3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sight Window?  (Read 620 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Sight Window?
« on: July 14, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Hello everyone. I have a question.  It seems that most sight widows are 3 1/2  and some are 5 1/2 inches.   Can someone explain this to me?  

If I am thinking right/ the 5 1/2 widow would allow one to shoot farther, i.e. 3d shoots etc..

while the 3 1/2 is more for hunting??? Does that sound right?  

SO why wouldn't one want a 5 1/2 window for hunting? Seems logical to me? What am i missing?
Blessings,
Steve

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sight Window?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Here is my take on it.The longer window would work better with sights if that is your game.Some shoot with a vertical bow so a longer sight window allows a little better sight picture.People shoot both at longer 3D matches.It comes down to personal taste.A longer riser will usually make a longer bow and most people find them more stable for target work.A shorter riser and bow will usually be easier to use in tight spots like thick hunting cover.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Steve -- perhaps I'm a bit off your topic, but -- I have found, strange as it seems, that I shoot much better with any and all bows (necessarily, longbows) that have NO sight window, than I do with centershot bows, whether recurve or hybrid longbows. Just doesn't make sense, yet is true for me. Relating this to your question -- a longbow that's not centershot has NO sight window per se ... yet, has an unlimited vertical sight field. Who knows? Like most everything in life, it gets real personal. I say, shoot whatever YOU shoot best with, and like all matters of faith, don't question it. Dave

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
A longer sight window will allow you to shoot shorter, not longer, with a sight.  Sight window length doesn't necesarily have anything to do with riser length.  Good luck....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©