3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Simmons LandShark  (Read 269 times)

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
Simmons LandShark
« on: November 19, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Shot a doe this morning using a 165 grain Landshark that I received from another Tradgang member in a trade.  I managed to get a good edge on it and they fly real well for me.  I used it as a two blade and let me tell you the blood trail made a believer out of me.  The doe went 80yards and I was able to follow the bloodtrail from my treestand with 8 power binos for the first 50 yards.  This trail rivaled any I have had with a three blade head.  Amazing.  I will be sharpening a few more for the rest of the season.
ALDO
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simmons LandShark
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Good ain"t they?

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
The Tiger Shark I used on the doe I took in October did awesome as well.  The claims are definitely true!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Wait til you poke a hole in one with a Treeshark.  Unreal.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Awesome heads!! They leave some nasty holes and short but very wide blood trails. If you sharpen them like Chris's tutorial they get crazy sharp and you'll be sold!!
Black Widow PMA X 46#@30"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 04:30:00 AM »
That Simmons Steel Master sharpening system is an amazing tool for getting those bad boys scary sharp. Works just as good on other 2 blade heads and knives too.

Congrats on the Doe btw!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
without this system is it possible to get them sharp ?
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 05:28:00 AM »
Congrats on the doe Aldo.

I had the same experience last Saturday using the Interceptor. The blood trail was amazing and as Southern Sam described "Short but very wide"

I am very impressed.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Good job Aldo. What set up are you using bow poundage arrow weight? I love the details.

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Good job Aldo. What set up are you using bow poundage arrow weight? I love the details.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
I almost got to see for myself last night.....when I sent one just over the back of a nice spikehorn   :banghead:   they sure do fly good for me and Ive heard nothing but good of them.   And you DONT need that system to get them sharp.   Im sure it works great.   but I dont have it,  and Im getting them like a straight razor.   You can use a medium or fine half round file and finish with ceramic sticks or a jewel stick.....great results!

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Kibok&ko,  you can get these heads sharp by other methods but you will still need a round type file/ stick to get into the concave part of the head.  I found the hewlett 3 in 1 jewlstik to be the best for about $30. The razors edge guide is less than $20.  The reason I'm saying this system is it just plain works!  I can get these heads so sharp its crazy!! Before elk huntin this past Sept I had bald arms and legs from test sharpening.lol

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
MCS, I shoot a 52# @ 26" centaur.  Arrow is easton axis Simmons 2 blade with a 100Gr brass insert, arrow weight 495 Gr.  Does as 95#, shot 11 yards.  Arros fell out of her about 10 yds from shot.  The 2 blade entered horizontal and although the point was between 2 ribs on entrance and exit, the blades caught both ribs on either side on entrance and exit.  I think that is what stopped the arrow from being in the ground.

Kibok&ko, S. Sam has it.  I used a Lansky clamp and the 3 in 1 Jewell stick.  Worked well.  Just need to get an angled clamp I think that will make it even better.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Some guys use the sharpening system you get from Simmons and have good success with it too.  I think its fairly inexpensive.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
thank guys fot the advice !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
I use a chainsaw file, coarse then fine ceramic sticks. If u know how to sharpen...not a problem just use round/halfround equipment.

Here is a two blade slit LOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©