3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help picking out Binoculars....input please  (Read 640 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help picking out Binoculars....input please
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
I have treid and owned A LOT. I currently have Swarovskis that I feel were a great investment. However, I was REALLY impressed with Nikon Monarchs and that is what I would own in that price range.   BILL

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Sightron 8x42 SII Series. They have upgraded to SIII with magnesium body and now more money. I liked them so well I have 2 pairs, 1 for the pack and 1 for the house. You can find the SII for a little over $200. They work great if you wear glasses.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Bucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by non-typical:
Sightron 8x42 SII Series. They have upgraded to SIII with magnesium body and now more money. I liked them so well I have 2 pairs, 1 for the pack and 1 for the house. You can find the SII for a little over $200. They work great if you wear glasses.
8x42 SII is what I have. Although they were more than $200 when I got mine.
Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare?

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Swift 8.5 x 44 Audubon roof prisms.  $300-360 new on the net. I've had or tried the high priced models(Zeiss, Swaro, Leitz, Leicas).  You won't match the Swifts for less than $1000 IMO, and even many that cost more. They have incredible clarity and long eye relief & are a great value for the dollar paid....and you won't lose a fortune if they are dropped, damaged, or stolen. (yes, I know about the warrantees on some brands of the $1-2000 glasses....I'm not talking them down, just talking these up!)  

Many will disagree with this, mostly because they already spent the big bucks and haven't yet tried a pair of Audubons.   I've used the best glass on several sheep and goat hunts, and lots of other hunts as well.  If I were to draw for sheep again now, I'd be carrying the Swifts and/or my old 10 X 50 Swaros, and a good scope.  And....I just bought a pair of Vortex 6 x 32s.....they are NOT as good as the Swifts. No hunter has ever looked through my Audubons and said it wasn't an amazing view for the $!
Tom

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Check out the Zen Rays. I recently purchased a set of 8x43 ed3. $416.00 well worth it!  :thumbsup:

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Check out the birdwatching forums.  Lots of good info on binoculars over there.

Cornell put out a nice write-up a few years ago ....  http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

I have the Nikon Monarchs which I like and a pair of Eagle Optics 6x that I like a lot too.

You don't have to spend a lot to get a really good set of binoculars (you can spend 5-10x more than my Eagle Optics, but they won't be 5-10x better.)

Offline Okie man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
binoculars.com has a lot of info on binoculars and good prices with free shipping. I am looking at a vortex model there that has great reviews and only $150.
When the moment of truth arrives, the time for preparation has passed

Offline Matt D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
I am finishing my second season with a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x42, and would highly recommend them in the $200 range.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Plenty of good recommendations here already so I won't get into that. I will just say that for hunting in thick cover and the eastern part of the country, I would stick with 8X or less. Good field of view, less weight, easier to hold steady and focus. I love my 8 X 30 Swarovskis, but I have had them for 20 years. I save my 10 x 42 Kahles for out west.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
I second that you are in fairly thick cover and don't have the steadiest hands, go with 8x, not 10x.  8x is all you need.  In fact, I have a nice pair of 8.5 and a cheaper, lighter pair of 6x, and mostly end up using the 6x.

Vortex are also good for the $$$ (especially a discontinued model).
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
I use 6X leupold. I have a pair of 10x, but like the 6x way better. both pair top end leupolds
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
My favorite bowhunting pair is the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. They are as bright as any other pair I've tried.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Consider those binocs a lifetime investment. I felt the same way you do about spending the money for a really good set of binocs. I found a good deal through camera land (internet) and bought a pair of Leica 8x32's. It's hard to express how much I can pick out with these. I remember picking out a nice buck with them that I just could not see otherwise, and finally followed the deer through the tangle and got it. Would not have even known the buck was there let alone take it without those binocs. Find the best binocs you can by looking through them and do what saving etc you need,buy them and you will never look back or regret the decision.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
I have had the same pair of Bushnell perma focus 10x40 for a long time. They are with me from squirrel til late goose and take a beating. If I ever break or lose them I will buy the same thing.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Hey Brother, I was in the same boat as you awhile back. I wanted a set of new Bino's. I owned a set of Steiner 10x30's, which I had used for 5 or so years. I didn't think my eye would be able to tell the difference between my Stieners and a set of Ziess Conquests.... Sure they are suppose to be better , but could my human eye tell a difference, so much that I would spend 600.00 for them ? I brought my Steiner's and headed to Cabelas , I picked out a spot to look at and used my Steiners first. I then picked up the Zeiss Conquest 8x30's and looked at the same spot...... " Holy, Crap" was the first words I spoke.... The second thing I said was " I'll take them" . It was and is a very noticeable difference. If you can afford to, Buy Higher End Glass. You won't regret it..... Believe me
                Tu Compadre, Sutty
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
1) Go to 24hourcampfire.com's hunting optics section; this gets kicked around endlessly by very knowledgeable people and industry reps.
2) If you want extraordinary glass for pretty reasonable $$ (~$400), go with the Zen-Ray recommendation or Eagle Optics' equivalent. I've seen their 7x42, and it's staggeringly good.  Zen-Ray is having a sale on their newest and best that ends Saturday.  Everyone raves about these as being nearly imperceptibly inferior to the big 3 for a small fraction of the price, though long-term durability is not yet determined.
3) If you want to go really cheap, go with the Leupold 6x30 Yosemites porros (~$80).  Pretty terrific, bright, good image. I bought a pair as truck/kid binocs and love them.  Don't go with the 8x30's.
4) Not all the Vortex lines are that great, but the better lines are, and they have a great warranty.
5) Doug at cameralandny.com is highly regarded for ethics, service, and knowledge, has varying deals going all the time, and carries a broad variety.  I bought a pair of refurb 8x32 Leicas years ago from him that I carry all the time.  They look(ed) and perform like new.
6) All these other suggestions are good.  Nikon Monarchs, Minox, Meoptas, etc. are all fine choices.  The Swift Audubons porro prisms described above are just fantastic glasses. Porro prisms are kind of their own thing; much better view than price-equivalent roof prisms, a little bulky, not as moisture resistant. In general, it has gotten pretty hard to go badly wrong in the mid-range.  Like the Nikon guy said, things have changed a lot--for the better...
7) I have a new pair of excellent Minox 8x33's I'll give a good price on.  Received as a gift I didn't need.  PM if interested.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
I may be in the minority here, but I like big glass.  At least 10X50s.  Yes they are heavier - but I'll be watch animals long after the 8X30s or smaller are struggling to see in the shadows.  Good glass saves a lot of shoe leather!  I recommend that you get the very best you can afford.  Buy once - cry once.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
i've got a pair of 8x42 nikon monarchs that are just incredible in every way.  it pays big time to have really good glass - makes a difference in the field under all conditions.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
Oh, one other point I've heard but don't really have direct knowledge of: though most all hunters seem to like roof prisms for their durability, compactness, and trendiness,  I've heard that the increased binocular effect of porro prisms help with "opening up" and giving a sense of depth to the thick woods you are hunting in.  Roof prisms do it, too, and that's why I carry some kind of bino nearly all the time I'm hunting, but the effect is supposed to be magnified noticeably with porros.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
Lanier,

I have owned a set of $1400.00 Zeiss 10x42's along with 2 sets of cheaper but still very nice, nice 10x40 & 10x42 Windriver Leupolds both roof prism and poro prism.. I found all 3 sets to be hard to hold steady @ 10 power for any length of time... I found it much better to use them on a camera tri-pod for aditional steadiness... That was not convenient at all.           :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©