3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Choosing the right arrow and other such things  (Read 176 times)

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Choosing the right arrow and other such things
« on: November 18, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
I was shooting my old recurve this last summer, but was struggling with getting it tuned etc, and then i moved to AK. So i am still facing a steep uphill battle with learning what i need to know about setting up a new bow correctly.

Jim @ Black Creek is going to be starting on my Siren TD LB in a couple weeks, and i am staring to think again about what all i need and how to go about setting it up.

My question is, if you have nothing arrow wise to try on a new bow ( i know a lot of you fellas have rooms ful of bows and different arrows) and have to start from scratch, how do you know where to start to get the right arrow? and what comes first, finding the right arrow, or tuning the bow, or is it a simultanious endeavor? I was wanting to shoot woodies,partially because its a LB and they are more traditional, but dont know if that is best.

Whatever you guys and gals can tell me will be a huge help.

thanks
Fin
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Choosing the right arrow and other such things
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Your bowyer is a good place to start. Also go look at Stu's calculator.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
It all works together...you tune the arrow to the bow. Your bowyer is a good person to ask for a starting point...the easton arrow selection chart is another good place to look. It will give you several choices.  I've never used Stu's calculator but I've only heard good things about it.
Oncce you have a rough starting point I'd get one of the test kits from 3 Rivers that will give you a few different individual shafts to try out.

Lastly, theres a good book available that will teach you a whole lot about tuning. Shooting the Stickbow by Anthony Camera is the best book I've read on the subject. He covers pretty much everything you'd need to know.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
thanks guys
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 04:54:00 AM »
I second Tony's book,lots of good info.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
With no arrows, Stu's calculator is a great place to start. A virtual "what if" program.

The only caveat, every box with inputted info has to be correct or you'll be chasing your tail arrow wise.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©