3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow impact left ????  (Read 175 times)

Offline DC

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
arrow impact left ????
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
I recently purchased new surewood arrows. I have been using Kustom King tapered cedar arrows and I spec'd the new ones the same. The only difference is the new nocks are loose on the string and the total weight of the arrow is approximately 9gr. heavier. Will the loose nock cause me to shoot left? Up and down is fine, just impacts left (I'm right handed). Thanks for any guidance. Drew

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow impact left ????
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 04:52:00 AM »
Can't imagine loose nocks causing you to hit left, but have you tried using HOT faucet water to heat the nocks and the squeeze them together so they fit your string properly? Just a thought. May ask others before you try this as I have always shot carbon and I wouldn't want you to mess up your woodies on my account. Good luck

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
Im thinking they are to stiff a shaft either add weight or cut um a little longer.I dont think the nock would have anything to do with it.Arrow material Cedar then surewoods I would say the difference  the wood the arrow is made of.I would try more weight or longer shaft,My thoughts..Wait for the pro"s they will chime in on this one.Aloha
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
How far left are they hitting compared to the tapered shafts?Is it consistantly hitting left? if loose nock worry you you can tie a nock point above the nock to form a double nock to hold them snug(not to tight) it may be an issue that can be remedied by moving the strike plate. What are the specs on the bow? are the arrows cut to the same length and have same head weight and spine?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline DC

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
The arrow strikes 2 - 3 inches left. They are cut to the same length and have the same point weight. I don't really want to change my bow set-up for these arrows cause I'm dialed in with the others. They appear to be stiff to me too but I thought I'd ask about a nock issue. I'll experiment with point weight and see what happens. The bow is a Martin Custom Bushmaster 50@28 (draws 54 @ 27), using 55-60 shafts 28 1/2" bop 125 pt wt. Thanks, Drew

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Maybe the tight nocks cause a stiffer acting arrow making the old arrow work, but false weak / tuned. The loose nocks come off the string cleaner and show that the arrows are in fact over stiff.   :dunno:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
WHOA WHOA WHOA son that does not compute.  If the bow is 50 at 28 it should be LESS at a shorter draw and you say it draws 54 at 27?  I wonder if THAT is the source of some of your confusion.  You should probably be shooting 50-55 spine shafts with that bow or even 45-50's. Arrow spine on woodies are usually based on a 26 span for a 28 inch arrow and 125 grain points so your shaft length and point weight is right on with specs from what you would read on your typical arrow chart.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline Patrick55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Similar problem here when I switched to Surewood shafts from POC. I spine tested every shaft. They were real close to the POC I had been shooting. Try raising your brace height a little at the time. It is an easy fix (if it works). I raised mine by about 1/4” and they now shoot really well. I figured I would try that first instead of going through the hassles with point weight, arrow length and so forth. Let us know what you come up with. I’m curious.  It would seem to me that if both shafts are spine the same they should shoot the same. Except Carbons of course. That’s a different animal all together.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It teaches to recognize a mistake when you do it again.

Offline DC

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Martin bows typically draw 4-5 lbs more than they are marked. My brace height was 1/8" lower than usual. I'll adjust and see what happens. Thanks again.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Do a little playing around with Stu Miller's calculator.  You'll learn a lot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©