3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: refinishing?????  (Read 139 times)

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
refinishing?????
« on: November 18, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
I was thinking about refinishing a used bow I just got and had a old TBM that has artcale about it. in it he talks about taking the old finish off the limbs by sanding parallel to the limb. and when he gets ready to put the finish on the riser he tapes them off. but he never said how he refinishes the limbs. Do you use the same finish as you do on the riser? and should you do them last or frist?
Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: refinishing?????
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
one more thing what rugs or plates do you guys like best and why I was looking and there are a few that I have never tried, bear hair, calf hair, and different types of rugs.
Gary Gentry

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Same finish, poly or Tru-oil on limbs as riser. Maybe fewer coats on limbs but I can't think of any reason to tape them off unless you were painting them. As far as rugs and plates - velcro.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
"Vintage" Bear grooved leather riser pad with a narrow strip (paper match size) of leather underneath to make a raised center, and calf, beaver, or (unobtainable) seal fur shelf pad.  

I also like the Martin style leather "shield" that does both the shelf and riser.

Also, if you don't have a radiused shelf now is the time; before refinishing that is.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Scroll down to collecting and there is an excellent article by bowdoc on how to refinish and repair bows.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
thanks every one and I kNew there had to be one some where I went through the how to but never thought about the collecting
Gary Gentry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©