3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: smoothest longbow ?  (Read 844 times)

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
smoothest longbow ?
« on: November 18, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Well, I need some toughts from the tribe - After 20+ years with traditional tackle my shoulder have has been getting somewhat painful - doctor said there is some erosion in my joits there..surprise is, that only right side is painful as I am right handed shooter- so I must forget my 55 - 65 lbs recurves and longbows. I have been dreaming about Black widow longbow, but any ideas, if you were looking for the most smooth (long)bow- what would be your choice?

Thank you!
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: smoothest longbow ?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Ahh - sorry for my spelling!!!  :o  have has...and joits...joints that perhaps should be and shoulder has been getting painful - forget a foreigner his lack with proper English writing !!!
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
For a longbow I would recommend Firefly longbows from Jim Jones theyre just great shooters :D

ILF longbow I would recommend Dryad!

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline seabound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Anything highly reflexed/deflexed, long, and made with bamboo limbs! So many good custom bows out there nowadays it would be impossible to cite one brand.
The only physical manifestation of Zen is archery

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
My choice would be a long one    :D   64" and above.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
X2 what seabound said.  Not to mention, the promotion or criticism of a particular bowyer is a loser in public forums IMHO.  One thing you might do is contact a particular bowyer who's work you fancy and ask at what draw length do their limb designs begin to stack and what materials they use.  Suggest to them that you have joint problems and see how they respond.  I found that having good dialogue with my bowyer really increased my satisfaction in a new bow.
~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Wow! that's a loaded question for many of us who have shot literally dozens of bows.  It would be hard to pick a favorite with so many outstanding choices that shoot similarly.  

BTW, one that I choose may not suit you, so look them over and shoot as many as you can.  You will find it without problems.
Lon Scott

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
I was faced with the same dilemma about 6 years ago.........I dropped down from 58# recurves to a 49# ACS CX. Smooth, fast and  very quiet. It is now all I shoot for hunting and 3 D. I gave up zero performance and never looked back; my son shoots one as well.
I recommend the 64" bow for an average draw.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
I think what you want is a fairly long 66" and up, and realy dead in the hand bow. I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions in the next few days... I Like my Caribow, even at 62", it is realy smooth... That said I,m sure you will be happy with a Black  Widow, as long as it is not to heavy in draw weight and over 66" long!

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Personally for smoothness of draw I would be looking at a limb with foam cores. Have owned and shot a lot of good wood cored bows but for smoothness the foam core limbed bows all seem to win out.

It may be just personal but there seems to be a lot of support for foam cores in that regard from those that own and shoot both.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
I agree with a couple of the others - the longer the smoother.  66" or more.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
go with one on the long side 66-68" most of them are smooth...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
I would suggest a d and r with either foam cores or yew cores. As to the bowyer. I'm partial to me. LOl but as everyone stated there are so many good ones its a matter of quality of workmanship and taste more than how good they shoot.  I would reccomend my new limbs on a belly mounted bow if you seriously want a butter smooth pulling and shooting bow .
The bows everyone has mentioned leave nothing on the table. Just pick one you like , talk to the bowyer and get a great bow.

God bless you, Steve.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Toelke D bow, simply the best of both worlds
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
I'm with Margly on this one with ACS not far behind, but more dead in the hand, especially with the heavier metal riser.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Smoothness of draw, especially in deflex/reflex long bows is not dictated by draw length, the design of the working limbs enables shorter bows to be exceptionally smooth. There are many such bows available today and I have shot a number of them. The one that I have chosen to shoot and have had made for me are Dan Toelke,s Whips. They are superbly smooth-drawing, absolutely stable and QUIET!

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I have 2 of them, and love em    :coffee:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
The smoothest longbow I have ever shot was 62 inches long, and deflex/relex. I have shot many bows of the same make/weight and every once in awhile one will really stand out. I know many archers who will not buy a bow they have not shot first for this reason.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
62" Great Northern Critter Gitter or Bushbow with bamboo cores. Not the fastest but so smooth and shoots where you look. Oh and they are quiet!

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Firefly X3!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©