3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: video and trail cameras  (Read 115 times)

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
video and trail cameras
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Christmas is right around the corner,  any suggestions on video or game trail cameras?  For the latter, how do you keep them from getting stolen?   I hunt "private land" but you know how that goes.

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: video and trail cameras
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
i love my covert cameras! they have bear boxs that you can lock your camera to the tree!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: video and trail cameras
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
You can not stop a determined thief. That said there are lots of cameras on the market to choose from.  I've had the 99$ wallyworld special, covert cameras, 200$ Wildgame, Bushnels, 300$ cuddybacks.

I have found here in Florida the life expectancy is about 2 years or less at best. I keep the cameras out all year long and though we have very few days of freezing temps the heat of summer and the rain and humidity really mess with them.

I no longer purchase cameras that need any external module to make them work. ie coverts. 4 of my 6 stopped responding to the module after about 18 months. 2 were replaced due to water damage but came with a different module and usb connecter.  They are a good camera with both video and pic ability. I still have one in the field.

99$ Wallyworld special. Eats D cell batteries up.
Fair to good response time.

Cuddyback. It's expensive and I don't get along with it's programing. Great pictures and works well when I set it correctly.

Wildgame. This is my newest venture. I like the ease of programing, buttons with screen that shows what you are adjusting, long run time on 8AA batteries, I use 2gig Sd card.

I have started using silicone gel on the oring seals and any port openings of all my cameras. This has helped with the moisture factor.

Best of luck there are lots of cameras out there.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©