3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: so i thought i had a good grasp on this whole string jumping thing...  (Read 153 times)

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
but i was wrong.  spent the last week in Ohio chasing whitetails.  hunting at a buddies place that i venture off to most years.  anyway, for some reason most of the bucks were hanging out where he was hunting, but i did have this nice 8 point come in twice. first time, i couldnt get him to stop, but the second i hit pay dirt..... almost.

tried to stop him in one shooting lane but he wasnt having it, but he ended up circling my tree and going to a small pond i was very close too.  12 yard shot, slightly quartering away.  now i know about whitetails and string jumping, and honestly i usually account for that but this deer was not only not alert, but had his head down drinking.  seemed like a slam dunk.  and it was!  i slam dunked the pond after he ducked and i shot right over him!
better luck next year...
is it September yet??

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: so i thought i had a good grasp on this whole string jumping thing...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
LOL- 2 points for you then!

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
I feel your pain--did the same thing the other day on a nice doe. The arrow skidded over her back when she dropped down. A Great miss!

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
I never accounted for string jumping when taking deer. There was a time I missed a doe and she simply walked up to the arrow and sniffed it. This gave me a second chance at a shot. I guess it depends on how quiet the bow is and the amount of pressure they deal with. There is virtually no pressure where I hunt. My recurve is louder than my longbow but a buck I shot a couple weeks ago with the recurve didn't hear it coming.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
At least you got a clean miss. I caught a doe in the shoulder on Sunday morning. I shot low but forward...coupled with her ducking no vitals were hit. I'm pretty confident she'll live to fight another day, but it's a crappy feeling.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Those Whities are crazy
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I'm with you.  I hunted Ill with some family this fall for wily whities.  I was on the ground and had a doe at 18 yards.  I drew and reached my anchor undetected, but I had to stop her in a small lane.  When I released she was looking at me and standing broadside.  When my 600 grain arrow arrived she had swapped ends!  Clean miss.  They have hair pin triggers!!!

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
I had the exact opposite happen to me in Idaho this year. I stopped a nice buck by grunting at him! He was looking directly at me and I purposly shot low and the darn deer just stood there looking at me as my arrow passed about 5 inches below him. Then he goes and sniffs the arrow and trots away! Sometimes you just can't win!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©