3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sovereign Archery  (Read 318 times)

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
Sovereign Archery
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Anybody have one of the old bows from Sovereign Archery? If so, how do you like it and which do you have?
David

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sovereign Archery
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
I have a Ballistik, 60", 52@28"...extremely smooth, fast and shock free. One of the best designs. Grip fits me perfectly. Too bad these aren't still in production, but with John's machinery up for sale, hopefully someone will take over where John left off.

Offline rich e

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Back in the mid '60's, my Dad bought a Golden Souveign Knight for himself and a Mace for me. We both loved those bows, but when I got into those other bows I sold my Mace. I currently own my Dads Knight, and this summer I picked up a used Baron. I like shooting both of them, of course the Knight is special to me because it was my Dads. Cancer took him in '89. Anyways I think the Pearson Soverigns were vary good bows.

Offline BernieH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
I don't think he was referring to the Pearson Sovereign bows. I believe he's asking about John Fazio's Sovereign Archery bows.

I have a 57" 55#@28" Ballistik. It's super fast and very quiet. An awesome shooter but you have to do your part when shooting. If you have any form flaws the Ballistik will point them out.
Bernie

Offline rich e

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Sorry, my mistake.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
Hate to hear that Sovereign Archery is no more.  I own a Ballistik 58" that is 54# at 26 1/2".  I have killed over a dozen deer with it.  Very smooth and quick.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Sovereign Archery closed down due to John Fazio's health. I think he passed on.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
I had a 64 inch Ballistik. Probably the fastest bow of equal draw and weight of any I've owned or shot. The limbs were sensitive though, but easy to straighten also.  I didnt like the factory finish back then, kinda sloppy. But the bow was the best performing custom I've ever shot. I'd compare it to an alloy risered target bow.
David M. Conroy

Offline Festivus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »
Please post pics guys!!!  :)

I love those bows and would like to see some more examples. Especially of unstrung and full draw pics.

I have heard that those limbs were "sensitive" but never knew what anyone meant by it. Are people saying that they were easy to twist or not stabile and hard to shoot?

Anyway, I hope someone steps up and buys his forms and equipment and keeps the line alive.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
Ahhh, the Sovereign Ballistik. Now there is a sweet bow. I don't have one on my rack but wish I did. John knew what he was doing with that one. R.I.P.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
My limbs twisted easily yes. Had to be carfeful stringing.
Very easy too shoot though, and easy to straighten.
David M. Conroy

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I had many of John's bows. I tested them against many high end and low end recurves. They were the smoothest and fastest of all tested. You had to be careful stringing the bow due to the static recurve design. If you use a stringer carefully you should be OK. You could also minimize the risk by keeping the bow strung.

Jim (Heydeerman) I sold you that beautiful Bacote that was a great shooter.

John was a nice guy. I had nothing but good dealings with him. He passed away from (I believe) lung cancer. Rest in Peace John. May God have Mercy on your Soul.

If there is someone that has a desire to be a bowyer they couldn't do better than getting John's forms. I will bet that there is a lot of important info to go with it.

I had many Ballistiks and a Trident. I would love to pick up a Sonoran to try. I bet that was a shooter too.

Having said that out of all the recurves we tested these two bowyers, that are still making bows performed as well as John's bows. Kevin TerMaat at Rivers Edge Recurves followed John's design and also makes a fast smooth static recurve. Also we found that Ben Hamilton at Hummingbird makes a bow that seems just as smooth and fast as the more static tipped recurves in our tests. This testing was just backyard stuff with a chrono. I got rid of my chronos now, because I found most of bows out there, new or old perform good enough for my purposes.  

I imagine there are others that we didn't test that are near equals also in performance, but you can't go wrong with Sovereign.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Festivus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 04:47:00 AM »
So what I am gathering is that some people had trouble stringing them.

I assumed that they were a challenging bow to shoot. I never bought that and never really believed it. But there were people implying that.

How were they in comparison to other bows in other shooting qualities?

I know they had great speed and smoothness. Just wanted to know other shooting qualities.

Pics too if you have them. Thanks.  :)

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 05:38:00 AM »
Gil,

:knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:

I know who has it and I inquired about getting it back and he want's double what I sold it for.

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Seemed there was always controversy around John but he sure made a heck of a bow.  I always found him to be a pleasure to work with and took time to work with youth!!

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I owned several and as mentioned RER bows made a 3 piece much like Johns. Very fasy and quiet but very sensitive to a very good if not perfect release. John was always good to me but he was tough to deal with, did not like the internet and was tough to get a hold of. He made me two 3 piece T/Ds and without a doubt the fastest bows I owned to that point, now my Border Hex5H's take that honor. John has passed on and I would love to see someone buy his forms and as said I am sure there is info on building the bows that come with them!! Hope to hear more on what is happening with them!! John once said to me "It is not about the amount of days in your life, but more about the amount of life in your days!" True very true!! RIP John Fazio!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Shawn I always wanted to build my own bows, but I have come to realization I am a wood butcher. If I can't make it or fix it with a hammer, I can't do it. Otherwise I would jump on the forms.

I contacted his wife, not to buy the forms, but to see if I could help. She said they were OK. I never asked about the forms, but I am getting tempted. There has to be a wannabe bowyer on here somewhere that would benefit greatly and get a great start in bow maiking with these.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I had a friend that had a a 50`s style recurve John made. I don`t know the name of it but it smoked an arrow.I also believe he had a lot to do with the Chapparel longbows.They were great as well.RC

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
John also designed a very good hybrid longbow called the Chaparral Kaibab. I was placing an order for one when it was announced the CK was no longer going to be built.    :banghead:  

I would liked to have shot his 64" hybrid longbow design, but it wasn't meant to be.    :(
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Gil I have a 60lb sonoran if youre interested. I contacted 2 bowyers about buying johns stuff as well as johns wife.  Gil you know one of the bowyers really well! Wink wink! I've owned a lot of johns bows and had an all carbon sonoran on order when he passed. He was an excellent bowyer and an even better person. I miss the man.
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©