3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you have any Hunting rituals ?  (Read 734 times)

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you have any Hunting rituals ?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
I used to use the same arrow to take my first two deer and a raccoon. It has since been retired. I would reuse the arrow I took my last deer with but I couldn't find the arrow. I also put my left sock and boot on before the right. It has brought good luck.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
coffee and a honeybun. a few minuets leanes up to a tree before i go to the woods helps me sit more still and longer.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
I use to change wich arrow I grabed out of the quiver if I need a change in my luck ( like useing arrow #2 instead of #1) but as I started this year with the same thought prosess on LUCK, I changed things up!  Now I grab my first arrow every time as I say "The Lord is my provider" to remind myself that LUCK has nothing to do with my sucses  :thumbsup:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Pray.

(I had a Bible college prof who used to say (in his scratchy voice), "You can ALWAYS pray!".)
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
For 20 some years I've had a old Schrade folder that Is always on my hip when I go hunting.Also have a ritual of cleaning up,re-fletching and re-sharpening the arrow & broadhead I just killed a deer with to try and take another.Worked this year as I took a doe and buck with the same arrow in 2 weeks.Mojo you think...or am I just reading too much into it? ;>)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I always try to forget to bring at least one necessity  on each outing and I do a pretty good job of being consistent with it. So far I havent forgot my bow or arrows but Ive come close. ADD is a helluva predicament.   :knothead:

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
My father and hunting buddy passed 21 years ago this December. For those 21 years I have carried a photo of the two of us with a the first and only deer he harvested in my back tag and I carry his compass in my pocket with me on every hunt. He's with me on every hunt!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
I was taught to do the "last bite" with a hemlock sprig by the leader of our gun hunting group (the father of a college friend) in 1980 and have kept it up. I still do this, after giving a prayer of thanksgiving to God and a prayer for the deer's sake. The deer gets a sprig and the hunter gets another dipped in the blood and worn in his hat brim for the rest of the hunt; or at least back to home. I understand this is a Germanic ritual.  His last name was Bristol - hardly German - but it could have been passed along from who knows who in his past.

Note the sprig in this year's doe's mouth. This, for me, was deer #39 and, amazingly, EVERY time I have shot or arrowed a deer there has been a hemlock tree within a few yards. I just find that interesting.

Another tradition, that I think is brilliant, is that you do not clean your fist deer. Someone else always did that in our group for a newcomer. Seeing as how usually the first timer was shaking like a leaf this was a great plan. And then they always had a demonstration for how it should be done.

I don't really have a bit of "lucky" or long-time gear that makes the hunt.  Though last year I dug a Snicker's bar out of my pack to munch on and it was the color of cork and tasted like a tongue depressor.  Have to remember to rotate the inventory.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Sit still
See Deer
Kill Same
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Normaly I say, "Todays going to be the day." Then at the end of the day I normaly say, " Tomorrow is going to be the day".

Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
I keep all my hunting clothes, bow, gear, etc. in the back of my truck all season long. Every evening sometime after I'm home, i get my backpack ready for the next day with whatever extra clothes i deem neccesary, another snickers bar and refill my water. I try to wear as few of my hunting clothes as possible on the ride there and put my boots on when i open the gate to park my truck. I try not to be annoyed at my hunting partners complete lack of concern for my scent control methods as he usually does none of these!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
AH.....Opening day is always cold meatloaf sandwiches. Doesn't do anything but fill me up.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
Ok you guys do all of that stuff that you do to bring yourself luck and say
"This one is for M.E.B." as I am having the worst season I have ever had in many, many years and nothing I have done has worked.

Say a prayer too if you feel led to as I only pray for others to be successful not ever for myself.  THANKS!  Mike.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Mike, I'll only speak for myself, but my rituals very rarely feel lucky to me. I've seen a total of 1 deer all seasons long from my treestand, and that was a spikehorn which we're not allowed to shoot!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
VTer, we must be hunting the same type of area. I have seen 1 flag and a deer at 60 yards. Maybe we should sacrifice a chicken....LOL!!   :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Keep using the broadhead that killed your last deer until you loose it or it wears out. It's experienced and knows what it needs to do...   :)
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
I have my whitetail huntin' cap and another that's my mule deer huntin' cap. Silly old superstition but it's mine & important to me.  
 If I'm successful I always give thanks to God and to the spirit of the animal. Also I do an old Indian ritual of placing a last bite of food in the animals mouth for it's final journey.
 Oh yeah, and how do we survive w/o peanut butter and apricot jam sandwiches???????????
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Pasties and Leinenkugel beer at deer camp.
ChuckC

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
especially if I hunt in the mountains - a cliff bar and a liter of water in the jeep.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
Other than shooting just over the top of whatever it is, I have no other rituals.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©