3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need help with hot melt inserts please  (Read 345 times)

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
need help with hot melt inserts please
« on: November 16, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I need the sage advice of the wise....  I've been looking at the previous posts to glue brass inserts with hot melt- tried most and am pulling inserts out after shooting the arrows for a bit.

I find that the glue sets extremely fast (using 3ra melt with a wal mart glue gun) and I guess it's not enough glue?  Should I be applying glue in a different manner?

I'm currently shooting GT hunter XT and 100 grn brass inserts.  

Thanks everyone.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: need help with hot melt inserts please
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
I wouldn't use hot melt on inserts for carbons. I use two part epoxy with good results. Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
I've had pretty good success with carbons using Ferr-L-Tite Cool Flex. It's designed for a lower melting point so it doesn't damage carbons. I like it for tuning, when I'm still playing around with weight and inserts. But once you know what you want to run, epoxy it and fuggetaboutit.

Offline jsirm20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
I used hot melt on some carbons, same glue and method that some claim is adequate. I had inserts come loose after some impacts. Ill be using epoxy on most arrows now. The hot melt may be worth using if your experimenting with insert weights on a few arrows.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Get you a good quality hot melt and you will not have that problem.  Look at the "glue stick" I think it is called from 3 rivers or Big Jim.  Been using it on everything for about 10 years and have not lost an insert yet????
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Thanks all.... I'll have to get the epoxy

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Hey stringstretcher... I did get my glue from 3RA... any tricks you learned over the last 10 years you could share?  thanks.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Make sure to wipe the inside of the shafts out good with acetone or denatured alcohol.  Did you get the glue sick, or some other kind?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Greenbear,

Get ahold of Tim at Kustom King and get one of his "big block" hotmelt glue blocks. He recommended it to me and I've used it with both brass and aluminum inserts in my Axis shafts with no pullouts (even had to wiggle a few practice broadheads out of stumps after going through my shooting bales).  Tim says its a softer hotmelt but it works great.  I used to use epoxy, but this is all I've used for the last two years.  Allows me to go back and forth between brass and aluminum inserts if I want to change my front end weight with same heads.

Here's the link from Kustom King website:
 http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Quick-Stick-Glue/productinfo/6600/
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks so much everyone.  Got a link to Mr. Big Jim's video for "how to".  I tried searching youtube for it, but to no avail- now I have access to it and will be under its tutelage.

I now have the glue sticks and they just haven't worked great for me.  I'm sure they are perfectly capable with the right technique, which I obviously lack.  I have cleaned the shafts with acetone, followed by denatured alcohol and finally a water rinse.  

I'll be studying the video for sure, and will have to try the melt in which was recommended.  

Thank you to everyone for your help.  I'm sure this is a topic that is brought up now and again and I am appreciative of the collective advice.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
The hot melt that Big Jim sells is awesome stuff, I have always used JB weld or epoxy but after trying the hot melt from Big Jim, I wont go back.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BBWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
I use hot clue from 3-Rivers on carbon and have never had any trouble pulling out. Just make sure you have cold water to dip them in asap, and if you break a arrow you can heat it up and pull your insert out and use again.
Tomahawk SS 62" 52#
Dala 60" 50#

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Drew is someone I admire a lot, but will disagree on the hotmelt.

I worked PT for 2 yrs for a large wholesale archery distributor in their smaller retail store locally.

All they use is the brown hot melt sticks. They have a "melt pot" that they plug in each AM and we use that all day, adding sticks as we deplete the pot.

Their backstop is masonite on edge with big all thread cranked down. I've nearly threw my back out pulling arrows out of that miserable backstop...and we'd sell arrows, cut them, never clean them and just hot melt alum and brass inserts and take them out to the customer who'd pay for them, turn around in 10 min and shoot them. Only had one insert pull out I knew of in 2 yrs working there PT.

Go figure. I use it at home, but do use a q-tip w/ alcohol to swipe out the inside of GT's. That's it.

White/clear glue gun glue won't cut it though I fear.

I get my sticks from Braveheart...but there are more than one brand I've used successfully.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
I think that Big Jim's is the same one that 3rivers has and it comes from Tom Parson's

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
regardless of epoxy or hot melt the key is to prep the surface on the inside of the shaft. Rough it up slightly with sand paper (sand cloth in the plumbing section is great as you can roll it up without it cracking. Then clean the arrow  well with q-tip with alcohol or acetone if the inserts looks shiny like they may have oils on them use acetone instead of alcohol. Takes a few minutes on a dozen arrows but the inserts will stay in much better regardless of JB, epoxy, cool set hot melt, etc.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
BTW make sure to clean any metal adapters or inserts with acetone (nail polish remover) to get oils off before gluing.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I used a propane torch and melt the glue on an insert with a field point in the insert. Heat up the insert to the point it gets melted glue easily on it by touching the glue stick to the insert. Insert quickly into the shaft as you're twisting. Dip the tip in cool water immediately to keep the carbon from overheating. Never put the heat to the carbon.

But, I now use Gorilla Super Glue. It stays pliable long enough to get a good seat on the insert. But do be somewhat quick about it. Once it seats, it's set.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
It is all in the preparation.

I fill small dish with alcohol or acetone and soak the inserts.

I use a brass gun brush attached to drill to scuff and clean inside of shaft. Then swab using an over sized Q-tip (made for baby ears) doused in isopropyl alcohol or acetone till comes out clean.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
Like others I rough up the inside of the shafts and clean with acetone but also rough up the inserts and clean. I use slow cure epoxy.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
JB Weld 6 hr epoxy for all inserts going into carbon shafts, brass especially.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©