3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: simmons shark vs. zwickey delta  (Read 292 times)

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
simmons shark vs. zwickey delta
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
so i have been noticing that simmons shark broadhead is starting to become popular. and the old zwickey delta is starting to come out of its swing.personnaly i like the zwickey but the simmons is not bad either. what do you trad gangers think? share some of your experiences from them.
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: simmons shark vs. zwickey delta
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
The sharks look cool but are a pain to sharpen, Zwickey has been around for how long and not much change to design,and still gets the job done. And comes out of the box sharp.Simple,effective,and legendary = Zwickey.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I have been toting some Sharks around this year.  Havent put them into meat yet but they fly great for me,  they are put together real nice and I enjoy sharpening them more so than a straight edge for some reason. And I can get them SHARP!  Very anxious to make a big ole hole with one Im not gonna deny it!   :saywhat:

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
When I started looking for a broadhead for my trad gear a well seasoned trad shoot compared zwickey to a 1911.  Often copied but never improved. They have been doing the job for years.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Ain't tried the sharks, but i've been shooting the 2bl Delta for probably near 40yrs. A sure case of if it ain't broke, don't.......................

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
I bought some sharks with intent to use them this year. Looked like good heads. I just couldn't see me using them over my deltas. Maybe if they made them in green.  :thumbsup:  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
When I started looking for a broadhead for my trad gear a well seasoned trad shoot compared zwickey to a 1911.  Often copied but never improved. They have been doing the job for years.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I have shot them both and when you get them sharp they both work very well. The Sharks fly better every time with minimal tuning vs. a bit of work with the Deltas IMO ... I shoot the vented Tiger Shark

I just bought the Simmons Steel Master thru the classifieds and it makes the Sharks profile much easier to sharpen and I'm sure it would make quick work of a Delta edge also.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Elkken is right about the Steel Master, it gets those Sharks scary sharp in no time. The main thing is light pressure, especially when you get the burr and touch them up with the ceramic sticks.

I've also been using it for knives and straight-edge broadheads. The ability to use a file to set the bevel, especially when you have to take off a substantial amount of metal, and are able to keep that consistent angle is key, and sure saves on wearing out stones.

Between my KME and the Steel Master I can keep all my heads and small to medium knives good to go.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
I`ve used both. The Deltas are easier for me to sharpen in the field but I can get the Simmons plenty sharp and they have been around for a long time as well.AS far as blood trails the Simmons rule.RC

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
Killed a deer with sharks but must agree that they are not as easy to sharpen.
The sharks will do the job. I hit a deer high in the spine with a 44 lbs LB and it cliped it dropping the deer wher it stood.

The Z deltas will be on wooden shaft next year however for a winter bow project.
Slickhead

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
I am a huge Zwickey fan, killed my first deer this year with a Simmons Intercepter, I spine shot him and split the vertabrae in two, and the finishing shot to the lungs killed him in under 30 seconds, the simmons came out of the spine in perfect shape, fact is i sharpened it and mounted it on another arrow, I like them.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I am a huge Zwickey fan, killed my first deer this year with a Simmons Intercepter, I spine shot him and split the vertabrae in two, and the finishing shot to the lungs killed him in under 30 seconds, the simmons came out of the spine in perfect shape, fact is i sharpened it and mounted it on another arrow, I like them.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I have never tried the Simmons heads, but I am a Zwicky fan.  I have killed many many deer with 4 blade Deltas, but as far as a blood trail goes... well you would have to ask my Dad or 7 year old son.  I am color blind.  :dunno:  

I do see about 85% or so of the deer drop, that is a definate plus.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Icandraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I have never tried the Zwicky Deltas, but I have used the Eskimos with good luck. I have a new setup  this year than I have been using and I am shooting the Simmons Intercepter. I just got a chance the other day to try them on game. I shot two does with them. I will say I'm well pleased with their perfomance so far. They fly good, penetrate well and excellent blood trail. Both time I had the arrow pass through and stick in the ground. One deer went about 60 yards the other about 40 before they expired. The blood trail started at point of impact and continued steady until the end. Probably most quality broadheads that are sharp will do the same with good shots, but I think I'm a new fan of Simmons!

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I shoot the Simmons Tigersharks and they leave some amazing holes and blood trails!  I use the hewlett jewlstik and razors edge broadhead guide along with Chris's sharpening tutorial and they are blistering sharp.   I really like the big cut concave heads. Penetration is very good.  Dave at Simmons is a good guy and makes a great quality head. Give'em a try and you'll like them!
Black Widow PMA X 46#@30"

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Shot Deltas and Magnus for lots of years.Switched to Woodsman Elites last year,glueing my Deltas back on tomorrow.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
thank you fellas
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
I have shot Deltas and a friend has shot both sharks and deltas. Bottom line is they both do the job fine. Blood trails depend more on presence and location of an exit wound, as well as shot placement. Oh, and a razor sharp broadhead.  ;)
James Kerr

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
I'm trying them both this season.

The Simmons has already performed beautifully!. The Zwickeys are on now.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©