3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck NY Bowhunters  (Read 13572 times)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck NY Bowhunters
« Reply #340 on: November 08, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
There are plenty of deer in Westchester County... Plenty of bow hunters too... Kinda turned me off this morning, anyway...

Yesterday was a good day. After Tony and Charlie left we went into the woods around 1pm. This ground pounder found a nice natural blind along a high rock wall. Had it all figured.  :rolleyes:  Wind is this way, I came in that way, deer should be over here for the shot... Nice... Right! You guessed it. A young three or four point walks in from behind me on the other side of the wall... At seven yards I try to move and he doubles back from where he came. No shot. My Bad.  :(

Got to the area this morning but there were many vehicles parked already. So I drove back home. Public Land is just that.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #341 on: November 08, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Great encounter Mike, Glad you guys had some sightings. It is a great property but much to nice out. There were stands or evidence of stands every 50 yards it seems. For a property just opened this year, that gives people an idea of how many people are there.

Most of them only hunt for a couple hours but it does eat at you a little.

I bet 2 weeks from now you will see fewer people.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #342 on: November 08, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
Charlie,

Sorry to hear of your luck. I’ve seen deer consistently around me, but it’s been a much harder hunt than last year. They have moved to the residential area nearby and it doesn’t feel right to hunt where I can see my neighbor come out of their house to walk her dog in the morning. I didn’t have to look hard last year. This year I’m hunting hard to find them. You are all welcome to come down my way. Drop me a line. Its private property, but I can cover for a few. Saw a brut of a 8pt on Sunday within range from the ground. He busted me as I was drawing on him. First huge buck I have ever seen in the state since moving here.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #343 on: November 08, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Dont feel sorry for me Casey,

I have spent the last 3 days in the woods, saw some old friends and made new ones.  I Brother, am one of the lucky ones.

I was just trying to be funny posting about Westchester. You have to admit spending 3 days there and not seeing deer while hunting is pretty funny. I did see many deer however in back yards and driveways.

Hope you get a chance to post pictures of your little hunter with his new Bow.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #344 on: November 08, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Will do buddy. I will be meeting Glen tomorrow to pick it up. Ill have pics to post with both his new Bears.   :readit:
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #345 on: November 08, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
No Joe,i'm sure it wasn't the same deer.Hope that other one is still around though.
Dropped the head and cape at my taxidermist yesterday and he scored him at 144 1/8".He's gonna look at the teeth and try and give me an age,too.
tdog and I both figure he was 180-200lbs. dressed.I wish I had a scale.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #346 on: November 08, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Wow Jeff, Now I REALLY want to get home to see it.  

Hopefully you can get Tyler on that other one...... that is, if he has time between work and girls  ;)    :p
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #347 on: November 08, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Yeah Charlie,if he isn't working he's chasing skirts.That's my boy!   :thumbsup:
We'll have to get out for some stumping/bunny hunting again this Winter.Until then,have a good season and I hope something good walks your way.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #348 on: November 08, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
There were 6 vehicles parked in the area where I leave the truck on my trips to Sterling Forest...crowded is an understatement. 2 of those guys were shotgunning for squirrels..what a day. I did close the gap to about 50 yds on a couple of does...needed another 20 but they moseyed off before I could get there. Caught up to them about a half hour later but this time they busted me...will try again tomorrow or friday....interestingly these were mature does...I really expected them to be on the run from a buck but no such luck...good luck fellas

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #349 on: November 08, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
What do you make of this doe? Isn't there a term for deer like this? She sure is a good size!

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #350 on: November 08, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
She is a pibald........not sure if that is the right spelling. I got a buck up north that had his front legs marked like that! It's genetic.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #351 on: November 08, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Piebald. Really cool. Ive seen one in Harriman,NY and one in Indian Lake, NY. Bad luck to kill them, eh Ron?

Ive been seeing deer just no shot taken yet. Passed a few that I am questioning now but we've got some time yet. Havent seen Mack Daddy again.It seems to me that the deer herd is up from last year in my areas though.

Some of you fellas are really getting the job done on some nice deer. Congrats fellas.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #352 on: November 08, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Izzy,    :laughing:  

I saw one in Harriman also from the thruway about 4 years ago.  It is the second one I have seen.

Very cool.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #353 on: November 08, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Is it bad luck???
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #354 on: November 08, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Thats the one Charlie, at least its his kin. That big field by the toll booth was  my favorite place in the world when I was a kid. I remember seeing a hundred or more deer there back in the day as we drove past it on the way to the Bronx and on the way back home. Seems Ive seen more yotes there than deer the last 10 years or so.

Brian, I have heard and read of Native American legend that said it was bad luck to kill them as well as albinos and melanistic deer. But Denny Sturgis killed one and his luck hasnt run out.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #355 on: November 08, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Izzy, you have to have some luck to have some bad luck........   :readit:   And Denny Sturgis isn't hunting in New York!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #356 on: November 08, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
She's skewbald (white & any color other than black).  Piebald is black and white.

I got lectured on this once and remember.    :biglaugh:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #357 on: November 08, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Well I moved to the other side of the notch and found a good run with a few rubs.  Had 2 does at 10 yds. for a while and passed to see what might follow.  Turned out to be nothing! Sure was a nice feeling not to get busted.  They were all around me nibbling on branches.  Hard to drop the string on something like that.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #358 on: November 08, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Had a great evening. Saw a nice 8pt Buck not in range. A couple of does out of range. Than a 4pt walked right up 10 yards from me. I was on the ground & he was facing me head on. I passed the shot & just enjoyed the night. Evening ended with one of the biggest skunks I have ever seen walking up to me. I left the other way and we were both happy.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #359 on: November 08, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
missed a 4 pt at about 15yds from a ladderstand tonight.
   was just to damn excited to finally have a shot with my bear and i just plain missed . my POC's and zwickey sailed right over his back.
 he was walking away, i hit the bleat can and he stopped, pee'd alittle, flicked his tail and came right to me.  awesome!
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©