3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Close Call  (Read 605 times)

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Close Call
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Barry.  The two ladder stands on my in-laws property both have clevis pins holding the ladder sections together.  It is good to check (and replace) the ratchet straps each year.  they will get brittle being out in the elements.
>>>--------->

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
I always put boards or small logs under the bottom rung for just this reason, even if the sections pin together. As a maintenance tech, you just figure, if it can break, it will. That said, I hunt mostly from the ground. I can still fall, but it won't be far. Glad you're o.k. Uncle Barry!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
I too place a board under the legs of the ladder. My stands are drilled and clevis pinned at the joints to keep them from separating. Not fun when you realize in that split second, "I'm going down".
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
I have a self-climber that I strap together when up to elevation. Just don't want the floor falling out from up me and not having a way down! Plus it gives a more unified solid feel to the stand...tight is right.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
I had an ER experience one year when the sections seperated and came back down on my pinky. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been wearing a ring on that finger... or maybe it saved my finger! Had to have the ring cut off. It smashed to about half the diameter.

I put cotter pins in to hold the sections together now if they don't come with something for that.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Gene Hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Had an unnerving situation with a ladder stand just last week.  Went to one of my favorite locations for the first time this season because the wind was finally perfect.  Some scum bag had removed the three ratchet straps, but left the ladder.  I realized something was wrong because only three steps up the stand was mighty shaky.  Had I climbed to the top, the stand most likely would have toppled with me in it.  Not a happy thought in the dark from 18 feet up.  i've had 10 stands messed with this season.  Some of my hang- ons have had the bottom support (Climax Stands) pulled from the tree making a fall very likely if not noticed in the dark.  Be careful out there.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Good to hear you are safe and back on the ground.  I think I would do the pin thing with a drill and for an extra measure find a welder and have some feet made with square tubes to set the legs in.  If you are in Lansing I could make a bunch for ya.  If you give me the dimentions of the leg pipes I will whip up a few but shipping would be rediculous.

Bob Urban

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Gene, that is scarey!  Sounds like you have a saboteur in your woods.  Might be time to call the sheriff and take him for a walk.  I would think that could qualify for attempted murder.  Be careful out there!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Lynch Mob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I bought one of them self climbers once, had it for a whole year never did see it go up the tree by itself.
Thanks for the heads up Barry!

George
Hang'em Low
Lynch Mob

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Very good advice.  Thank you.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
Barry, fat old men shouldn't climb stuff, but unfortunately we have to if we wanna kill nice deer. I've got an old Gorilla stand that's been in a big oak so long that I can't take it down because the tree has grown around it. One of the ladder connections has a lot of "play" in it so I think I'll take my drill and put in some screws to keep it from coming apart.

Thanks for the tip...   :wavey:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
Good post, gets our attention.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
Ladders can be safer than hang ons or climbers for old fat guys.  But things can still go wrong as you found out Barry.  That's why even on my ladders I have them all set up with a static line and prusic knot.  I clip in before I ever leave the ground.

Sections could seperate, welds could break, rust from the inside might hide weak spots, wet boots slipping on a step.  All could be the cause of suddenly finding yourself laying on your back on the ground before you even have a chance to think about it.

Get some ropes in those trees and stay attached every step of the way!  I'm betting you aren't going to bounce too good if you ever hit the ground!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
Have any of you fat old guys noticed how they're making the rungs on those ladders farther apart then they use to be..   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Whip Said "Get some ropes in those trees and stay attached every step of the way! I'm betting you aren't going to bounce too good if you ever hit the ground!"

Joe, I know I don't bounce anymore. I STICK!
(and I am only half your age  ;)    :saywhat:  )

Be safe everybody.
Happy Thanksgiving.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
Here is a Man that cares! Thanks Barry! Great Tip.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
Barry,

Thanks for starting this thread.  I'm not a fan of heights.  I only use 3 sections of my ladder stands.  I only climb about 6 to 8 ft with a climber stand.  I would rather be low and feel somewhat safe than be higher up and feel totally miserable for the entire hunt!  This old man doesn't want to see how high he can bounce!    :eek:    :scared:    

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Have any of you fat old guys noticed how they're making the rungs on those ladders farther apart then they use to be..    :biglaugh:  
Hey! I noticed that very thing! I was thinking this morning about building a few more and putting the rungs closer together.

I used to use those sectional ladders too and had the same thing happen. One time, the section fell out near the top and I had no way to get the seat part down. It's still up there on that sweet gum near the flint river. If it ever floods high enough, I'll paddle in there and get it.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
Saw that happen to a stand on a bear hunt in MN.  The older stands did not have pins, and even some of the newer ones don't at the upper joint.  I drill and bolt those type joints just for that reason.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Good thread...thanks for posting it Barry.

WHIP...can you give me a link to the exact rope you are using for the line up to your stands?
The Lord is my Shepherd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©