3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fall turkeys anyone?  (Read 185 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Fall turkeys anyone?
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
The few properties that I have to hunt around my home never hold any deer after the corn comes out.  I have verified this for many years with trail cameras and snow cover.  But one of my places has a bunch of turkeys on it right now.  Any advice for hunting turkeys in the fall?  I should let you know, I am the worst turkey hunter on the planet.  So I can use any advice you may have to offer!  By the way, we can hunt them all day at this time of year with a bow, so that may help.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fall turkeys anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I've watched that video before Bill.  Really liked it too!  Great job!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
If you can see where they go from their roosts, then you can set up and ambush them. I have had a fair amount of success stalking them, which is a lot of fun.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Ambush (setting up and waiting), spot and stalk, and busting up the flocks are the way I know of in the fall.  If you know their pattern, ambush is probably your best bet.
>>>--------->

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Jon...

Break up the flock and set up in a make shift ground blind with a hen decoy.  Don't worry about the noise they are already spooked.  Wait a few minutes and yelp a bit.

In the fall turkeys are kinda like quail when the flock get split up.  One or two of the birds are going to call the rest of the flock back together.  Be ready though...sometimes they come pretty quick!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Awesome video!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
Good video. Good footage, good narration, good strategy explanation.

I'm new to archery, but have been practicing and practicing and tuning my equipment with dedication. And this fall was gonna be my first chance to hunt, Fall turkey season in Northern California. I had a property where I could hunt where I had been watching the birds all Summer, trying to pattern them. Practicing my calls and planning potential hunting strategies...

Unfortunately, I hurt my shoulder pretty bad right before opening day! At first I was pretty bummed about it and not one bit happy. However, while I was healing I ended up getting the Master's of the Barebow videos, watching all of them and doing a lot of stretches and exercises for my back and practicing my form. I did a lot of thinking and realized I was also a little overbowed.

Anyways, even though I missed the much anticipated fall turkey season, I think it ended up being a good experience for me and has helped me as an archer. It has also taught me to pay attention to my body and be patient.

All I know is that those Spring turkeys better watch out!!

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Great-Job....
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
I have tried and tried to spot and stalk Fall birds. Always get busted but it is soooo much fun. The only way I have got them is what everyone else has said. Break them up then call them back.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »
I call a lot of birds in the fall. I start out with a couple of kee kee kee runs and follow up with some loud yelps. I give it a couple of minutes than I cut real loud like a mad hen and then put my call away. If there are any birds in the area they will come your way. It may take them awhile and a lot of the times they come in silent. I missed one last week, called in 4 hens and a nice gobler. Three of the hens ran right to me with one yelp and I missed with my Osage self bow at 20 yards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©