3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Montana hunters  (Read 421 times)

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
Montana hunters
« on: November 17, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
How has your season been? Our deer numbers are down over here at lease where I hunt. bad winter last year then flooding and I found a bunch of dead deer before the season started. went to a spot the other day that in years past I have had good luck and the deer really like to rut in and found very little singe. A few small rubs and Two little scrapes.
 I have been hunting two deer for the last three years found one of them dead in the spring (picture below) and the other was shot by a rifle hunter this last weekend. Now I dont even know where there is a muture buck living I did pass on one that will be nice next year if he makes it.
Here is a picture of the one I found dead never could get him any closer then 35 yards. seen him 10 times any where from 35 to 75 yards but never within my bow range.

This is the one I passed on earlier this here he is a 5x5 with kickers coming off both g2s not a real good picture but I hope he makes it another year or two. If you look he has a messed up shoulder and a gash on his belly but I dont think that they are related he gets around just fine and dose not even have a limp I had him about two yards from my stand one time. and I think a bow hunter took a shot at him and thats where the gash came from.
Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana hunters
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Sorry the other picture was way to big I will try to resize it.
Gary Gentry

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
I'm in Miles City. Numbers are WAY down in this area.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Way down here in Glendive also. I have come across a dozen or so dead ones along the Yellowstone river bottom I typically hunt,and have heard of plenty more dead ones found along the river this year. I've backed out of my whitetail spots and have been trying to find a muley to have a crack at which has not been easy either. The past two winters have'nt been kind to them or the antelope either, I'm still having a blast out in the hills though.

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
ANY OF IT HAVE TO DO WITH THE WOLfs???

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
No, a friend has a ranch on the Musselhell and they lost a lot to EHD.He thinks they lost at least 50% of the whitetails.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
No there are very few wolves over on this end of the state hard winters and disease two years in a row. lots of flooding this last spring was real hard on the fawns too. I have seen very few does and fawns more little bucks then any thing. but still the numbers are way down kind wish fish and game would of just shut it down. but they didn't  after the gun season you might not have any deer left.
Gary Gentry

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Western ND lost 75% or more to EHD as well.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Yeah its bad. I live right on the ND border I fact I could hit it with a arrow from one of my stands.
Gary Gentry

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Its hard to say.  I think our numbers are down.  But, starting several seasons back they started offering up to 5 doe permits in the valley.  I thinks its taken its "desired" effect.  Insurance companies and ranchers +.... Deer lovin trad hunter  -.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Over on the Madison, we'd see 30-50 deer during a morning or evening sit, now not so many, think you're right the number of B tags sold is having an effect!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
I think we are down here areound Billings as well...I am seeing a few but near the numbers of just a couple years ago.  I also know HUNTER numbers are down.  Saw it in the gazette and havent seen that many guys on my favorite BLM and State Plots.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
The whole state had a hard winter, and I think it's taken it's toll on fawn mortality (last years), that did'nt make it through.   We have wolves, but the deer don't seem as much affected by them as other species.  

There seems to be a lot less deer, to me this year.   I'm having a tough time filling a doe tag!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Larry O. Fischer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
EHD hit us hard around Forestgrove. Found several dead deer during September and October. The deer that usually hang out in the creek that we overlook have disappeared as well. Hard winter, wet spring and lots of stagnate water.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
I agree with Mark. I my area we had a very rough Winter and Spring.

I found 7 dead fawns in and around our sheep barn this spring.

Curled up just like a dog, sleeping. By the number I counted we our

down 70-80 percent. Have not filled a tag.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
I might just bag it if I dont find me a good buck. Switch my focus to bunnies with my bow I suppose.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
What is EHD and does it effect Mule deer as well as whitetails?
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Stands for Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease. It is transported by a biting midge. Similar to bluetongue. Most affected deer die within 36 hours. Don't know if it affects mulies or not. Read "The Deer Of North America" by Leonard Lee rue III. Has lots of info about the disease and others.

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Interesting. I live just south of the MT border, but it seems to be a similar story around here.

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Yes EHD can effect mule deer also.  It is typically on a smaller scale with muleys than whitetail, at least here in Idaho

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©