3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Montana season so far...and done....with final pics page 7  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Montana season so far...and done....with final pics page 7
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Well, here is how our season has been going this year....a lot of "stuff" happening around here to affect our harvest, but we're making the most of it!  

It starts off simple enough, with teaching the boys to make selfbows for themselves, and making myself a couple in the process as well.   The pics can tell this story....it begins in January last winter....

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana season so far...and done....with final pics page 7
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
The boys....my sons Kory, Boone, and their friend Daniel, all made hunting weight osage selfbows to use this year.  

I built a couple while teaching them, and picked out this vine-maple bow to hunt with.  

Here is a pic of Kory shooting his bow.

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Very nice! Great way to get through the hard winter.

I was talking to a friend in MT the other day. What's up with this Canadian wolf explosion? Is it really starting to impact areas of the state that bad? Heard they are hitting the deer population hard.
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Looking Good so far Mark. I will check back for the rest!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
After a summer of high water around here, then the passing of my father-in-law just before the season began, Kory and I set out to hunt some elk.   We'd been chasing antelope as well, but had'nt had any luck yet.  

The first couple days of bow season found us in our favorite elk haunts mornings and evenings, always with the chance for deer and whatever might be around.....

We spied a group of lopes getting ready to head into a hay field, and a plan formed.....

Kory made a mile-long stalk, up a tiny creekbed to ambush them after they entered the field.  He learned a lesson from last years success in this same stalk.....and got ready to take two lopes in succession.   The plan worked to perfection, as he took out the lead doe, and the buck as he brought up the rear.   Nice way for a young man to "break in" his new selfbow!  

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
That's really an accomplishment to take game with your home made equipment!  Great pictures!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
That was two 'lopes, in 20 seconds!  

As we didn't have much time this year, and temps were very hot for september, we cut our hunt short for elk, to catch up on work we needed to get done.   I'm still behind on stuff around here.  Tim Roberts came up and hunted several days with me, and we chased elk around here, and got in a whitetail hunt or two, with Tim connecting on a fat MT doe!  He also got in some selfbow "schooling".    

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
:wavey:
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
This is a pic of a buck that Tim mmmmmissed....that I passed on several times early in the season.     Besides the heat, wolves have indeed impacted the area around my home, which is just north of Yellowstone.   The elk habits have changed....and even the whitetails in this area have been a bit harrassed.  I'm not anti-wolf...it's kindof neat having them around, but they need to be hunted and hunted now.  

I've always said that "these are the good ol' days", and they are.   But I'm afraid, they are not quite as good as they once were....perhaps.  Everythings relative.   After what was a long hard winter, and wolves, and for whatever reason, bow season passed without any more tags filled around here.   But some glorious days afield....I never get sick of the scenery here.  

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
You guys are gettin it done in Montana. Beautiful bows!  Great photos - thanks!

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
General (gun) season began with fall in a full color explosion....a nice treat, as we've had early snows and cold the last two years, and I have missed the colors.  

I started opening day hiking out to a new stand I'd put up, not with a lot of hope, really, just wanting to get out and enjoy the day.   I'd just got settled in, when this dude and his wife and dog hiked right into my area, yelling and screaming......I just waved to them, and they came over, all apologies!   Turns out he was a local pro-photog guy, and perhaps feeling bad about ruining my hunt, he appeals to my vanity with the old "can I take your pic" routine, for the Big Timber Pioneer (somewhat local paper) for the cover shot?"    Of course being an advocate for the promotion of "true" bowhunting, I agree.   The next three pics are taken by him...

In the end, my "mug" was out-scooped for Dennis Quaids, with news of him selling his ranch and leaving our fine area.   Oh well....

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Here's a few more pics of the area, taken from various stands, and hikes into them.    What a place!

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
Although deer seem quite scarce this year, as November rolled into it's second week, buck activity, as usual, picked up.   Still not having filled a tag, and after missing a big buck last year, I needed to close the deal, for my own self-confidence and happy to fill the freezer some.    Here's a couple bucks I let walk one night as they made their rounds.  

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Ah! Really cool! Making self bows and killing Antelope by spot and stalk.  What could be better?!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
That first buck was Tim's buck, but all busted up already.  

The next night, I rattled after settling into my stand, and had a buck come in that I had decided would be a good buck to take this year, after I'd jumped him from his bed several times.   He was pretty aggressive, and gave me a great show for 10 or 20 minutes, before walking into my best lane, stopping, looking away....I HATE when that happens and had to put a stop to it.   The vine maple bow put one through the good stuff, and he's now history.  

He did'nt go far, and never knew what hit him.   This is our typical 3 year old here....and over the years I taken a bunch like him, but I'm sure glad to have him now.  

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Well....thats all for now.   I've been out trying to fill two doe tags I have for this area, and they are tough to find this year!   I hope this week will be kind to me, so I can get out and get one more crack at elk in the snow before the season ends after Thanksgiving.  Then I'll update.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
Wow! This as to be the coolest thread that I ever read!! realy nice pictures, realy nice bows, realy nice country, realy nice animals!! You are a lucky man! Good luck on the rest of your season!
Cheers

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
Real awsome cool stuff. Love the bows.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
I am way more than jealous Mark - some beautiful country you get to roam around in.

Great photos, and some fine trophies as well!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
Mark you live on some beautiful country,it's great that you and your boys make your own bows must be really rewarding,congrats.   :clapper:      :clapper:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©