3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Jim is back from KANSAS!  (Read 1151 times)

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Jim is back from KANSAS!
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Very nice deer sir!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Coilsring is right honeylocust pods and they stink also. And ask jim bout those tree rats here cause they ant small either lol

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
Good job and great deer!   :thumbsup:

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
wow, I am running about 36 hours with little more than 3 hours sleep but can't get my self to relax. I'm still reeling over this whole thing.

Yes, the deer like those seed pods. I witnessed many being eaten.
The squirrels are more like fox. I believe it would only take one to fill me up.
longbowben, i'm keeping the horseshoe.
thanks guys, bigjim and more tomorrow.
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Congrats on a really nice deer, Jim!  Always look behind those does, esp in November!

Redshaft, those are honey locust pods.  The deer and other critters will eat them to get the pulp inside, but usually not until later in the fall/winter.

Hanging stands is when you really need that harness Jim.  A harness and a linesman rope makes hanging a stand much easier as well as safer.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
Way to go, BJ.  I'm envious of your season.  Chad

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Great job big Jim filling the frezzer and putting a trophy on the wall please put some of your good deer hunting mojo into the buffalo your building for me and all my arrows will fly straight and true to the boiler room of all the deer I shoot at.  Ha ha Burton

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
Great buck and yodel dog! I sure want to shoot a yote one of these days.

Congrats again,

Bisch

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
Thats a great buck and not so pretty coyote.Great hunt.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2011, 05:29:00 AM »
Congrats from Hawaii...Aloha Ron
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Awesome great story
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
After harvesting my buck, we decided to take the rest of the day off to tend to a few errands. Dropped the buck off at the processor (won't do that there again. Wow, I have never paid so much to have a deer processed). Did a little grocery shopping and generally tried to relax.

That night, Jake and Tessa (jakes wife) brought us some wonderful supper and a little libation.
It was my first time having Bird Dog and Dr.Pep, but it was right smart fuel.
Anyway, we ate and chatted and of course went to bed too late. When the alarm went off at 3:30, my bride said He#% No. your on your own.

So I left out for the hunt property alone. While driving, I noticed that the truck thermometr was indicatine a significant drop in temp. 21 deg for the morning and a forecasted high of 45 with 35 mph winds.
The winds were normal, but with the colder weather, I was expecting a increase in the already great deer activity.  
As I drove, my drousy state left me concentrating so hard on the road that I didn't notice the 4 mule deer does just waiting to surprise me from the ditch.
We were all fortunate in that no parties were injured in the brief but very exciting encounter, but how they got away is beyond me. I could have reached out my drivers window and grabbed one by the ears and while slowing down as fast as I could without loosing controll, another continued to disapear below the front of my hood.
I'm sure there was a foul smell in the air, both inside and outside the truck but even my underwear were unscathed.

Unfortunatley, the rest of the morning was uneventful, well at least on my end.

While talking with Jake on the cell, I missed a call from Barbara. As I attempted to return her call, I was interupted by a 911 operator who had informed me that my wife would like me to return to her as soon as possible because the house was on fire!
Now if I hadn't mentioned it, Jake and his family were kind enough to allow us to stay at hhis parents home while we were visiting. Jakes parents had been gone since around May working out of town and the house was vacant.
Barbara had texted me around 10:am to wish me luck and that she had cleaned up and did a little laundry. She was about to shower and then take a nap in our second story bed room. Around Noon, she was awoken to a popping noise she thought was me closing my truck door. She glanced out the window to determine that It was not me and detected the odor of burning wires.

Barbara then walked down to the kitchen and immediately notice smoke billowing in from the garage area and opened the garage door to investigate. Not the best idea. There was nothing she could do.
Now I personally have never been in a fire, but I can't help but feel that I would have acted nearly the same as Barb and that is to say, try to remove as much from the house as possible. Yes, that is not wise, but that is aparently what goes through your mind.
She retrieved many items before the neighbors and police wouldn't allow her to return to the home.
I had informed Jake of the situation and flipped the swith on my Dodge to hover craft and kicked in the turbos. I made good time for having traveled 52 miles of dirt road, but it still seemed as though I was not going fast enough.

Upon arival, the FD had everything under controll except my Wife. I calmed her down and set in to wait. It was a long day for everyone involved but fortunatley no one was hurt and the house that looked worse for wear was not a total loss.
That night, Jake and some relatives and I boarded up the damaged windows and doors and retreated to Perkins for a High calorie well deserved meal.
Jake and I discussed plans for the upcoming days and determined that there wasn't much for anyone to do until his parents could come home late the following day so I decided to go back to the woods on Thursday.
I will post more about BigJim and Barbs always exciting adventures this evening. More fun ahead, without all the drama.
thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Wow !

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Congrats on a great buck!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Well KS bucks are taking a pounding this year. Great deer.

Offline blazelefty7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Congrats on an awesome hunt.  Those honey locust pods are like magic around here during late season.  After the hard frosts and snow, the deer dig them up like turnips.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Cool hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Congrats on a nice deer.  Sorry to hear about the fire though.

Joe

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Great thread Jim but sorry about the fire.  What a mess!
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Too bad about the fire, but that is one helluva buck!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©