3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The ultimate bow??? pics added.  (Read 389 times)

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
The ultimate bow??? pics added.
« on: November 18, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Man I have been through over 200 bows the last 10-11 years. I have shot some awesome customs...Sovereign Ballistik and Firefly longbows are at the top of the list. Also some awesome "production" bows. I hate that, those bows don't deserve to be downgraded. At a deer hunt in southern Ohio I shot a buds Bear Grizzly. I found myself thinking "where have you been all my life?".  That bow flat out shot. My wife saw me looking at em on the bay and she just went ahead and got one for me. This bow was made in 1971. That is 40 years ago. It has a dacron string that I made for it. It shoots as good as any bow I have ever shot. I think I have found "the bow" I have been looking for and it is almost as old as I am. I can't see spending a weeks salary on any bow again.

Here are some pics...

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The ultimate bow??? pics added.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Grizzlies are great bows.  I went through a few recurves before I found out I liked longbows better, but I did keep one curve and it's my 70's grizzly.  Congrats on finding "the bow".

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Hey Jim good to see you posting again.    :wavey:   You and I are very simular when it comes to bows    :thumbsup:   By the way I own 3 bows now r/d longbows all by the same bowyer. I also found my "Holy Grail" of bows.         :archer:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I got bad news for you Jim.  

The Grizzlies are indeed great shooting bows.  But I'm guessing you just got bit by the Bear bug, and it is an affliction with no known cure.  Kodiak's, Super Kodiak's, Kodiak Specials, and more Grizzlies, from the 50's thru the 70's all have their fans.  Often times it will also morph into other variations as well which might include Wings, Damon Howatts, and on and on.  
You're on a slippery slope.    ;)    :biglaugh:  

Congrats on a nice bow and a great wife!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline gonzoso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I haven't shot a ton of bows but I got a 70's green Kodiak Magnum for 102$ and I love this thing.  It fits my hand perfectly and shoots where I aim.

I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna get a new bear this winter when I get my new bow.

Bears shoot well and have good mojo.
Samick Sage 50#
1970's Bear Kodiak Magnum 50#

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I was a Fred Bear fanatic until I found Howard Hill! Congratulations on your new found friend. MIKE
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
I too have a 71 grizzly and absolutely love it.  It shoots just as well as bows I have paid five times as much for. It is not "the one"  but it is darn close,  enjoy your new obsession

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
I've narrowed it down to a Hill but that's as close as I've got in 60 years.

The combo of Fred's Spirit in a great shooting bow is pure magic. Good for you bro!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Whip, she had a t-bone and baked sweet potato waiting for me when I got home. I found the other "one" in that lady.

Fellas I don't see a Bear addiction coming up. I just sold a Kodiak 3 pc I didn't care for and have handled one of the new Kodiaks. Didn't care for the grip so I saw no need in shooting it. I am thinking about a new Super grizzly just cause I like the way it looks.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Bentpole, I'm here every day a couple times. I post when something catches my eye.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Hey Jim,Good on ya my friend,Its amazing how we overlook so many things in life.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
This thread needs some pictures.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Well, she's hanging in the man cave off the garage waiting to hit the woods in the morning. She had a glossy finish and I wiped her down with steel wool to dull her down. I also rounded the shelf a bit. I'll put some finish on her tomorrow or Sunday.

I always kinda looked at the Grizzly as a beginners bow. I have a new opinion now.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 05:32:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 05:44:00 AM »
This thread makes me want to pull my old Super Kodiak off the rack, wipe the dust off it and string it up.  Thanks!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 06:01:00 AM »
Welcome to Grizzly country Brother Jim
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
My ultimate bow is my St. Joe River long bow. 52@29" 62" long. Best pointing bow I've ever had.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Can someone tell me how to read the serial number?

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Yup, money doesn't make the bow the perfect one. I've got an older beat up Wapiti that I got second hand that I have a good feeling about. Always drift back to it. A particular Howatt hunter always makes it out with me at least a couple of times too. But I must admit, I've got a couple of REAL PRICEY ones that are pretty darn good too.
David M. Conroy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Grizzlies....great old bows. Good grip,nice feel at the shot.....just darn good!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©