3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck NY Bowhunters  (Read 13542 times)

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck NY Bowhunters
« Reply #440 on: November 12, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Congrats Izzy , nice job  :clapper:  

Jim : Its ok you don't have to make up small freezer stories here hehe , congrats on a job well done
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #441 on: November 12, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
OOHH Charlie , where are you its well past dark   :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #442 on: November 12, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Crazy Charlie saw some critters. Waiting on his detailed report. I wound  up working a double and swung by my house to let Jack out and saw 2 across from my house. Veeeeeery rare in daylight. Saw more deer than crooks today.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #443 on: November 12, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Congrats Jim nicely done.  Safari tuf quiver?
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #444 on: November 12, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Sorry Guys, I was hungry and had some Moose meat begging to be cooked. Thank You Tony for the Moose meat.

Long story Short, I didnt see anything this morning. I decided to try and sneak around and hopefully get lucky enough to see a deer before it saw me, and then MAYBE get a shot.

I got out of my stand and stashed it so I wouldnt have to carry it everywhere. This is about 11.

I went for a small walk and came upon a area that looked "nice".  Upon Further inspection it had several heavy, heavy trails and a spot where they had been going up and down a bank that is cut deep from traffic. Upon further inspection, you could tell this wasn't from just the same 2 or 3 deer going back and forth. It looked like every deer in the state had walked through this spot.

I saw 3 more heavy trails leading to this area and that was all I needed, I huffed back, retrieved my stand and was shimmying up a tree in no time. Now I am attaching a bungy cord to a tree to attach my quiver, look up and see a buck cruising the hillside. He stopped on a dime when he hit my scent where I came down the hill and trotted back the way he came.

I finished setting up and put an arrow on, then gave out a few grunts.  No Luck.

I was just getting comfy and look up, there is a deer 45 yards out. It just magically appeared like they do.  it browsed a bit then bedded. Looked at my watch, its only 12:30 PM.

After 2 hours the young deer got up and was feeding in my Direction Sloooooooooooooooowly.

It made it to about 25 yards but was in heavy brush, I thought for sure I would get a shot but 2 does came through about 10 minutes apart and the young deer changed its course to catch up with them.  I sat till dark because the deer were still 60 yards or so.

I will be back in the morning, then probably not for a couple weeks. I will make any necessary moves then. Oh, there was a lot of poop there too. I like to see that, because it tells me the deer spends a lot of time there.

wish me luck.

Great Deer Jim!  Congrats   :clapper:  (for the record, I like young deer too     ;)    ;)   )
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #445 on: November 12, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
Congrats Jim, looks like a thick deer and will be tasty.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #446 on: November 12, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by JoeM:
Congrats Jim nicely done.  Safari tuf quiver?
Yep Joe   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #447 on: November 13, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
Charlie is hunting the area Im working this morning and I just saw a flock of turkey headed his way.   :pray:    :pray:    :pray:    :pray:

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #448 on: November 13, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
Great job Jim. I'm sure your HH is loving making all the meat this year.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #449 on: November 13, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Going to the bow only zone near Albany on Monday, maybe my luck will change   :dunno:  !! Even if it doesn't work out I'll get to hunt and have lunch with a good guy. Maybe we can lift the curse!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #450 on: November 13, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
You are a great man and a great archer James...nicely done!  Hope to join you on a hunt someday!
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #451 on: November 13, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
C'mon guys. lets post these on the harvest thread. We nedd to represent New York here on tradgang!!!  :readit:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #452 on: November 13, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Congrats Jim, thats 2 so far with the Hill,nice shooting.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #453 on: November 13, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Well, This weekend really turned around for me!!!!!   :scared:   It really boosted my confidence knowing that if he was a deer, he'd be dead right now!!!

This morning I was settled in my stand by 7am... About 10 minutes later, I hear leaves crunching, sticks breaking, and a buck grunting, up the hill from my stand... Nothing!!! Oh well..... About a half hour later, I hear the crunch,crunch..... crunch,crunch..... (like a horse) of a deer coming in behind me. I look to my right and here comes the same 3pt from friday morning!!! He keeps coming, and passes right in front of and under my stand!!!!! (he still seems TOTALY oblivious to the buck lure I again put out today)    :confused:   He stops for a second,about 6 yards from my stand,quartering away but practicaly straight down.....

It was "awkward" but one of those "Dead-Nuts" "No Brainer" shots that we all love and.....

I MISSED!!!!!    :eek:   Yup, you guessed it, right over his back!!!!! Well, for all you "newbies" even us old farts forget to pick a spot sometimes.....   :readit:   He "spooked" but he only run about 50 yards, then stopped and looked around. He never knew I was there, or what it was that spooked him. He also doesn't know how close he came to DIEING!!!!!

About an hour later, I hear deer running in behind me. I look to my right just in time to see a spike and a 4pt cross the trail and run up the hill trough the woods!!!

So, I saw 3 bucks today,(I have not seen a doe yet) blew a shot, and had one of the GREATEST days in a long time!!!!!   :bigsmyl:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #454 on: November 13, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Well Chuck,

I saw 16 Does today and no Bucks.

I sat in the same spot as last night.  Almost had a yearling step into a shooting lane at about 20 yards. It turned and went back to the saftey of the herd.

For hunting public property, I am starting to like it there. This little honey hole is bound to produce. Next time I will make a stand placement adjustment!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #455 on: November 13, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Hunting Pine Bush, Charlie???
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #456 on: November 13, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Charlie , how many ticks you get today!!!?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #457 on: November 13, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Yes Chuck.

Ron, I found one crawling up my pant leg.  between the cold and the permithrin, I have only had 3 or 4 in the past 3 weeks. all have been found crawling up my pant leg when I found them.  I can handle that.

I saw about 5 snakes on the walk out.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #458 on: November 13, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
I passed on a small doe I snuck up to ten feet of in the corn at Dads , man what a rush .
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #459 on: November 13, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Well for me since I moved my stand it's 2 that I passed the first day there to 2 more days of nuttin'.  I have to learn to shoot the doe and hang out and hope the buck follows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©