3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is Duco no more???  (Read 558 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is Duco no more???
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Rocky Mt Specialties; sponsor here and great folks.

http://rmsgear.com/arrow_accessories_glue.htm
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Hey Dave  :wavey:  Been wondering how you have been..?

To answer your question, the wallyworld on 24 just west of the G Y plant has had it but last I bought was from Ace hardware. I think Mike at The Nocking Point had some last time I was there too...

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I hit the "family"  dollar and found it for 1.25 and then noticed it at Oriellys auto parts for 2 bucks.... later in the day...
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
I recently saw it at a Family Dollar store here in Mississippi.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Dave
weston has a do it best hardware store that carries it.  I'll second the fletch tape.  Besides that way I'm supporting mike at the nocking point.  U been hunting lately?
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I still Swear By Saunders NPV Fletching Glue!!! It  IS   The BOMB!!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:
Family Dollar is the best source.  If that doesn't work, let me know.
x2

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
Went to an ACE today and all they stock is the plastic model Duco.  Not the original.  I asked, they don't handle the original any more.

So, we have an UPDATE!!!!!!
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 02:35:00 AM »
Paul/KS and Chris, how's things?

I've been real good other than crushing three fingers on my left hand back in July.  If I was a lefty I'd have been in trouble for shooting as it was index, middle and ring fingers crushed from the last joint out to the tip.  They are doing pretty good now but the middle finger break never grew back together because the bone was misaligned and the doctors said due to being crushed, they couldn't put a pin in it.  Doesn't hurt and range of motion is about 98% but I can feel the stub of the broken bone in the middle of my finger pad.  Supposedly it will eventually form a "fibrous bond" out of scar tissue but that could take close to a year or so.

Haven't been bow hunting much at all this year but have been putting all my effort into getting my kids out with rifles.  At 10 years old, Emmett can't pull a hunting weight bow but he can pull a trigger!  He got a real nice 9 point on the first day of the youth season up at the north end of Smithville lake.  One shot at 72 yards.  But I'll leave that story for another time in deference to the forum rules here.

I did have a little buck come in to my Montana decoy Wednesday evening but he was only a 3x2 so not legal.  Sure was funny seeing him react to the decoy.  He got in to about 15 yards from my tree and looked right at me.  Then he looked at the decoy, back at me, back at the decoy, at me etc 4 or 5 times then he just "shrugged" and walked to the decoy.  Same thing happened last year with a little buck.  Both were pulled off course from about 70 or 80 yards out.  Both came in and picked me off in my tree and both did the "look back and forth" thing then decided it was okay and came right in to the decoy.  As far as I'm concerned, they work!

Never had a mature buck come in yet  but the little guys are fooled.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Dave and all, I have two other glues to suggest if you cannot find what you want. I Owned a bow shop and fletched thousands of arrows. I found a cement that is so strong that you cannot pull a fletch off an arrow after it has been out in the weather a year. Its called 3M super household adhesive. It is the ultimate fletch glue. After I started using it in never had one customer complaint out of hundreds of dozens of arrows delivered.,

Another that will work great and is extremely fast is Gorilla Super Glue with rubber added. It is a gel super glue and is much thicker than what you tried.

God bless and good luck, Steve

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Steve, thanks for the leads. What finishes are those glues compatible with?

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Grey, I have used the 3M on just about everything including carbon. I would imagine that the Gorilla super glue will stick about anything too. I have not tried it on a lot of different finishes though.

I do use it on bow tips and some overlays including antler . I have never lost a bow tip with it and that says a lot. It is impact resistant and really sticks. It is a gel so not nearly as runny as regular super glue types.

As to the 3m. I lost an aluminum arrow up in the high mountains. Found it next year after 12 ft of snow had melted off and I could not pull the fletches. I had to cut them off .  It drys flexable and seems to hold forever without drying hard and brittle.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Thanks very much for the info, Steve.
I've located the Gorilla Glue but 3M has an extensive and somewhat confusing array of adhesives. Do you by any chance have a product number or something for that one?

Thanks,  Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
3M Super Strength Houshold Adhesive.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip Sixby!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Steve95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
I just bought some at a ACE. Couldn't find it at Lowes, Walmart or the farmers store. Very happy with this product and don't plan on changing, that's my mind set.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Hey Dave,
Sorry to hear about your fingers Amigo. Glad you are getting out to hunt despite the injury.
Wish you would send some of those slow witted young bucks west...   :)
Hunt safe and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Paul

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Just a word of caution.   I fletch taped this fall.  Never had problems in the past.   Had all my feathers fall off.   If u use it be certain its compatible.   It works well with epoxy finish not for a hill of beans on water based.

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I bought two tubes of Duco Cement at the Family Dollar store (not to be confused with Dollar General) in Red Oak, TX for $1.29 each.  It's the only place that I know of that carries it locally.  Otherwise, I've bought it before from 3Rivers, another sponsor on here.

Curious to try that 3M Super Adhesive, though.  The prolonged and intense Texas summer time heat did a number on some of the fletchings on which I used the Bohning fletch tape.

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
I bought a tube of the 3M super household adhesive from Kmart about 10 years ago, its in the black tube right? I didn't really get a chance to try it, it sat in the tool box for years and then it dried.

I remember it was kinda pricey.  Duco is so cheap and so good, its hard to beat.  Thank you for the tips on the Family Dollar.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©