3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with quiver on bow?  (Read 544 times)

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with quiver on bow?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I pretty much use a bow quiver exclusively anymore. I can maneuver much more easily through brush than with a side/back quiver, and my arrows and bow are all in one package. After not being that happy with some of the heavier bow quivers out there, I went to an Eagle's Flight 4-Arrow - very minimal and lightweight. It's the only bow quiver I use now.

I don't find that it affects the way my bow shoots at all, and that true whether it's on my light longbow or my heavier recurve. I generally just leave it on all the time now, whether hunting or target shooting.

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
love my catquiverII pack, always have a single on the bow(3rivers stalker). if im small game'n it's a catquiverII pack,an 8 arrow quiver on bow, and one in the chamber.  :thumbsup:

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »
I shot without one on my bow for 5 years then added one to my takedown recurve. I personally didn't notice anything different other than the bow being quieter. That just my opinion. I love my bow quiver!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
It doesn't seem to affect a recurve much because they are cut closer to center, but extensive testing that Dan Quillen did years ago proved to me that a longbow is made to "move out of the way" at the shot. A quiver slows this movement enough that it will affect the shot.

That has always stuck with me so now while I use a bowquiver, I always take it off once I get in the tree. I think it's mostly physcological but heck, most of what we do is.

Like a few guys have already said, if you're gonna shoot with a quiver on, practice with one on.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
I like a bow quiver for hunting or target shooting. A light weight bow quiver will not noticably affect how your bow feels and shoots. They are very convenient and can even help your bow shoot quieter (in some cases), and in some cases can help improve your shot group.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
I Have shunned the bow quiver for over 40 years,   BUT this Spring  I ordered one from BIG JIM, for the ease and convienence of taking it off easy   for use in a ground blind . I found I did NOT   screw up my shooting with it  after a few practice shots so now for SOME occasions I hunt with it on .
   AGAIN BUT    I hunt primarily from the ground . Twice this year I have watched squirells   react to me lifting the bow  for a shot  because my bright fletching  was moving with the bow and  startled the game . I started carrying some other arrows in the quiver  that are  green and barred grey fleteched to cut down on that reaction .  BUT I prefer Bright fletch on an arrow so Now back to the cat quiver or back quiver for most hunting .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
For years I refused to put a quiver on my bow until my son packed the truck with everything . You guessed it, except my arrows.  I know my fault.  Should have checked on my 19 year old.  I don't leave it on during the summer but come September it on.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
"physcological" Biggie???;^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by 1/4 away:
I prefer a bow quiver. But if you're going to hunt with one than thats the way you should practice.
x2
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
I too prefer a bow quiver. My bows are ILF with longbow limbs and so I have a huge choice of quivers that can be attached. Yes, if you use a bow quiver do so when practicing also. I also have a cat quiver which allows me to take extra arrows if needed.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gary Logsdon:
"physcological" Biggie???;^)
Hah! I guess I deserve that one eh?
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
LOL
Gary Logsdon

Offline EastTexasRedneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Shedrock, What kind of bow is that with the two arrow quiver? I really like that wood grain.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
For me...it depends on the bow that I am shooting.  I have not had much "success" in harvesting game, but have hunted a fair amount in the past couple of years with "Trad" bows.  I've killed tons of foam and paper  :)  LOL!!!   Depending on the bow...an attached quiver can affect my shooting (positive or negative) depending on the bow and rig.  You have to experiment and find out what "YOU" like.  If "YOU" like it...then it is a good set up!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline backstrap_provider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Personally, I would never know if my bow quiver has affected my shooting because it has never left my bow....my mo is that every practice shot I take is preparation for a kill shot.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
Quivers are a compromise and we all have to figure out what works best for us.  I've been hunting with a GN quiver on my longbows for at least 20 years so I guess I've figured it out for me.  What Biggie said about a longbow "moving out of the way" is true so you have to tune the bow and practice with the bow quiver installed.  Usually, it just takes a few less pounds of spine.  If I was going to hunt without a bow quiver, it would be with an Asbell quiver.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Hunted with BQs for years with a variety of bows, still have four of them and use one occasionally...but they mostly gather dust now.  Very convenient for sure but they're just too noticable at close range for my liking...all that fletching movement.  Fletch covers help but the movement is still there.  Same goes for big bright string silencers that seem to float in mid-air when the bow is moved.  The little details can make a difference.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
Practice exactly the way you plan to hunt. That said I don't use a bow quiver as I like for my fletchings to be covered and protected from the elements. That's why I use a Bow Mate side quiver.
James Kerr

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
I shoot almost all of the time with a bow quiver attached.
Really like having the arrows handy and I think the extra mass adds a little stability to the bow.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©