3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 45# bow this year  (Read 743 times)

Offline schnitz

• Trad Bowhunter
45# bow this year
« on: July 14, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
hey yall this year im going to use a 45# bow never hunted with any thing this weak usally 60 to 70# having some back trouble so wont be able to shoot that much any more any advise on hunting with a lower poundage bow would aprecated thanks schnitz

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 45# bow this year
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
I killed 2 deer last year with a 40# selfbow. If you use good sharp 2 blade broadheads and not take shots over 15-20 yds. you should be good on deer sized animals. My 2 cents  :D    :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Schnitz,
I've killed a bunch of critters over the years with bows in the 45# class.  Based on my experience, I agree with Big Dave.  Also, I'd encourage you to read the Ashby reports, which will provide you some good info relative to BH design.  At the end of the season let us know how you come out.  I think you'll be pleased with the performance you can obtain from a low poundage bow!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
I also had to drop my poundage,to 42#.A heavy arrow with a sharp 2 blade in the 15-20 yrd range and you'll have plenty of penetration.I've noticed better control of the bow,but I had to have a cleaner release due to the string not pulling out of my fingers like the heavier bows.Also most of my aches & pains have gotten better since dropping in poundage. Leland

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
I also have dropped way down in weightdue to shoulder problems. Last year I shot thru one deer and a coyote full length with 42# Widow and a sharp Snuffer. The deer was 17 yards and the yote was 30 yards. The key is a sharp head and perfect arrow flight, a wobbly shaft wllnot penetrate very well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
Shawn said the magic words..."perfect arrow flight."   A wobbly arrow from a 70 pound bow will not penetrate as well as a perfectly flying arrow from a 45 pounder.

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
I shoot pretty much in that range...my coach and mentor Tom my dh has always had me hunt with Zwickey's with bleeder blades and if you have good placement they blow right through.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
A few weeks back my Granpa gave me his first hunting bow, an Eddings he bought in '55. It is 48#@28" and I'd bet he didn't draw 26" of it. He had taken over a dozen deer with it when he retired it. Properly used, lower poundage will work.

Steve

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
Arrow placement.
 Have a look at the Stalker review I did and the Moose Shanon shot with this low poundsge bow.
 www.peteward.com  {it is in the trad reviews.}
 Note the bent head taken from the far Shoulder.
 A bigger bow would have just bent it more.
Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
Schnitz, I have taken a few animals with a 42- 45 pound bows with only a 24" draw. Place that arrow right and have a sharp broadhead! Had several pass-through's.............  :thumbsup:    Chort

Offline Bob Lord

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
I decided to go to a lower poundage bow several years ago when I called Tim Meigs about a 40-45 lb longbow to practice with. He asked me why I would just practice and not hunt with it. I told him that I wasn't sure if it would kill a deer cleanly. Tim told me about shooting a mule deer with his 46 lb bamboo longbow at 45 yards and getting total pass-through. That convinced me. My first fall with my light longbow I shot a 200+ pound whitetail and the arrow landed in the bushes about 5 feet beyond him. The shot was about 10 yards. Using light poundage, you definitely need heavy arrows and single blade broadheads. My brother tried Thunderheads with his Kodiak and it cost him a nice 8 pointer. Last year, I tried cedar arrows for the first time in 10 years. Never again. Before the season was over, I shot over 7 nice bucks. I also was hunting a big clearcut and had to use a tree stand at 18'. I found out that I really suck at shooting from a tall tree stand. I'm using my ash again, and staying on the ground. Good luck with your 45 - you will really enjoy shooting it.
lawdy

Offline rustyspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
I am expecting a lower poundage (45# Fox Breed) bow any day now. This is down 5 to 8 pound from the bows I have now. I plan to use it for 3d and target. Where as after 60 or so shots with the heavier bows. I start to get sloppy.

Rich K.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Hummm maybe I should re-think things.My 45lb bow is the heavy one.  :bigsmyl:  

I have been shooting bows in that weight for about 4 years now on deer and hogs.Decided it was over kill so dropped to 40lbs for this year.  :biglaugh:   I forsee no problems at all.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline schnitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
thanks for all your input guys iv been shooting it alot and feel realy good out to 20 yards i think it even help with my form cant wait till hunting season what grain arrows you all think about 10 grains per pound

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
Good choice, you will not be be dissappointed.

I hunt with 42# PLX Widow and 530 grain wood arrows, super sharp STOS broadhead.

Have a 41# Artic Fox coming in about a month.

Texas law is 40#, ordered 41# just in case I short draw accidently.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
I have been hunting with bows in the 45 to 48 lb range for 52 years with no problems just keep those heads sharp
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
this year i shot through a 600# wild boar at 17yds with a 49# long bow. with a 430grain arrow and a simmons razor shark

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
I've dropped down from mid 50's to lower 40's this year.  I'm taking my first trip to your state of IL this year and will be hunting with either a 41# or 45# longbow.  I shot my first broadheads since last season yesterday.  125gr stingers and they flew like darts.

Offline Four2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
My son shot a good Texas whitetail buck last year with his new compound set at 42#.  His draw is only 26" and he got complete pass through at 17 yards with the arrow landing 8 yards beyond the deer.  Big blood trail of about 80 paces.  Deer fell in sight of us.  100gr Muzzy BH.
You should be fine.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
I too will be shooting 45# this year again. I used it last year also. I'll be using an arrow about 517gr. Not sure about which blade I'm going with. WW or Magnus II.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©