where the archer has complete control over and as such should be practiced extensively IMO.

I believe that archery equipment comes in last at 10%. Correct bows and arrows are important aspects of a harvest, however, I honestly believe something that OL mentioned which is that bows really only vary about 10% in performance.  Personally, I have just as much confidence in my 60’s Ben Pearson, my selfbow that I made, or my OL Adcock longbow. Of course the correct bow and arrows need to be matched to the archer for a particular game species. Personally, I find it amusing when an archer gives complete credit to his/her bow for a kill.

I am not trying to start a flaming war over others though, which this has the potential to do, but to hear others personal opinions. I am not trying to change others opinions.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What makes up traditioanal bow havest percentage wise?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Bobco,

Good thoughts, but you forgot location, location, location.  I put that at least 25%.

I think on equipment you make a good point, but it assumes people get bows that "fit" them - especially in the grip, length and poundage, get their arrows flying right for that bow (you assume this), work on getting the bow quiet, and get accurate with that bow (I guess that falls under your form category). You do that and I agree that speed doesn't make a huge difference.  But for me, more speed has meant a flatter trajectory and makes it a little easier to shoot consistently on shots of 20-30 yards.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
While taking an animal is obviously the focus of going hunting, it doesn't occupy a large percentage of how I personally define 'success.' It's merely the icing on the cake.

It's a hard thing for me to put a finger on, but a large part of what I would consider a 'successful' day of hunting, animal down or not, is the richness of what I experienced that day. A close encounter with a rutting bull moose who didn't know I was there, having wolves run by me 20 ft. away, moving in on a bellowing elk in pre-dawn light...all of these things put a smile on my face, and are a large part, for me, of walking out of the mountains feeling 'successful.'

Which is probably why I've chosen to hunt the way that I do, over other more "efficient" means.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
No thanks! I have to deal with enough numbers at work!  :banghead:
David M. Conroy

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Can you be a bowhunter without being a traditional bowhunter?  Yes.  Can you be a traditional bowhunter with a compound, crossbow or rifle?  I'd say "no."  So the equipment is what defines a traditional bowhunter, does it not?    

When I position myself so I have a shot opportunity at legal game and get the bow up and ready I consider that a successful hunt.  Sometimes I even take "coup" and draw and hold; then let down.  Whether I'm moving to the deer or the deer is moving to me I did something right or was lucky.  That counts.  At that point whether I take the shot - may be too little or I'm hoping for a buck vs. a doe - is my choice and even if I pass it up it's still a good hunt.

But truly, a "successful hunt" puts meat in the freezer.  When it comes to that percentage I'm a lousey 20% annually with a bow.  That's why I consider bowhunting a superior challenge.  Once firearm season rolls along I am more than 100% successful annually if you consider a kill the measure of success.  

And without a doubt bowhunting has made me a better hunter with a firearm.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Smithhammer said it well.

Many times I have the time and opportunity to get out and hunt and put it off to do other things.  I always regret it.  Just "getting out" can mean about 30-40% to me towards a sucessful hunt IMO.  If you do not get out, you will not be able to experiecnce all the other things that make up the rest of the percentage.

That said, I agree with limbender in that location is a large percentage of sucess as well.

I would say that seeing the game you are after would account for about 20% and a shot opportunity takes at least 20% of the pie.  Many hunts are great but no shots were taken....no shots mean no game.

So let's see....

Getting out - 35%
Seeing game - 20%
Shot opp - 20%
Harvest - 25%
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
I think there are a lot of things left out limbender, in my way of thinking the location is part of the 50% block. But you are right, a person hunting in areas with low concentrations may find the 50% section go up to 70%. More time may have to be put into scouting etc. In highly populated areas, the percentage may go down. There are many what ifs.

I know what you are saying smithhammer, trad hunters do not necesarily get into this to take dowm more animals. Wording is very hard here. But what I meant as successful was more in line with havesting an animal then personal satisfaction. It may have not been the best description though.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
A few days ago, I had a morning that I would consider about 90%. I watched at least 50 deer, saw a great fight between two bucks, observed bucks chasing does for several hours, had a doe and a rutting buck within 4 yards of me (he was not one I wanted to shoot), had turkeys within 5 yards of me that I didn't shoot because I was watching a big buck that I was going to stalk and didn't want to alarm him with a turkey flopping around. I put a long stalk on the big bedded buck, got to within 30 yards before the wind betrayed me. Being able to get that buck would have made for a 100% successful morning, but 90% is still pretty good.
Had I been hunting with anything but a trad bow, I probably could have sealed the deal on that big buck, but that would not have been nearly so satisfying, at least to me. And, if I absolutely had to have a deer that morning, I would have had several chances at trad bow range. My refections on what is successful may differ from yours, but I like Chevy trucks, too, and maybe you like Fords or Dodges. It is all in the mind of the beholder.
So, my take on percentages:
Being out:30%
Seeing Game:30%
Shot opportunities:30%
Killing:10%
I don't throw equipment and shooting ability into the equation, since I consider shooting and my 'stuff' as separate and equally enjoyable pursuits in and of themselves.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Did some editing on the original post. It seemed like I may have not used the correct wording. I didn't want this topic to turn into a "what satisfies an individual in traditional bowhunting", or what does "successful" mean to you in traditioanl bowhunting type thread.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
I disagree with a lot of folks on "what is sucess as a hunter"  I go hunting to kill my quarry. Being successful in my mind is harvesting whatever it is you are after. Don't get me wrong if i see two morning doves on a limb doing a mating dance that is great but that doesn't make my day a success. That isn't what i went to the field to accomplish therefore it doesn't make me feel successful.

Everything i work so hard for leading up to the hunt is in preparation to kill that animal. Its the kill that drives my desire to be successful. There it is i said it and i feel much better.

My name is TJ and i may have a problem.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
OK then: 80% is being there when the deer is and 20% is being able to shoot well enough under pressure to do something about it.

:biglaugh:

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
Oops just saw i was off topic. I will leave my post though as I was giving my 2 cents on some replies and my therapist said it was good for me. Haha
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
I think it's location...time spent (persistance)...obviously skills in getting off the shot....and luck, which can tie into the others.   I don't know what percentages to assign these, but I do know that 10% of hunters typically kill 90% of the game, it seems.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
I'm with TJ for the most part but cringe when I hear the word "success" I'm more comfortable with "accomplishment". If I don't accomplish what I go to the woods to do, I feel like I've failed.

As far as percentages....it all adds up to 100%
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
70% of Americans don't understand percentages and the other 40% takes advantage of that.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
...Theres only one percentage..I'm interested in... being 100% happy just being out hunting no matter what the day turns out to be !
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
82.25% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
82.25% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
I hope you have multiple sources to back that up.

:readit:

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
I like hunting 100% more than I like being at work...even when its cold.RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Forgot to add. I can outshoot Biggie 100% of the time and about 78.2% sure I can take him in a wrestling match. 100% sure he is a better speller though.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©