3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another long underwear post - Wear what??  (Read 619 times)

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another long underwear post - Wear what??
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Under armor cold gear.
Do or do not.  There is no try.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
I do not like under armor unless I am moving all the time. I think everyone is different and some people just get cold (I am one of them) I think for the most part over dressing is a large problem, causing sweat and making you cold. I have tons of under garments (but have never tried the merino wool, on my list). The best I have found for the coldest weather is stuff from Cabelas, poly fleece stuff (made from pop bottles) it's fuzzy and brown, if I move I sweat so it's just for sitting below 0. Trial and error is all you can do, it would pay to write down a list of temperature and what you wore, then you would remember.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
I wear Duofold Sportsman with a high merino wool content.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
I seem to sweat the most down the middle of my back. For years I have sprayed my feet with unscented anti perspirant to keep them from sweating which causes them to get cold, so I asked the wife to spray my back with the anti perspirant this year.
 Yea, she looked at me kinda funny, but she did it. It really seemed to help stop the sweating that causes me to chill.
I also wear a merino base, then, if it's windy I wear wind stopper pants and shirt over the merino. Then regular hunting clothes.
Another thing that helps me stay warmer is a scarf around my neck. It's worth it's weight in gold.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Someone has misinformed you.  Both silk and poly dry much, much faster than wool. That's the reason they are so widely used as base layers.

Wool is warmer and stays warm better when it's wet.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
I go with base layers high in polyester. Mostly UnderArmor knockoffs. So long as they are the "compression" type clothing that fits you like a glove it works.  Academy Sports and even Kohls department stores have knock offs of the Under Armor base clothing that is practically identical. I think the Kohls brand is called "Tekgear". A long sleeve top is around $12. I bought two pairs of pants at Academy Sports last week for $8 each. I do not wear anything cotton beneath this base layer, not even normal "underwear". These are really only for moisture wicking and really do not provide much in the way of warmth by themselves. I wear these pretty much throughout the season, in warm weather they help wick away the sweat and you are comfortable much sooner after settling into your stand.

On top of this, depending on the temperature I go with various weights of Duofold. Have used it for years and been very satisfied with the performance. For mild cold I have middleweight and when it gets really cold I have a couple of Duofold "Union Suits" I found years ago that the one piece design keeps me warmer day in a day out than the two peice thermals.

I also like turtlenecks on top of this. I have several that I picked up at Target for a minimal cost. The turtleneck keeps my neck warm and helps keep heat from escaping around my collar.

Then my camo goes on last. For me that is usually a pair of camo jeans and a long sleeve camo T-shirt 1 size larger than I normally wear. So far this season I have not even taken a coat or jacket with me to my stand. I did wear my new Asbell pullover one day but just had on the long sleeve t-shirt underneath as it would have been way to hot otherwise.

Good luck!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
I am not sure about that Jeff. I know all the claims, but that is NOT how it plays out in my REAL world (that is why I am questioning it right now-kind of like scent lok debate!).

Silk and poly spread the moisture over a larger area which allows them to dry- EVENTUALLY. Meanwhile, as they spread out the moisture you are wet, COLD AND CLAMMY- particularly in the wind.  Wool wicks and gets wet too (and may dry slower)- HOWEVER it is NOT COLD AND CLAMMY!  Besides all of this- in my latest study here, it appears that the lightwt. mernio dries pretty darn fast.  I think that is my new direction to try.  Thanks for the input.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
I bought two different weight merino tops from KUIU and they seem to work really well.

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
I am a believer in a merino wool base layer.  you can get sweated up going in and still stay warm.  They dry fast too.  Nothing better for regulating body temp both ways.   Personally I own some minus33 long johns.  they are my favorite piece of gear.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Fleece for upper, poly for lower--cheaper stuff.  I also can't justify spending that much on something that has an X on it.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I like carol davis sportswear union suit. It is the warmest I have found and the quality is outstanding.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
"The key to keeping warm is to alow moisture to wick away from the skin, and to have air space so your body will warm that space up and keep you warm.NEVER wear cotton its the fabric of life just not hunting life. And goose down is an awesome insulating material. Wind will also rob you of body heat,the fleece and wool does a great job of stopping the wind.I was in a cold weather battalion in the Corps and went to some cold as heck places and this method keeps you warm. JMHO based on experience."

x2.
Base layer of any of the synthetics, merino wool, or silk. Heavy or midweight will probably suit you well, depending on your body's thermostat and how you layer. Wool and fleece are warm, and down is warmest and moderates temperature best when you're inactive in cold temps. Something windproof or at least wind resistant is highly effective as your outer layer.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
I have used a lot of different systems and prefer a base layer of polypro underwear.  Cabelas has some decent stuff that's not too expensive.  Polypro dries very fast as it doesn't absorb water like wool or other natural fabrics.  I can hang up my soaked polypro underwear after wearing it all day and it will be dry in a matter of a few hours.  

Wool is fine but it NEVER dries out once its wet.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
I use the Rocky mid-weight from Wal-Mart. Cheap and works well.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
So far this year I've been very pleased with the Terramarr ec2 Helix (geeze, sounds like a stinkin jet fighter!) lightweight long underwear.  As a base layer or just under my wool bibs.  

I use Mil Spec expedition weight polypro as the next layer when it gets truly cold, but so far this year we haven't been below freezing much; let alone below zero.  Global warming.  Yea!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Check out Patagonia for base layers...light, medium or heavy weight. I've got Ibex wool also that does the trick.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I have union suit from Cabela"s it is sleeveless as I worry about my core being warm. It is a combo of Merino wool with an under armour layer adhered to it, absolutely the warmest pieceof clothing I own and it was around $100 but I have had it 8 years and it is still in exc. shape. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Dan, You really owe it to yourself to try KUIU's Merino wool layers against your skin(others might be ok too, but I know KUIU uses the absolute finest merino wool in the world).

I'd always worn synthetics of some sort, some were fine, others were so cold against my skin I couldn't stay warm no matter what I put over them!

But since starting to wear KUIU's merino, I've never had a more comfortable against my skin!

It dries amazingly quick, and even after wearing it for days at a time sweating during turkey season this spring...it never developed any "fowl" odor. The same can't be said for the synthetics I've experienced.

Now I only wear KUIU merino top and bottom, and smartwool merino sox on my feet.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
I've gotten a bunch of merino wool sweeters at the local goodwill stores I wear them as long underwear warm soft and  about $3.00.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I bought several ase layers prior to my elk hunt this year,some sitka poly pro tops, and some merino wool tops and botttoms. When its hot, I liked the poly, but for the most part, I prefer the merino. AS mentioned, it has a great natural ability to not get stinky. That poly stuff gets ripe fast. I had a few prs of poly boxer briefs, and 1 pr of merino briefs. The poly would get funky in just a day, where the merino didnt stink even after a couple days bivy.

The price difference between UA, or sitka poly layers isnt much different than the merino,and well worth it. I definitely plan to pick up some more merino layers. Love the stuff.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©