3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad archery on VS channel  (Read 642 times)

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad archery on VS channel
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Was watching VS channel this morning and there was a young man on there Montana deer hunting with traditional gear. What a great job he did in illustrating what traditional archery means to so many of us. The Buck Stops Here was the show.  Has anyone else seen this, and do you know if he is on here. Missed his name, but I sure would like to thank him for pushing trad on tv. Thought the show also gave him a great opportunity to headline his passion. Awesome!

Tim
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad archery on VS channel
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
was the guy using a longbow? i think ive seen that one, would like to see more like it

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Yes, he was shooting a Robertson Mystic, with cedars and what looked like Zwicky 2 blades. Made a great shot on a doe, then later in the show scored on a 5x5. The guy said he grew up in a trad family, father and brothers shoot trad. He just did an excellent job conveying the traditional experience.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
He was a nice looking young fellow with a seemingly very good personalty. I would like to see more of this on the shows. He said his daughters sure like the venison.

Offline PaPa Ron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
I am going to see if I can find that show. It sounds like a good one.
Sarrels BlueRidge SR 60" 52#@28
Tolke TD Recurve 56" 45#@
Dryad 17" Epic riser, multiple limbs

Jesus is My Savior!

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
His name is Luke Strommen, and he is a tradgang member and posts here quite often.   And yes, he did an outstanding job on that show, especially given the limitations of television.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Agree, I saw that last week or the week before and thought it was well done. He is a welcome addition when he is on that show.

I actually think Mike Hanback does a good job with that show as well. He shot (rifle) a giant buck on the last show I saw but displayed some genuine (IMO) emotion at the idea that it was his buck of a lifetime.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
And the name of the show is???

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
I think they had another episode awhile back with Luke hunting with his longbow.  Excellent episodes and hope to see more of him on there.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
Sure would like to catch that one.

Bill

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
The Buck Stops Here is the show and it was a good episode.

What's Luke's handle on TradGang?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
It will air again at 8:30 pm eastern tonight.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
He goes by Milk River Stickman
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
Ive seen hime before...last season he took a nice buck with a robertson recurve..I think he goes by milk river stickbowman..one of his guides or maybe it was his brother...cant recall was using a bear kodiak hunter...would love to see more shows like that one...

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Luke was just a youngun when we hunted his family farm years ago. He's grown into a fine young fella and has been around whitetails all his life. Glad to see he's sticking with the stick.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Thought it was a very well done episode all the way around. If I'm lucky, very lucky, I'll get to share a camp with someone like him some day.

Tim

Venatôr

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Just flipped on VS, the episode tonight is firearm hunts in IL and Saskatchewan.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
I seen that episode...like a breath of fresh air. He portrayed the traditional community very well.

Job well done!

Jason

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Thank you all so much for the positive words.  You all have no idea how much that truly means to me.  I have been worried as heck about how that show would come out since I have absolutely no control over editing and the producers really don't care about conveying our side and passion.  I was wrung out over that horrible shot on the buck and begged them to make it real and not cover it up or edit it as though it was a good shot.  I didn't want any excuses.  I am sorry for that shot, mostly because I didn't want it reflecting on the trad community.  It is so tough to get true trad hunts on prime time, but they are finally starting to realize we are out here and there is a great message to show...the last longbow kill I did with Mike on VS was out of a treestand and it was there most view, highest rating show of all time AND of all field sports shows on all of tv (that's what I was told)...that says a lot for all of you, very cool.  There will be reruns of the show throughout the winter.  I was shooting a Robertson Mystical (replaced by the Primal Styk), cedar arrows, and the great STOS head from my friend Todd Martin in 145 grains.  I would be happy to answer any questions and take critisicm.  Thanks again to all of you, I love this site.

Luke Strommen

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
I saw it a couple times, he does a great job and he's a pretty dam good shot.    :thumbsup:
Larry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©