3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help picking out Binoculars....input please  (Read 641 times)

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Help picking out Binoculars....input please
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:05:00 AM »
Wanting to get some better glass. I have been using Pentax 7x25 compacts for the bow hunting around here. Got the itch for some 8x42 or 10x42. Can't really put the dollars into the higher end stuff, Zeiss, Steiner, etc. But hoping I can get some input from folks on what they have, like....good and bads. Sure appreciate it.

Lanier
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help picking out Binoculars....input please
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »
Buy the nicest pair of high end binos you can afford.  You won't regret it one bit if you hunt much.  It's an investment that will last a lifetime.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
Lanier,
 I bought some Nikon Monarch X 10.5x42 and love them.
 They are super clear and have decent low light qualities. I think they cost around $600. My season is done until after Christmas, you are more than welcome to test drive mine for a couple weeks. Let me know,
Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline volcanomil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
I second the suggestion for Nikon Monarch.  I have a pair of 10x42 and am very pleased with them.  Buy the most you can afford, you'll never be sorry you did.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
I've heard people really rave obout Vortex binoculars. Check them out.

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Nikon makes some good binos. Hard to beat in their price range.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
I have a pair of Vortex Vipers 10x42 and really like them and if you look in the classifieds right now there is a pair for sale.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
I'm also a fan of Nikons. Great glass at a reasonable price.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
First advice; Pay as much as you can for them.  With optics, I have found you get what you pay for.  That said, if you can afford a set of quality (Zeiss or Leika) compact binos you will be much happier than a set of lesser quality.

I've got a set of Kahles 8 x 42 which can't be beat but my go to for bow hunting is a set of Leopold 8 x 32's )I believe.  They are short but of good quality and waterproof.

Best of luck and good hunt'in.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Nikon is a TG sponsor and make decent binos. I have the monarchs 8x36's and with the chest harness they are priceless. With your thick cover Lanier these would be perfect.

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/outdoor/monar_x36/index.htm
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
I bought a pair of Steiners, I found them on sale. If you look around you can get a pair for the kind of money your talking about. But as was said above....get the best pair you can afford!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
my son bought a pair of the Bushnell that are around $125, forget the model. They are as good if not better than my nikons.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Froggy - When you decide on a pair of bino's take your time in searching for the best price. There may be a plethera of sources that carry that particular bino.

I spent ~4 hr over 3 days searching the net and found my bino of choice over a hundred dollars cheaper than Bass Pro. The range in prices found was ~$200.... an especially high range when the binos I ended up procuring went for ~$230.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Hey Froggy,

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the Nikon product line or binos in general. There have been a lot of advancements made in the last 5 years in optics (for all manufacturers) so you're buying at a great time to get the most for your money.

If you want shoot me a PM with what you're looking to spend and I'll send you some options to look at.

Thanks,
CJ

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I bought a pair of Minox last year and am totally impressed with them.  I dont know if they are what you are after but I would at least give them a look

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Keep in mind that exit pupil size is as important as entrance pupil size, ie: if you get a pair of 10x42's they have less light gathering ability than 8x42's just by the exit pupil lens ability to transfer light being better on the 8x's.

I have tested Monarchs side by side in low light, same entrance lens size. The 8x let you see objects in shadow in much darker conditions than the 10x by a fair margin. The difference was seeing an animal and maybe not seeing it.

IMO 8x is a much more forgiving power than 10x as well.

I own Burris Fullfield II 8x42's- fantastic glass and performance and never thought, gee I need to spend more money. But they do not make the model I have anymore since being bought out by Steiner. These are comparable to Monarchs though I think they are better by a smidge. May still find a few on sale if they are not all gone yet.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Just a suggestion, go some place that stocks all the brands and try them out. I went to the bass pro HQ in MO and tried them all. And what fit me best was the Zeiss conquest 8x30. I hunt only in the east, dense swamps and mixed hardwoods so these fit me well. I would have spent more if I found a set I liked better but I liked these best. I think they are still around $650.00 Good luck in your search, Glen

Offline PArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
The new Redfield binos  are pretty nice. I have the 8x32 Rebel and they are great! Not too pricey either.
Shoot Straight

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
I have a pair of Meopta MeoStars that i have put side by side with Swarovskis, and while there is a difference, it sure wasn't a $1500 difference.

I have also put them side by side against Steiners, and the Steiners weren't even in the game.

I can glass for 8 hours with my Meoptas and have no eye fatigue. Great light gathering, and clear right to the edges of view.

The Cabela's 'European' are basically a pair of Meostars made for Cabelas: $100 less, but warranty goes through Cabela's rather than Meopta USA.

Great glass is worth every penny you spend.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Bucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
I would suggest finding a store that stocks a lot of different bino's. When I went to get a new pair, I was convinced that I wanted the Nikons. Turned out that I couldn't see out of them as well as some of the other brands. I ended up buying a pair of Sightrons. For me, they were as clear as the Swarovskis and half the price.
Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©