3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best shooting recurve currently made?  (Read 13067 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best shooting recurve currently made?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »
Find yourself a used Palmer Single/double Carbon. That is the closest wood bow to the ACS-CX thats a recurve IMO and I've shot a few different bows myself.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 10:22:00 AM »
I've shot and owned a lot of T/D recurves, imho, the Great Plains SR Swift is the best all around recurve bow made  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  ......Mike

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
I went to Compton planning on buying a certain bow.  I shot a bunch of bows including the one I had my heart set on.  Then I met Ron Foley & his wife.  When I shot one of his recurves I was very impressed.  I couldn't put it down so it came home with me.  I think Ron's still working on his site.   http://www.foleycustombows.com/
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
I love my Blacktail. Draws smooth, shoots straight, is fast enough for me, and it is a work of art. I get to support an in-state guy who built it too.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »
The first bow that popped into my head after reading the first post was the DAS.If your lookin to save money maybe a warf type would fit the bill.What about used,ya said ya like the silvertip.I think we all have our own idea of best so maybe just get 1 of each LOL good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »
There are about as many opinions as there are members on this site. All are the correct choice for that particular guy. My choice is a 60" Black Widow PSAIII 55#@28" it has an Asbell grip and bamboo core limbs.

Not a little known bowyer BUT you can get your bow in 6-7 weeks.

Bill
========>
Aim Small

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »
Mike, sent you a e-mail on my thoughts.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »
Horne bows are well worth a close look,as well.I really like my combo hunter.
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
My Morrison Shawnee / Arapaho is fast, stable and Quiet !!

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 02:45:00 PM »
Crooked Stic Recurve are reasonably priced and super quiet, fast and forgiving, I love mine:-)
I have a wes wallace that is great but does cost more.

Offline Scott Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »
Send in that Fedora and have the grip custom
fit to YOUR hand! Problem solved, I had a fedora
carved on once them risers are for giant hands.
Any good bowyer can do it and it will look
like it came that way.Good luck!
He who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »
depending on how much you want to spend. if I had a mere 775 to 1000 buckaroos i would go on Robertsons site if you can't find a bow out of his inventory there's something wrong!! If you can't spend that much like abel said bob lee 3 to4 weeks and the bows start out inexpensive and go up to big money depending on what you want. check-mate is hard to beat check G+M's inventory also. They have a great selection of different bows in stock.I love that robertson site though Man if I didn't have 3 kids in college.Widow too!!

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
I hve a Schafer Silvertip recurve, and I bought a longbow from Ron Foley at Denton Hill two years ago.  Both shoot great, and I've never dealt with nicer people than the Windauers and Foleys.  You can't go wrong with either in my opinion!

Lee

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »
I've owned silvertip, habu, marriah, martin hatfield, and hoyt gamemaster.

From a consistency standpoint, the gamemaster has been the best with the habu second.

BCD
BCD

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »
Jack Kempf Kwyk Styk, these bows shoot with the best of them and a basic one is around $500 and some change. Static tips are the way to go also, no horn overlays on tips as this reduces speed. Shawn
Shawn

Offline DIAMONDBACK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »
Centaur!oh you did say recurve right?Morrison works for me.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »
all of the above, and more, and more,... and more, and....OOOOPS, let's not forget the $29.99 Ebay recurve and the $200.00 Martin from Cabelas or the $1500 brand new custom made recurve.
Bows are like cars. They ALL will take you from point A to point Z. question is: How comfortable and easy you want it to be?????
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »
Short answer is there ain't no magic bow.  What one guy loves, you may hate, and vice-versa.  As Ken Beck stated to me in a phone conversation earlier this year, "There's not a nickle's difference in the better bows on the market these days".  I agree with that statement 100%.  You can find bows that are faster, bows that are fancier, bows that are easier to quieten, bows that feel a bit different to draw, bows that are more forgiving of a particular form error, more forgiving of arrow spine, etc. etc. etc. and even the perception of these can vary depending on the shooter.  I've shot bows that to me were pretty finicky, but another guy considered it to be forgiving.  Neither of us were wrong, it was just a different perception.

It's no secret I am a dealer for Chek-Mate, and I really like their bows and their service.  It may not be in the best interests of my business, but I'd never say that any of their bows (or anyone else's) is THE BEST, PERIOD.  There simply is no such bow--if there was, one bowyer or company would have the market cornered and be swamped, plus everyone else would be copying that exact design.  You would see everyone shooting that bow, or a copy of it.

To the contrary, I don't recall ever seeing any of the top shooters (the few top IBO shooters I know, plus the guys that regularly win/place in some of the bigger tournaments I go to) shooting the same bow.  If there was one bow that was head-and-shoulders above every other, then it only stands to reason that at least the top shooters would all have that same bow.

Of course everyone that answers is going to reply that the bow they like best is the best--and that is obviously true for them--but it's not a one-size fits all deal.

Opinions can help, as long as they are kept in prospective.  One guy may rate speed as his #1 priority, another a smooth draw, another how quiet his bow is, another how pretty it is, for another it's the latest addition to their arsenal, and maybe another on how much he paid.  To each one, they have the best bow--but that is for them, not everyone.

The only way to find "the" bow for you is to try out different ones.  Even that can be a never-ending quest, as it takes time to get familiar with a bow--just shooting a few dozen arrows through 100 different bows won't make you an expert.  Then consider just how many different bows there are on the market, with more being added all the time.....it's overwhelming.

Hopefully I haven't offended or confused anyone--it's just not a simple question.  Good luck in your search!

Chad

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »
Kempf Kwyk Styk, Border Black Douglas with HexIV limbs, Dale Stahl, all T/D recurves.  I just traded a like new Kwyk Styk to Shawn Leonard so I could sell his BW SA II and be able to pay off the 3 Rivers Dalaa I have on order.

The Kwyk Styk is a very smooth, very quiet, and for a 48#@28" bow it shot a 525 gr arrow with surprising speed and authority.

The Border bow is the fastest, smoothest and most forgiving bow I've ever owned/shot.

The Stahl recurves are just plain great shooting bows.  They shoot where you are looking.  Mr. Stahl is a cabinet maker by trade and he puts some gorgeous woods in his bows.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »
I shot 50# Rick Welch recurve that pulls so sweet and hits like 56# - plus bow,  talk about sweet shooter...I just found my next bow!  :D    :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©