3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck NY Bowhunters  (Read 13497 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck NY Bowhunters
« Reply #560 on: November 30, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Well, just got back. It was a great sit, I saw nine doe's and fawns as well as 6 tom turkeys and 2 bobcats. Wish I could of gotten to the stand I wanted to but the turkeys prevented that and a few minutes after setting up in a stand 50 yards away, the parade of doe's started. Of course they all came out with 10 yards of the stand I wanted to sit. Gonna be back at it again in the morning. I have to be to doctors but not until 11 so I can sit a few hrs. for sure! I will shoot any deer that walks by for sure. Izzy I hunted a doe like that for years. I finally killed her and had her aged, she was 11.5 years old. Very healthy and was the biggest bodied deer I have ever shot as she dressed 187#s. My best buck dressed 183#s. She was in a bow only area and would walk right down the middle of a big field blowing all the way, yet she new she was safe as she stayed 50-60 yards from either edge. I will tell ya how I killed her sometime! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #561 on: November 30, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Id love to hear the tactic you used on that old gal brother.  My wife can only tolerated so many heads in the house before they get auctioned. Might as well put a green light out on the old gal. I would guess her to be  170 live but I dont believe shes  the biggest Ive ever seen. Glad your getting out. Like I said if you wind up shooting one in the afternoon give me a call. Ill drag it for you and put Jack on the blood. Was strapped for time as usual the day I killed my spike so I never got to put him on the trail.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #562 on: November 30, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
cant wait for the bloody arrow pic.

Those old Gals can be much harder than the bucks to hunt.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #563 on: December 03, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Sat all day today and saw 4 deer. I was planning on sneaking out mid day but then I saw a deer at 11:00 so I decided to tough it out and eat when I got home.

I had a doe come within 15 yards but I couldn't get a broadside or quartering shot. She came straight at me, then at 15 yards turned to head back to her mother.  when she turned she was broadside but behind a big pine.  Its the closest I have come to a shot all season.

what a rush.

Tradganger Steve Helstowski shot one today at the same public land I was at, perhaps he'll be around after cleaning up to tell about it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #564 on: December 03, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Well hopefully I get us NY guys back on the board tomorrow morning. Meat and I are going out and he is hunting with his stick, he goes both ways!! Charlie glad ya got some excitement!! I hunted hard Thursday and yesterday. Saw deer just nothin close for a shot, actually saw 9 thursday afternoon. Should be cold in the morning and that should help movement. I also believe we are gettin into that second rut, had a 4pt. harrassing a doe yesterday evening so the next week may see some rutting activity again or at least the bucks out sniffin for the young ladies or an old lady that did not get bred the first go around. Good Luck Guys!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #565 on: December 03, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Thanks Shawn.

Hope you and meat make meat.  I also hope you are feeling better after your surgery.

I agree there should be a lot of movement in the morning.

Good luck.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #566 on: December 04, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
K,got a long story about my morning, which was one of the best in a couple weeks! Be back in a lil' while. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #567 on: December 04, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
That text about broke my heart shawn. What are you gonna do?

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #568 on: December 04, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
Glad your getting out Shawn now on with the story   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #569 on: December 04, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Ok, I was up at 4:50 and to my hunting spot by 5:40. I set this stand up weeks before the start of the season and it was our last stand to do this year and number 56. We called it the powerline pine stand. It is a long walk in and it takes a good 20 minutesof walking to get to it. I was there by 6:05am. I sat for a few minutes to cool down before I got dressed(I carry 90% of my clothes in cause of my acromegaly I sweat terrible otherwise)I than took my time and got dressed and up I went. This stand is high, probably 27ft. or so but it is because of its location on a side hill so the shots mostly are 15-18ft. below except off the backside which than is about 35ft. or so. It was a perfect morning and the wind was steady out of the south. I had the bow pulled up and was settled in by 6:20, which by then it is getting light. Be back soon, gotta turn the chicken on the grill! Shawn
Shawn

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #570 on: December 04, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
must have stopped to eat that chicken too  :rolleyes:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #571 on: December 04, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
:coffee:     :D

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #572 on: December 04, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Dang chickens!!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #573 on: December 04, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
And then?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #574 on: December 04, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:     :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #575 on: December 04, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Is the chicken done?

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #576 on: December 04, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
That chicken must be hell to catch.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #577 on: December 04, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Sorry guys, grill had some issues and than I did have to eat. Ok it was now getting light out. The first thing I here is a cock pheasant sounding off in a field below me, so I turn and scan the field with my bino's. While doing this I look up and out across the bottom and look up on the power lines about 250 yards away I see 3 deer. One big doe and 2 fawns. I watch them on and off for about 1/2 hr. and it is now 7:30. I look again and see another deer has joined them, turns out to be a nice 8pt. He is just feeding with the doe's. They slowly feed off. About 15 minutes later I look to the lower field again and there is a small 4pt. walking the edge about 80 yards away. I grunt at him and he looks up but just keeps walking with his nose to the ground. He gets down wind so I let him walk without calling to him again and he disappear's into what we call the brushy hillside, a 15 acre patch of hell that we leave totally alone, kind of a sanctuaury. I wait about 15 minutes and figure to do some blind calling. I hit the can twice and follow this with a series of grunts, wait 3 or 4 minutes and repeat. The whole time watching the power lines to the front and left and a little funnel that is created by the power lines and a creek that runs along the field below and behind me. Stupid me, all the deer have been behind me, so I turn just in time to see another buck in that bottom field, he is standing and has his head up looking up my way. I figure he is looking for the source of the grunts or doe he heard a few minutes before. He slowly walks the way the other buck went. He is a 4pt. too but quite a bit bigger body and horn wise. This time I figure with it warming up and the thermals rising i mind as well give him a couple grunts, even though down wind. I do and he stops and looks and angles slightly towards me yet still going away. I figure he is gonna go to a creek crossing about 100 yards away and circle me a bit and come thru that funnel to my right that I had been watching. He heads towards that creek crossing but now is out of sight. I wait a couple minutes and hit the can twice and do a quick series of grunts. Now I just wait and watch, even though the spot I am watching is directly downwind I let go a few milkweed pods and I watch them hover and stay high in the air well out, I can see them at 60 yards with my binos and know if he is close my scent should be up and over him. I finally catch movement and there he is, about 50 yards but coming. Ok I will be right back, gotta get my shots as Cindy is harrassing me. Shawn
Shawn

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #578 on: December 04, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
c'mon Cindy, just jab it in him!

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #579 on: December 04, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
come on man
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©