3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back to Metal  (Read 794 times)

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
Back to Metal
« on: November 20, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
Have had 2 metal riser[Buffolo and Titan] bows and sold both due to thinking they were not as pretty as my wooden riser bows. They were both great shooters.After buying and selling a bunch of bows[appox. 40] I have 3 recurves[Dye] and 2 longbows[Hummingbird] that to me are the best looking and preforming wooden bows I have shot.Now am going back to a metal riser bow for hunting, as my wooden bows are too valuable to me  to scratch up in the woods.Since I spend 10 months shooting 3-ds and stumping with my friends and only 2 months hunting that is the best choice for me.Even though the metal risers look like some leafspring from under a boattrailer.  
Anyone else hunting with metal risers for this reason?These bows are almost indestructable.
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back to Metal
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
...whats so wrong with a a bow that has "battle scars" Its a bow with so many story's! Let'm live. Bows that sit in the bow rack..loose value in such many other ways. think about that. Just do your best to keep them safe.
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
I head deer think metal risers are ugly too and won't come in to check them out (of course, they didn't check out my wood bows much this year either).
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
I am thinking about going to a metal riser for next year. I use to have a generation 1 Das and I wish I would have never sold it. Bob

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
I have a Black Swan Impala with a metal riser...I've had the whole bow dipped in Predator Deception Green though so it's real pretty now......you might consider that.

Offline Stoutstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
How are the metal risers in the cold? Would there be any diference than wood as cold is cold?
Stoutstuff

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
I hunted with a metal Strickland "Stick" last season. Did well with it and it is a shooter. However, I want to hunt with my woooden riser bows.

I'm hunting with a beautiful Habu this season. I just try to be careful (how can a rock be in the leaves in the dark EVERY time I put that bow down to open a gate!).

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by getstonedprimitivebowhunt:
...whats so wrong with a a bow that has "battle scars" Its a bow with so many story's! Let'm live. Bows that sit in the bow rack..loose value in such many other ways. think about that. Just do your best to keep them safe.
Thanks for your comment I feel better about my bow battle scars now   :bigsmyl:

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Had A Quinn (sold it).It was a great bow,very dead in the hand.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
I buy my bows to use non admire, the first ding is the hardest to take after that they come easy. Why save a bow for looks? so someone else will use it when your gone?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
With few exceptions I have been shooting metal risers for hunting since Groves came out with one in the 60's. Have had metal Widows and currently shoot a DAS with ILF limbs. Best bow for both worlds.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Guess what...my wood riser bows have proven over 25+ yrs. that they are indestructable   :thumbsup:

My bows are tools, finely crafted custum tools at that, but just tools...they get beat up!

I would never think of having a bow that I wouldn't use to hunt with, for the reason of keeping it from getting scratched    :archer2:  

I'm a hunter...not a collector...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
very interesting...............
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
I may look into having my riser dipped. Once thought of applying veneers to the metal as a joke to my Trad friends. Will put a piece of Tennis Raquet wrap on the grip if the cold bothers me.
Will continue to shoot my wood riser bows every day when not hunting, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
I have ordered one "fancied up" bow in my life and will never do it again. That bow was so cool looking I was always worried about messing it up when I took it afield. Not any more! If i can't take it to the woods without worrying about possible little scratch or ding then I won't buy it. Besides, that is why bowyers refinish bows.

Bisch

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Guess what...my wood riser bows have proven over 25+ yrs. that they are indestructable    :thumbsup:  

My bows are tools, finely crafted custum tools at that, but just tools...they get beat up!

I would never think of having a bow that I wouldn't use to hunt with, for the reason of keeping it from getting scratched     :archer2:  

I'm a hunter...not a collector...
I wasted my time typing in the post above! Curt said it all in his post and I agree wholeheartedly.

Bisch

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
I'd love to shoot wood bows all the time, but I am shooting my Greenhorn Belgium target bow right now. Got 56# limbs on it, its just WAY easier to be accurate with than any wooden bow. If I'm not on accuracy wise, I wont shoot. I have not put enough time in to be honest due to work, so I picked up my Greenhorn recurve. Spot on right from the first shot, I have camo limbskins on it cuz its bright blue. But I've taken some really nice deer with it.
I dont mind scratches on a hunting bow, if they get too bad, a refinish is easy.
David M. Conroy

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
I'm with  Curt , it a tool ! To put arrows down range ,so shoot what you shoot the best just remember it a tool .
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
I hunt with wood risers because that's what shoots BEST for me. Had a few metal risers, not as pretty, and I just didn't shoot them as well. It is nice to admire the uniqueness of the wood during the down time on stand. A good finish seems to go a long ways toward how well bows hold up under hunting use. Plus as mentioned, you can always dip or refinish them.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Ryan M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
I shot a PSE Coyote for a few years and liked it. It used an arrow rest and I could put a stabilizer on it if I felt like it; isn't the most traditional bow out there. The arrows flew straight (carbon bemans) and the bow was quiet. It made a good bow to use to hit flying asian carp on the river, not that I was all that good at that but it worked when I did my part. It wasn't expensive and it took a beating well; kind of wish I had it back.

I'm stickbowless now and looking for a new bow, but I really think I am going to get something like a Mohawk or some other wooden longbow. Still looking and getting some money together.  The metal bows are fine, but this time I want something more traditional and I like the look of wood bows much more than any metal bow out there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©