3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck NY Bowhunters  (Read 13528 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck NY Bowhunters
« Reply #500 on: November 16, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I Know that also....I have been all over the place, I'm hunting in 4 different counties, if that's not switching it up,   :dunno:   I can only hunt where I have access.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #501 on: November 16, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I've been skunked the last 2 times out.  Wishing I hadn't passed the 10 yd doe shot earlier.  I am going to try to make it out Friday and hope to change my luck.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #502 on: November 16, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
I've been hunting in 2 different counties and have 3 different stands set up on the primary piece of land I hunt. Changing stands & counties haven't helped much with seeing deer.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #503 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
I have not many outings where I saw deer. I had nearly 100 hours with only one deer sighted at 50 yards. Then last weekend, I saw 20 deer in 2 sits,  one evening and one morning.

I have also seen about the same # of turkeys. all my game sightings have been on Public land.  Up until last weekend, my strategy has so far been change it up until something works. I keep changing locations and times in the different locations. Obviously I choose the locations with best judgement. i have not given up on bowhunting yet. will probably spend a lot of time with bow in hand thanksgiving weekend.

I keep forgetting the turkey calls, almost had some less than 30 yards.

The deer I have seen were eating leaves off some sort of shrub. They were yellow leaves but not sure what the plant was.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #504 on: November 16, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
got busted by a doe tonight,  just looked over my left shoulder, nothing there, looked right, nothing there.  
 readjusted my recurve on my knee and a doe is standing 10 yds over my left shoulder , where i had just looked literally 15 seconds ago.  she saw me and ran off.  
 amazing how quickly and quietly they can appear.
 came  home and made a treestand blind out of a tree umbrella and some 4 x 12 leafy netting. just cut it into two 6ft pieces and attached to the umbrella lengthwise.  looks pretty good
 plenty of room to stand and shoot a recurve or longbow .
 as soon as i get it set up in a tree i can get some pics.  hopefully friday before the orange army invades
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #505 on: November 16, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Funny about the turkeys. I have been thinking the same thing. I usually see lots of birds but not 1 all season. Will be out Friday evening.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #506 on: November 16, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
we've been seeing deer in the thickest nastiest cover and swamps. No real trails this year, because they are browsing as they move so it's been tougher to pin point them. with the warmer weather and full moon the deer have not been moving much during the day, seems they are on their feet a little at first light and again around 10 am this week.

Saturday i had a great encounter with another huge 6 pointer. It was a in acres of rose bushes, a place that makes Briar Back Mountain look like a good spot to vacation! I was crawled my way into the area with my lone wolf hang on and sticks and set up in a huge hickory that split into 4 trunks about 12' up. From my Vantage point I could see through the briars down hill and saw the 6 pt about 200yds down hill and directly down wind of me. It took him about 30 minutes to make his way directly toward me. He was testing the wind every few steps. He closed to 25yds and spent close to 10 minutes directly down wind, testing the air. He finally turned away and I thought he was going to leave, but instead he bedded with his back to me, still too thick for a shot. he stayed bedded for close to 2 hours and I was running out of time. I splashed some doe in heat on the ground around my tree and hit the can call. he finally stood and worked his way past me at 21 yards and never offered a shot! Close but no cigar. About that time the area came alive with deer, I don't know how many there were but i know they were in almost every direction, all headed north towards a field. Darkness set in without a shot and I just sat there until the deer had moved off. I did a little recon this week and found a better tree right in the middle of the action, this one with more shooting lanes and easier access. I know where i'll be this weekend. The cool part is that this is essentially public land, the same place I took the 6 pt earlier this year. It's town owned and all you have to do is take a proficiency test, hunt from a stand and call in and out when you hunt. It gets very little pressure, especially in the areas that are hard to get into or offer no trees for a climber. We can't leave stands in, but it;s no big deal to pop up and take down my Lone wolf.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #507 on: November 17, 2011, 05:59:00 AM »
I'm hoping to make it out Fri. after noon the last day before Kaboom season.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #508 on: November 17, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Today would be an wesome day to be in the woods. Tomorrow looks even better. I will be watching the woods out my work window  :(  

Greg, Even though your spots sounds great,  I would not want to vacation at Briarback.  Just sayin  :dunno:  

I guess the general theme is that deer are not in tune with their natural patterns and people have to adjust to find them.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #509 on: November 17, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
Did something a bit different to today, got back from the gym and thought " I'm not going to see anything drinking coffee and watching the Today show". So I got my stuff on grabbed my bow and went hunting....no sitting today, today I'm going back to what I did most of my hunting career.....sneak and peek/still hunting. I thought with low deer numbers maybe I have to get aggressive and go after them. Don't ya know only 20 minutes into the hunt I see a deer. Just a flag mind you ,but a deer. I may have been going a bit to fast or it winded me....maybe both. I guess I know what I have to do now!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #510 on: November 17, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Yup Ron stop putting bengay on those old knees and plant something tastier then rocks   :rolleyes:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #511 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
So there is a deer in NY   :readit:    :bigsmyl:

Hope you get him Ron!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #512 on: November 17, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
headed out in the morning for one last try in Sterling...I realize we have a late season but I've never seen a deer there in the late season. It was an odd year...very little action in places where I've usually been lucky..I have a cousin in Westchester and he's had some luck but that place is always crawling with deer..I may have to invite myself if tomorrow doesn't work...lol

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #513 on: November 17, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Ron, if you get one in the eleventh hour you'll be my hero   :notworthy:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #514 on: November 17, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
LOL...I have never been a hero.......can't say it will start now!   :biglaugh:  Saturday things will change with the guns going off all over. Hey you never know!

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #515 on: November 17, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
I'm hopeful for you Ron. Heck, I am still hoping I put one down Friday evening myself. Hardest part will be getting out of a nice warm bed after 3 hours sleep to get out those last couple of hrs before the big bang gang Saturday. Of course I will be one of them.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #516 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Last day of bow, I went out this a.m. Missed a doe on the ground, shot over her. I will be taking my 7 year old son tonight for the last Hurah !!!!!!
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #517 on: November 18, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Good luck Gerald, shoot straight.

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #518 on: November 18, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Well, I'll be the first to report tonight.  Started in my stand at 1:30. Not long after the trucks started pouring in to the hunting camp beyond our property and the 4-wheelers started ripping around, eliminating 2 of my approaches.

About 4:30 I'm quite cold and frustrated so I decide to get down and still-hunt home.  Finding a pretty good stump to hide behind I settle in for the last 15 minutes of hunting light.  Within 5 min I here a deer coming, quite fast.  Turns out to be a doe and coming right at my stump.  She presents a shot at 10 yds, but I have to thread the needle between some brush.  I pass because she is going to be in the clear at 7 yds.

Well, she changes direction and begins angling away.  I don't get a shot til she's 20+.  I take careful and deliberate aim and release-A perfect arrow, but the distance is too far and she jumps string and wheels around.  I'm happy with the shot, but not happy about attempting it-too far for my arrow speed.

Well, not more than 2 minutes later I hear the buck following her.  He angles in the direction she went and is 35-40 yds away.  He messes around over there for a while then decides to walk right back at me!  He gets to 20 yds and decides somethings amiss and starts doing little circles, stopping broadside several times. Now I get a good look and he is a decent 6 point.  Based on prior experience and diminishing light I decide not to shoot and he eventually moves off.

No deer, but what a rush having them that close while kneeling on the ground!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #519 on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Having an almost is pretty cool.........   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©