3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck NY Bowhunters  (Read 13496 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck NY Bowhunters
« Reply #580 on: December 04, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Ok I will wrap this up. He is there at 50 yards so I decide to stand and get the bow off the holder. He kind of hangs up, so I give a few soft bleats with my call. He turns and comes, he gets to about 25 yards and turns broadside, I put some pressure on the string but decide to wait. I figure he will come closer, he takes his time but works in to about 15 yards. When he gets this close he seems to get a bit nervous and turns and starts to angle away, I figure it is now or never, I draw pick a spot low almost below him as he is on that downside and maybe 30ft. below. I release and whack, I hit a limb about halfway to him, he bolts and I bleat and he stops, but too late he knows something is up and even though he hangs around for 10 minutes never offers me another shot. I sit and put another arrow on the string and figure I am done for the morning. I nock another arrow and sit back and not 10 seconds later I hear a grunt. I turn and look below along the creek and standing not 12 yards away but about 45 ft. below is a nice 2.5 year old 6pt. Back in the game I figure, well this buck stood there for over a half an hr. and he did not move a muscle. I think he must have caught my movement earlier because he is frozen. All of a sudden he just turns and walks down into the creek and acrossed it, I than decide to grunt and when I do, he kind of tucks tail and heads away. I really blew it. I decide to climb down and as I am leaving I look into the woods and see my arrow. I walk in to get it and low and behold I should of never shot at the 4pt. when I did. It turns out he was just heading down another run that would of lead him right out onto the power line and would have given me a 12 yard shot in the wide open and not so mch if a steep angle. Sorry I did not get us back on the board and sorry for the long post but figured you guys need some encouragement!  :bigsmyl:  I will say this I think the bucks are looking again and on my way out I noticed several scrapes that have been opened up again after not being worked in a few weeks. As for the post from Izzy, there was a close to 180" deer hit by a car about 1/2 mile from the house today. He actually laid dead within a couple hundred yards of several of my treestands!! I will be at it again tomorrow, hopefully with a story about a dead deer!! Goodnight! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #581 on: December 04, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Sounds like a good day. I truly miss the cackle of a rooster pheasant of which I haven't heard around here in 25 years. I saw a lot of deer today from the cruiser in some funky spots. That's usually an indicator that there's some real chasing going on. Good luck brother. I described that buck you texted me to my cousin and he swears he saw him in the railyards.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #582 on: December 04, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Keep at it & good luck.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #583 on: December 05, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Sounds like a great Morning!  :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #584 on: December 05, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Did not get out today, daughter had someone total her car on her way to college at 630 this morning!! She is fine, I will be out in the morning!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #585 on: December 09, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Has everyone else given up on the bow except Shawn and I ?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #586 on: December 09, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
YEP!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #587 on: December 09, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
I have to admit I have been doing the rifle thing, but when the 59'er comes in it will be back to the bow! I hope you guys are right about the new rut activity because it is dead here for now.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #588 on: December 09, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
I may go out again once the fools have gone back to the couch. I might as well see if I can finish the season with out seeing a deer........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #589 on: December 09, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Saw rut activity last weekend!

Good luck Ken, I bet your new 59er will be beautiful. any new update photos?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #590 on: December 09, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
flintlock Sunday and longbow next weekend.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #591 on: December 09, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
The gun hunters have pushed all the deer around here so hard they have moved into places I can't hunt.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #592 on: December 09, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
It would be nice to have a bit of snow for late bow....but if we get it, we will most likely get 2 feet. That moves the deer right out of the area...if there any left. A lot of night hunting going on from what I see and hear.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #593 on: December 09, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
Still in it, brother...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #594 on: December 09, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowspirit:

Still in it, brother... [/b]
I won't give up until the the sun sets on Dec 31st..........and then I head to CT for a month!

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #595 on: December 10, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
I will be out Saturday and sunday

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #596 on: December 10, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Good luck Ken, I bet your new 59er will be beautiful. any new update photos?
Charlie, no new pics, but John emailed me that it's in the mail!

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #597 on: December 10, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
No choice down here....gotta stick with the stick!  Deer sightings are down lately, although with mid-20 temps tomorrow, they should be moving.

I did see a bobcat this morning at Angle Fly.  It's been many years since I've seen one in the fall.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #598 on: December 10, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
That's funny Charlie    :laughing:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #599 on: December 10, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
There hadn't been any activity on the thread, so I figured I would bring it up with enough of a curious question, that I would get some response.    ;)    

I had a sow bear with 3 cubs in tow walk right up to me today right at noon.  I started waving my arm when she was 20 yards but she didn't turn. I thought she was gonna come steal my PBJ as she was coming straight to me as if on a string.   At 15 yards She did an upper body 180 pivot on her hind leg and her cubs followed her out.  I guess the tree with the grape vine tangle hid me pretty well. I was wearing orange because it was public property.  Same spot I saw a spike at 30 yards the weekend prior.  Pretty much the highlight of my season so far.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©