3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Resurrection bow: rises from the ashes  (Read 352 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Resurrection bow: rises from the ashes
« on: November 15, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Back more years than I want to remember, I got "back" into trad archery...borrowed a few bows, then bought a few used, then finally found something "neat".

Chap that bought Rocky Miller(?)Heritage Archery and moved it back East built nice bows. He had quit and went back to being a machinst to make $$ to support his family...but had left over bow I liked.  Bocote riser, purple heart strips and paduk someone tells me... and plain but fast red elm limbs.

He didn't  make it ff approved tips. I tried to get him to redo them, but he erronously told me, "...just add extra strands in the loops" NOT!

Cut the limbs like a laser.  We tried to resurrect his old form to rebuild new ones, but he had family things, then I did...never got done.

One limbed riser sat in my life taunting me for years...finally, I took pics and started sending around to bowyers but couldn't find much interest or I couldn't afford the freight.

UP on Gang jumps a guy in NM who builds bows for fun...offered to take a shot at making limbs.

It was a recurve but I've grown to like the quiet of longbow limbs...but seem to shoot recurve style risers better.

After a few sidebars while my new friend battled recurrance of cancer (successfully! Yeah!) the limbs continued in progress.

I just got them the other week and haven't had time to play, but wanted to share.

Olive Ash Burl I believe the lams are. My buddy likes to put veneers on the back side, black glass on the face to get the most efficiency out of the limbs.

See what you think.  I called it my "Resurrection Riser" because it was brought back to life by a dear friend, Benbow here, or Galen Benson, dear friend and talented man.

Thank you, Galen! You made me smile!

Back of bow w/ black glass

Gorgeous veneers

Riser w/ Stickshooter's Antler Burls and Cross

Strung profile for those who love those views (note the color got shifted somehow..dang digi cams!)  :)

The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Resurrection bow: rises from the ashes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Dave I've enjoyed getting to know you through this project. It challenged me and really helped me get off my butt during this cancer crap. So I'm glad you like it and I pray it brings God's blessings to you. I put some more pictures in the Bowyers section that shows the riser before we started on it.    More pictures
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Very cool bow, too often those projects just keep gathering dust.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
thats a beauty, cool that you kept with it and found someone to finish it
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Very nice!    :clapper:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Well it looks great   :thumbsup:   ....how's it shoot??
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Galen takes way better pics than I, so I hope you all clicked on his link to the Bowyer's Bench here and his post and pics.  It was quite a project and he did a lot of computerized design work he'd send me and make my eyes cross and brain sweat!   :knothead:  

Shoot? Are you "serious" Ron? That is too purdy to shoot!  :)   :rolleyes:    :D  

It came just as my truck took ill, been fussing with that & trying to get things together to head outa town to finsh the PA bow season last week and the end DST so since I got back, no time or daylight to shoot it.

Shot a few arrows when it arrived...but it's been at least 9-10 yrs since I shot /handled that riser... I've got a few set up tweaks to do and then give it a thorough run...but I can tell it will just take a few tweaks to get it back where I am shooting it well!

Galen, I'm so delighted you found this to be therapy... cause to me its a minor miracle I have that riser back being serviceable.

Such pretty wood God grew and man made was a sin to have it lie idle all these years! You, Galen, and your heart, resurrected my riser!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
Wonderful outcomes for both stories! Beautiful olive ash on those limbs.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline 2dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
Sweet lookin' bow Doc. Glad you found someone to take on the task.
Ya made me come back. Haven't been here long time.
UBNJ
RMEF
RFA
NRA

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
It's gorgeous doc. That promises to be a sweet shooter. Better keep track of it next time i visit. Might find itself getting lost in my gear...lol
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline motormouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
I love the bow, old man!!! Been thinkin bout gettin myself my very own bow, built for me. Also gettin dad a custom bow for Christmas. Hope your well, Doc.
"It's not dyin i'm talkin bout...It's livin." -Capt. Gus McCrae

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Absolutely awesome in every aspect.

Thank you for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
very nice Dave!  I may have to saunter up to Lititz to see it and shoot it...git it ready for White Clay second season!

Lee

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Great looking bow but the shelf is on the wrong side for me. LOL
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
That's a great looking hybrid longbow. I really like a longbow with a recurve style grip and your's is a beauty.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Nice looking bow!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
You're willing to "try" Chop!  :)

MM, old...? who you callin "old", PUP! Good to see you still sitting up taking nourishment. Fine jesture to do for your Dad... excellent!

Lee, you need no special invite to do just that... get yer fanny off the couch and come visit!

David, rightminded and left handed are ya, eh? So much for being in MY will!  :)

Joe, beautifuly yak and recurver risers w/ longbow limbs do just seem to work, don't they? I tend to need all the help I can git and that extra riser mass surely helps I think.

Ed, et al, thanks for the kind words, but the real cudos go to Galen... re-angled the limb pockets, tapered the riser to fit longbow limb bases, hit the draw length and weight perfect and all his computer work tells us that it hit the high % efficiency for stored energy.

Now to get it set up to my style shooting and start making holes in stuff!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Great story David .... this bow should have some blessed Karma for sure. Now if we could just resurrect your leg life would be good.

Good shoot'n the beautiful bow.    :archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Great job Galen   :thumbsup:    :clapper:  
 Dave : that is one sweet looking bow , congrats and I hope it shoots as good as it looks. Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©