3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with quiver on bow?  (Read 543 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with quiver on bow?
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Have noticed a lot of you hunt with a attached bow quiver.Does that effect the way you shoot?Would I have to practice with a quiver on or not?Could of used one the other day when I missed a spikehorn,he didn,t move far but was right in front of me,could not turn to get another arrow,if I had a quiver on the bow I might have pulled it off.whats your oppinion?
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with quiver on bow?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Depends on the quiver.  I shoot a ligh Hill style longbow, so a heavy bow quiver like a selway really throws off the balance of the bow for me and I shoot like crap.  But, I recently got a light weight Eagles Flight Archery quiver and although I still notice a bit of added weight, it doesn't affect my shooting like the Selway did.  Yes, you should practive with the quiver on the bow to make sure it doesn't affect your shot, or so you get use to it while shooting.

I'm a firm believer that all quivers suck.  They all have their disadvantages and I'm continually all the quest for the perfect quiver.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I struggled and still struggle with my quiver.  I have been using a cat quiver, but recently switched to a bow quiver.  I really like the cat quiver, but I have found the bow quiver to be more convenient.  It adds a little weight to my bow, but it does not seem to affect my shooting.  I do practice with it on.  Good luck with the endless quiver search.   :archer:

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
I prefer a bow quiver. But if you're going to hunt with one than thats the way you should practice.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
I use bow quivers on my boys and always have. For me, I like the extra mass weight. I practice with the quiver on at all times and full (minus 1 arrow). I do have a Safari Tuff back quiver that I love for 3-D shoots. I put my target arrows in it and carry my fully loaded (minus one) quiver through the course. It works for me.
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
I like a bow quiver, not so much that I like it on the bow but it is the most convenient and effecient way to carry arrows.
 Put one on your bow, practice and hunt with it and you will soon get used to it.
 Stick with it and you will save a pile of money by not trying to find the perfect quiver.

John

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
I have a quick detach Great Northern on a takedown Bob Lee and I now find I shoot with it on sometimes and sometimes off, wearing a back quiver. I don't think it effects the bow at all, but it presents a slightly different "look" at the target, but if I go back and forth a lot, it doesn't affect me.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
I sure like hunting with my bow quivers. Yes very convenient. The only thing that makes me second guess this choice is something I saw on a Wensel video. It may have been Barry but not sure. Someone was waving a bow with and without a bow quiver and it was very easy to see more movement is detectable with a bow quiver. I think it was shown from a tree as to see what wildlife see from the ground.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
I have bow quivers and side quivers and prefer the bow quiver for stand hunting. If I am hunting pigs and moving through the woods or swamps I prefer a side quiver. Most of my bows feel fine with a bow quiver and I cannot tell any appreciative difference in my shooting one way or the other.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
I use bowquivers when hunting from treestands. Just one less thing to deal with carrying stands, climbing sticks, etc. Also hanging a quiver in a tree can be a pain.

When I'm primarily ground hunting I'll use a back or side quiver.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
I hate quivers!!!  All of them.  I of course HAVE to use them - but I've yet to find one that is not some sort of compromise.  On the bow - never.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »

I like a small 2 arrow quiver. I always practice with one arrow out as in a hunting situation.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
I have one on my bow all the time so as to be completely used to it. When I remove the quiver the bow feels quite different it shoots pretty much the same for me. I hate the quiver but love the convenience.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I hate shooting a bow with a bow quiver.  Love the arrow master, but for stand hunting when packing a stand and backpack I do like to carry arrows on a bow quiver.  Most times I use a one arrow quiver for a fast follow-up and use the arrow master for extra arrows when hunting with my long bows.  I now have a Dalaa based bow and put on a quick detach bracket for one piece quiver so I can take it off easy on stand and hang it.  I have tried some of the other trad quivers but don’t find they come off and stay together well enough for me to put on and off on stand.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Shedrock, who makes the little 2 arrow quiver?
                        Thanks

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
You have to try it to see if you like a bow quiver, I have a couple different ones if you would like to try them out to see what you like or dislike.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I hunt with a bow quiver on.  At the range, I take my back quiver and leave my bow quiver full of arrows on the bow.  I've never shot any other way so it's always been 'normal' to me and I dont any accuracy effects.
>>>--------->

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Really like bow quivers; they are very handy for getting a second shot...and if you miss a lot, that's really important   :banghead:  and they are good for walking thru lots of brush. I also like the added weight to my RD longbow which is a little too light for my tastes; on my recurve I don't need the weight, but still the other factors make it a necessity for me.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline swifty99

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
I use a bow quiver, generally start practicing with it on a few weeks before season starts but not really much adjustment.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
I use a German Ridge spring arm quiver. I take it off when I get on stand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©