3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Reading in your stand  (Read 493 times)

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
Reading in your stand
« on: November 17, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
Kind of a dumb question but for those of us who read while in a tree stand, what do you do with the book when a deer comes along? Do you just put it on the platform, in your pocket? I've never done it and was thinking of what to do when I was in my stand a couple of days ago.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reading in your stand
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
I have a Kindle. I just balance it on a limb or something similar...each tree stand set up is a bit different.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
I don't get it. Why do you go to the woods and read a book? How can you concentrate on the sights, smells and sounds if you're in Blackthorn Texas chasing cattle rustlers?

Maybe it's just me.........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
I enjoy taking my Bible out hunting with me and reading it during those less active hours. As soon as the sun hits a point when animals really start to move, whether that's in the morning or evening, I put the book down. I can only watch the same squirrel for so long.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
trouser pocket / last one i read during a 3 days hunt was Dalva from Jim Harrisson
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
I haven't been doing any reading....but when I did I just kept my pack open and slipped it in.  This year though I've been just sitting out.  I find myself missing things if I'm not looking around.  I may find I need to move my stands a few hundred yards b/c the deer or turkeys are moving in another part of hte woods.
>>>--------->

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
I hang my back pack on the tree with it splayed open and something soft inside to put the book quietly on. Be sure look around every few paragraphs.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Like Biggie, I don't undrerstand, you must miss so much.... And a kindle, that I couldn't do.
So I guess it is not just you Biggie!!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Reading in the stand! I have a hard time staying awake let alone read, sometimes I think I hunt just to get a uninterupted nap.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying that they go to a tree and just read ofr 4 straigh hours. I, too, enjoy watching birds, squirrels, coons, and all the other little creatures. I also like to read. Big deal. Hunting is what each person makes it to be. No harm if someone does it a bit differently.

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
I read my bible too.
see

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
I download ebooks onto my iphone to read when sitting long stretches. Usually I just set it on the ground, or slip it into the small pouch I have hanging on the rail of my climber. But, I did have deer appear real close once, I stuffed it up my sleeve. I like it because its small, and I can turn the page with just a slight swipe of my finger. No pages rustling etc. Like mentioned previously, when the busier time of the day approaches, i shut it off.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Download books onto my IPhone..

I read all the time, doctors office, waiting for any appointment, slow time while in a tree.. The phone slips into any pocket or hand muff..

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
I have a pocket Bible that I read but not consistently. More read a little, meditate a lot while enjoying creation. When I see game I slip it in my left jacket pocket. It's a really small version and slips in their quickly.
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline Mic W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Kindle reader on my phone...turn the screen brightness down real low.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
MicW ever been told you look like Fred Bear   :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
I don't think anyone is saying that they go to a tree and just read ofr 4 straigh hours. I, too, enjoy watching birds, squirrels, coons, and all the other little creatures. I also like to read. Big deal. Hunting is what each person makes it to be. No harm if someone does it a bit differently.
Now don't get riled up. Nobody said there was anything wrong with it. 8-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Just this past Monday evening my buddy Bruce and I were across each other in deer stands near a feeder and Bruce was reading the latest issue of Traditional Bowhunter...I heard all this racket and saw his magazine tumbling to the ground and I just   :biglaugh:  cracked up as he went down to retrieve his reading material...Two minutes later I grunted on my grunt tube and went to lay it down on my seat cause the string got lost and I heard a noise hit the ground so I looked over to Bruce and now he's    :biglaugh:    :laughing:  cause my grunt tube rolls off and tumbled to earth...

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:

Originally posted by TxAg:
Now don't get riled up. Nobody said there was anything wrong with it. 8-) [/b]
Not to worry, my panties aren't in a bunch....yet  :)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
Double post

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©