3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck NY Bowhunters  (Read 13541 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck NY Bowhunters
« Reply #460 on: November 13, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Sounds like an exciting encounter Drew!

BTW, you dont have to save all the deer for Manny and Adam   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: November 13, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
It was cool Charlie , love sneaking up on them on the ground .
Gotta leave some for the other fellers.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: November 13, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I got set up on the intersection of about 3 trails a couple days ago. Tried hunting them but was real windy on Friday and then yesterday the guy on the adjacent property had a shooting day. Touched off about 300 rounds. I waited for about 3 hours for it to end but never did. So today I go in at about one. I just know that these does I've seen while scouting are coming over this little knoll about 30 yards in front of my stand. It was a little windy today but I had a good feeling about this afternoon. Sure enough at about 4:00 a doe comes over the knoll just as I was visualizing. It doesn't see me in my stand. Coming right towards me. It needs to come about 5 more steps into where I figured I would shoot but stops and turns its head away from me.I have a broadside shot at about 8 yards. There are some small branches that I have to shoot through, but I figure I'm gonna take the shot. I was so concerned with the branches that I didn't pick a shot and shot over its back. The deer jumps but doesn't know what happened. It turns and looks up at me forever. Finally takes a couple steps and its head goes behind a tree. I quickly grab anotheR arrow from my quiver and nock it.back to the staredown with the doe when I see another doe coming over the knoll out of the corner of my eye. The 2nd sees the first looking up and the staredown continues. That went on for what seemed like hours. Well they both put some distance between me and them when sure enough a 3rd comes over the knoll and walks away with the first 2.Shoulda stuck with the original plan. Shoulda been patient. The good news is I had my stand in the perfect spot, maybe a little TOO close, but they were comin.They came right from where I figured they were going to come from. I just may be starting to catch on to this stuff. Great day!!!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: November 13, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Good work Jamie, Izzy and Jim.   :thumbsup:  

Had an eight-point rub my nose in it tonight.  Wind was from the South and blowing into the dense brushlot I sit beside.  I could hear him slowly walking in there for 20 minutes but never saw him.  He paused on the opposite side of my neighbor's tractor path for five minutes before crossing.  I think he winded me in there and worked East of me and then slowly passed 60 yards behind my tree - just walking slowly.  When he showed no signs of stopping or turning I gave a little "bleat" call and he never even twitched an ear or changed from his walk.  Short rack but I could see antler 4" to either side of his ears - good enough.

We'll be looking for him next Saturday in different gear.

Yesterday I just missed a trotting coyote.  As I lead him and my bow limb hit the tree.  That noise put him into turbo boost and I leaned back for clearance and tried a grouse style shot - releasing as I passed through with a catch-up swing from behind.  The arrow was good but the witchhazel it got to before the coyote shatterred the arrow into two pieces.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: November 14, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Well I am new to writing on this site, but have been reading the treads for a very long time since my son got me to become a member. It is unfortunate that we live so many miles apart and do not to get to see each other often, but through this site and the email and phone we do our best to stay in touch. Charlie lives and hunts in NY, and I in WI. But we still can hunt together, I am not a wizard when it comes to technology, but with the ability to stuggle though texting we are able to share the hunt when we are in the woods. We can share weather and stand locations and deer sightings and other animals. This past weekend waas a good one for both of us, weather was cool and I had snow to start Saturday off and saw a doe right off, but out of range. We both moved to new spots and Charlie saw dee right away, my new spot was in a valley were many trails led to one leading to a corn field. had a very nice 8 coming my way and would have been perfect if not at the last moment for no reason to me he turned right and away. Sunday was warmer and over cast for both of us. Charlie in his new honey hole on Public land and saw deer right away, just nothing close for a shot, for me i saw a coyote, that saw me first and then a very nice 10 point and a shot that was less than perfect, but after a long wait and a search, I found a arrow with a missing tip and confimation of a hit in the leg bone. Then as a I was sitting and looking in the direction of the bucks travel and not paying attention to the rest of the world, a very respectable 8 walked just to my right and offered a close range shot. But to his good fortune, the bow was not in my hand and he just walked away. But a great day in the woods for both of us. So even with many miles between us we can still share that day as it happened.
Good times and memories to all that hunt.
Chuck
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: November 14, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Welcome, Mr. Janssen!  My wife and I had the great pleasure of hosting your fine son the other weekend.  We had a great time, but, as luck would have it, no deer!

Good luck up there in Wisconsin!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: November 14, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Went for a 6 hour sit in the bow only zone near Albany today before the rain. Just before lunch "I SAW A DEER". After 62 hours in the woods this year a deer jumped the fence 60 yards away from me and then walked the other way. That brings this years total to 1.........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: November 14, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Hello Heyslope, I have seen your name before in other treads. Charlie is a great son and I miss spending time with him. But it is good to know he has made many new and great freinds in NY and other areas through this site.
He has gotten me back to the basics of hunting like what I started with and hope next year I will feel confident enough to carry one of the bows to the woods. He just sent me a 1953 Grizzley Bear for my birthday like the one I grew up with. His little brother broke that one many years ago trying to string it wrong.
I hope to be out that way again this spring for a visit, maybe our paths will cross at that time. Saturday is the gun opener and with high hope his other brothers and I will be at the family farm sharing more memories together and hoping Charlie will be able to join us agin if not in person, then through technology.
Take care

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: November 14, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
We'll keep an eye on him for you and report back if he gets out of line.    :biglaugh:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: November 14, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Charlie was a good partner on the trip to Colorado!!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: November 14, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Mr. Janssen : It is a great pleasure to meet you , even from a distance . Charlie is a great guy and friend to all of us that know him you should be very proud.   :thumbsup:  
 Best of luck to you and your family with the deer hunting .
 Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: November 14, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Charlies' a good fella, crazy but good. Ive enjoyed hunting and talking to him. His tree stand texts are a welcome distraction when Im working and not in a tree myself.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: November 14, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chuck Janssen:
 He just sent me a 1953 Grizzley Bear for my birthday
Correction it's a 1969 Grizzly  :readit:   :p

Dad, Don't listen to what everyone says. Its probably not true.  Hunters are a lot like fisherman.     :wavey:  

For the record, the respectable bucks he's talking about in WI are bucks of a lifetime here in NY.   ;)   Don't let my Dad off easy he is a little modest at times.    :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: November 14, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Here is an idea of what happens at camp when you are in the woods hunting in WI.  Oh, the days when you should stay at the cabin instead.    :rolleyes:    

1st Noon time picture same day target was set up. he's a 2 1/2 Maybe 31/2 Year old tops. Its hard to tell from this picture alone.

Here is an example of what not to say to a buck.  they attached the antlers to the target. Unfortunately the trail cam didn't catch it due to the limited range unbeknownst to the camera man.    "[dntthnk]"    

Here is the crime scene in relation to the cabin.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: November 14, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I agree with what everybody says about Charlie. Wisconsin's loss is New York gain. Great sons come from great dads. You should be very proud! Good luck with the hunt!~
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: November 14, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
Charlie is top notch and so is his father who i had the chance to turkey hunt with, the man knows how to talk turkey!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: November 14, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Saw 10 foes this evening but no bucks. None of the does came into range either. Fun day out. Will be at it again tomorrow & Friday evening before gun opens Saturday.
good luck to everyone still after it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: November 14, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Dan,

10 Foes? I would have been flinging arrows like mad   :smileystooges:

good luck the rest of this week.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: November 15, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words about Charlie, we grew up together and I tried to get him and his brothers out hunting and fishing and camping as much as time would allow. Many great memories and pictures shared. Look forward to many more in the future. Being there with his first deer and turkey and then with his first one for the wall. A hunt in the mountains of Alaska stands out As the 2 of us spent some quality time there watching wildlife.
With our gun season just a few days away and so many decent bucks out there. I look forward to more time in the woods and with family. Thank you all for keeping a eye on Charlie for me. Hope to meet you all some day. Ken that morning on the mountain with you will stand out as one of my most memorable turky hunts, even if we had nothing to carry out that morning. Thank you,
Good fortune to all of you.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: November 15, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Another day out....uneventful!!    :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©