3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frustrated With Wind and No Hunting This Weekend  (Read 293 times)

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
Frustrated With Wind and No Hunting This Weekend
« on: November 20, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
So guys, I finally found what I think is one of the best spots for hunting in my life last weekend.  I have gotten permission to hunt my girlfriend's dad's place and there seem to be a decent amount of deer and I saw a bunch of good trails and sign.

I set-up my stand last weekend and the wind blew 16-21 out of the SSW which is not great but not horrible.  I didn't see anything though.

This weekend comes and I am really excited, I mean like never before, because I have not had a great spot in my limited hunting experience that I thought would produce like the current stand location.  Well, as luck would have it, the wind was forecast and blew ESE at 10-15 the whole time.  This is what I would consider the wrong wind and everything I have read says, "don't bother" if the wind is wrong. Do you guys adhere to this mantra or do you say "hunt when you can"?  What I don't want to do is spoil the stand and stink it up if it is going to be un-productive and without merit.  I am not patient enough to stalk so that seems to be out of the picture for me.

Please give me your thoughts as I am frustrated that I have wasted this weekend - of course I do have Thanksgiving holidays coming up and should be able to put in 4-5 days - That is IF the wind does not mess me up!!

Cheers,

James

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frustrated With Wind and No Hunting This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Sometimes I hunt no matter the wind, but our deer are not as steadfast on specific bedding sites, so they can come from anywhere.  That said, if the wind is wrong for the stands (I am assuming treestands) you set up, go in and make a ground blind or two in places that will work for the "wrong" wind.  Then you will be all set no matter which way the wind blows.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frustrated With Wind and No Hunting This Weekend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Listen, you cant shoot a deer if you are not in the woods. Of course hunt the wind, but show me one spot around here where the wind doesn't shift all day long. I have several stands in all areas to TRY to accomodate the wind.  Half the time deer come in from a totally different direction than all the sign shows.
If you are not confident with the treestand during a particular wind, set up on the ground in the same area to deal with the wind. Its better than not going. Or sit the stand anyway.  Even if deer spook,. you will learn a lot, and possibly get a shot anyway.
Also, thermals will many times carry your scent OVER the deer. I count on thermal currents ENORMOUSLY around here. I hunt tight spots, so if the thermals are lifting, I can effectively hunt a bad wind with success.
Get in there and hunt away James!!!!!   :archer2:
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©