3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: whats the closest you ever missed an animal at?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
whats the closest you ever missed an animal at?
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
My first year coming back to Trad a few years ago I went doe hunting by the house, I had a 150+ buck come under my stand 12 yards. Being used to short wheel bows that did not require me to bend, I drew and the string hit my chest before I hit my anchor. still tried, right over his back.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: whats the closest you ever missed an animal at?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Aha, Missed, Have I ever missed? I remember the good shots. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
OK. Bull elk at 20 feet. Bucked like a horse rearing up. Thought I had heart shot him but arrow went just under the leg and never touched him. I even waited an hour before I moved. I was sure I had killed that elk. No hair or blood on the arrow which was buried in a log behind where the bull was standing.

I still wonder what happend and how an animal that looked relaxed could move so fast.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline briarsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
I missed one at 6 yards this year, shot right under him.
Black Widow PLX Osage
Black Widow PLX Crossgrain Graybark
Red Feather Archery broadheads!

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Missed a spikehorn at 7yds yesterday samething didn,t bend.Oh-well hunt and learn............
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Missed a hog at 4 yds.  When asked in camp that night how I could miss one that close.  I told them I thought it was 5 yds.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Don't know if I would only be guessing. I would likely over-estimate the distance.

If it is an animal with spots, then I am doomed.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
I actually find the close shots harder from a treestand than say 15-20 yarders. I have to admit that I have missed both but I really don't feel comfortable with a close under the stand shot. Too much chance of not getting the arrow through which leads to difficult tracking with no exit hole.  :dunno:    :dunno:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Missed a turkey head shot at 2 or 3 yards more than once! and had a big buck almost run me over, shot a mussel loader a point blank (hang fire)in the dirt . found the ball in the dirt at my feet!
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
I've missed so many grouse and quail so close I'm not counting them.

My "best" was a spike bull out of Timber, OR at about 12 yards that was trying to steal cows out of a big harem of a big bull. There were two spikes that would run around the harem and the bull would chase one of them almost all the way around in front of me while the other spike would rush in and try to cut out a cow but each time he would stop short and the spike would keep coming. Then the bull would go back on the other side of the harem to deal with the other spike and there was just nothing I could do. So I finally decided to shoot the spike.

He was walking and was close. I drew and shot and hit a lodgepole pine right in front of him. He didn't spook and none of the other spooked because the other spike was causing so much trouble. And then, it happened again, exact do-over. Same spike, almost the same spot, walking in front of me, silly close. Different tree. No kidding. It just came out of nowhere and thwack. But this time they heard the cartoon arrow vibration and boogied out of there.

That was with a compound with a peep. I don't think it would be possible for me to do that now. On the other hand, I still have trouble figuring how I managed that the first time, let alone two in a row.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
A friend and I were hunting hogs in a barley field we were both crouched down in some brushes-it was the bewitching hour and piggies were out. He is a compounder I had my longbow, 2 good sized hogs came by at maybe 4 yards, we both came to full draw and both missed!

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
10-12ft i thought it was closer and missed.... naaaa...hahah the fever got me. thats why i do it. love that rush.

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Missed a big bologna queen doe at about 20 feet this year.  I was watching her head for signs of spooking.  Came to full draw focused on her eyes, she stayed calm.  I moved back but never dropped down never picked my spot....right over her back at head high.  Did everything right for the stalk and everything wrong with shot execution. mmmmmmmmmmmm tag soup.

Live and learn.  Wasn't the first time either.  every time I place too much of my concentration on gauging the animal I don't pick a spot and miss over the back.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
5 yd. pig! And I shoot daily.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
About 4 yards Osage bow gave up the ghost on me
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
I missed a buck at 7yds a couple years ago. I grazed him and it left a mark. I ended up getting him a month later out of the same stand with the same 7yd shot.

Bisch

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Last year, I missed a little buck at 7 steps. My bowstring caught on a buckle on my Pac Seat and the arrow went right underneath him. I've missed a bunch of squirrels inside 5 yards.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
About 6 yards, last sunday!!!!! About the closeest I can remember in a long time...
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Missed the buck of my lifetime (so far) at about 8 yards last week.  He was walking steadily and was so close I was afraid to try and stop him.  I decided to shoot him as he passed from behind a tree.  I shot the tree!  I sat in my stand for two more hours looking at that arrow stuck in the tree.
Javaman Elkheart, 58", 51 @ 30
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 61 @ 29

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
20 feet. But it was a real small four by four blactail. Both arrows went right between the antlers.Small animal was a rabbit buy my foot.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
sorry to bring up the pain, but after reading I have to share another, In a stand in Illinois one year pre trad, I had a nice 10 pt chase a doe by me, i drew seated as he came in, he stopped at 10 yards broad side, ( I used to shoot rats in the head around the corn crib at 10 yards) I aimed and released, the bottom limb grazed my leg but not bad. I waited for the buck to expire, while waiting a huge 10 ( 170 -180) walked by at 20 yards, I watched him go, climbed down and retrieved my arrow,,, no blood and I let the buck of a lifetime walk by me. almost put my bow on my stand for whoever found it and drove home.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©