3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for some opinions on a "Hot" topic  (Read 554 times)

Re: Looking for some opinions on a "Hot" topic
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
My brother, that I have not spoken to in many years, used get all full of himself every time he would kill something and cuss a blue streak and say things like "I got you, to (mf'npiece of s--)" and worse. With him being a hunter safety instructor, it seemed like a total hypocrisy to me.  Of course I was considered a sissy for not feeling all that good about things when I killed something. I get emotional every time I shoot an animal in a way. While I love to hunt and eat wild game, I always have a feeling of dread and guilt when ever I kill something.  It is not something I celebrate and cheer about ever and it has not gotten any easier with time. Killing a beautiful wild creature is not something to be taken lightly or in jest. I think for most trad hunters it is serious business and gets the contemplation it deserves.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Bladepeek- X2

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
As exciting as it is, it is with great sadness.  When I hunt I feel the joy of putting it all together and to the best of my ability make a quick humane shot.  But with an animal down I may get excited but sad at the same.  I always stop for a moment to pay respect to what an amazing creature it is that I pursue.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I don't like watching football players dance and show off after a touchdown.  Its there job and something they are supposed to do, why act like they just performed some miracle.  I don't like watching outdoorsmen do the same thing, but that is how I look at it.  I am not in the entertainment biz, and the hosts of shows are.  They are the ones who have received sponsors and contracts, because they have the ratings numbers that show many viewers like their screen presence.  If you have not noticed those of us who frequent this board do not fit the general profile for our society, or even for the hunting portion of our society.  So I would expect many of us to not find what the general public enjoys as palatable.  However with each generation there is a change in what is acceptable and expected behavior.  I would expect that younger members would find exuberant celebration more natural than us older folk who grew up with examples of outdoorsmen who spoke in four word sentences, and might show a slight smile to acknowledge an accomplishment.  Every one should be allowed to show emotion as they feel natural and appropriate.  If your with me expect my post shot whispering to speed up and get a bit louder.  Oh and I'll have a big smile.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Even as a kid or young adult I don't remember hooping or hollering much. I always remember admiring the animal and its beauty. I liked being by myself so I could just enjoy everything and I guess reflect. There is something about a fresh kill that can only be treasured for a short time. If you ever see pics or videos of the Wensels you will see what I mean. You get to see and feel every thing. So I guess that is respect and admiration for the animals we love so much. I remember the first ducks I got to handle you feel the weight you look at there eyes feel there feet look at the plumage and all the colors and one shot that falls on dry land is so much better. It is all about filling all your senses to the fullest.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Having seen a lot of death in a variety of environments,  I tend to take it very seriously,  I always feel excitement and sadness when I make a kill.   The animal did nothing to deserve it's death except taste good.   I take the time to think about the animal and what taking that life means.  I do not hunt with folks who whoop and holler.   That not it my style.   I think society has moved to far away from teaching respect for others and all living things.    Celebrate in your own way it is your experience to enjoy.   Just don't ask me to join you in the celebration.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
This is a good discussion, one that seems well worth having. The celebrating that comes to my mind is what I see represented on the outdoor TV shows. I have never understood the fist pumping and statement " I just smoked em!" Honestly I don't get what that is even supposed to mean. It seems to me that out of  respect to the creator of all life some form of thank you to God for the skill, time, location , animal given, etc would be appropiate. Whether that "thank you" is full of excitement or more sober, hey each of us is different so that's a personal choice.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
I dunno....there's a difference between scoring a touchdown and killing an animal. The guys that don't see that aren't welcome in my camp.

As Mark Baker said, it's not a spectator sport and there-in lies the bulk of this discussion.

A little reverence please.......
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
I think respect,reverence and good taste says it all!   :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
I think Biggie summed up my feelings pretty well.

I've never felt the urge or see the need for the amount of celebration that some of these guys do. Maybe it's genuine, Generally speaking I don't care for it.
I just know personally if I have a choice, I'd much prefer to be alone. Emotionally I am somewhere between excited, sad, and grateful all at once. I normally spend a few quiet minutes to settle down, thank God and then it's time to get busy dressing and dragging.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
Is this a carry over from another thread about "smoking a doe?"  And I'm not talking about BBQ or making jerky.

Do what you want.  If it only impacts you then who is to care? But when it is recorded for all the world to see...well that's a different story.  When somebody elses actions stand to jeopardize my rights and privlidges you are going to hear about it.

No different than fellas on my lease hopping the fence and jeopardizing my relationship with my neighbors before I can make contact with the neighbor...guess what happens next?  It is simply a matter of respect, for the animal and for your peers.

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I can only echo a lot of what has already been said here.

But I'd say the big difference between a forum such as this, and most mainstream venues, is that this conversation is even taking place. And respectfully and intelligently, at that.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
I get excited, but no hollering.  Of course your heart rate is up and maybe a fist pump to myself.  Most of that jazz is 'made for tv'.  I'm glad to see the excitment but perhaps it goes too far in certain circumstances.

I'm not a TV hunter and wouldn't make a good one.  I'm not a trophy hunter.  To me, anything with a bow is a trophy.  I don't get the chance to hunt some of the places these TV guys and gals do.  

I wish we had some more trad only shows out there.  I truly enjoy watching Fred.  I think he embodies pretty well what traditional hunting is about.  Of course he likes to shoot trophy animals, but he's not over consumed about it.
>>>--------->

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Am not sure what to say but I appreciate ever kill and am thankful for it no matter what that animal is or how big or small it is.

To the original poster turn the TV off and do what you feel is right in your heart and you can't go wrong.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
I show emotion. Iam not laughing at the animals expense. Iam excited at my success, all the hard work an all the close encounters that did not pan out I am happy at the closure of my goal.the "fistpump" is victroy of my hard work.I thank god for my skill an the deer.Iam not one of these spritual,become one with the woods type an spend 2 hours saying a prayer to smokey the bear an every indian I ever knew.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Everybody is different. I will not judge someone on how they react after shooting an animal but on how they pursued that animal and the follow up on caring for that animal. I get a smile on mt face everytime I watch the footage of Fred Eichler shooting his grizzly bear. Him throwing his hands up and the look on his face shows it all for me.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
IMO the TV hunters are doing most of the celebrating for the camera. Most of these fellas would probably act totally different if by themselves. It sure makes them look foolish IMO.

Maybe getting older has something to do with it. I am pretty sad after killing and the older I get, the more so and I certainly don't have the urge to do some of these things. I have never hunted with anyone that acted that way but if someone did, I would suspect he was just putting on an act.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dan Bonner:
To me this is an easy question. Your personal behavior is your business and yours alone. No one has the right to make that call for you. Enjoy your freedom to do whatever you want.
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by maineac:
I don't like watching football players dance and show off after a touchdown.  Its there job and something they are supposed to do, why act like they just performed some miracle.  I don't like watching outdoorsmen do the same thing, but that is how I look at it.  I am not in the entertainment biz, and the hosts of shows are.  They are the ones who have received sponsors and contracts, because they have the ratings numbers that show many viewers like their screen presence.  If you have not noticed those of us who frequent this board do not fit the general profile for our society, or even for the hunting portion of our society.  So I would expect many of us to not find what the general public enjoys as palatable.  However with each generation there is a change in what is acceptable and expected behavior.  I would expect that younger members would find exuberant celebration more natural than us older folk who grew up with examples of outdoorsmen who spoke in four word sentences, and might show a slight smile to acknowledge an accomplishment.  Every one should be allowed to show emotion as they feel natural and appropriate.  If your with me expect my post shot whispering to speed up and get a bit louder.  Oh and I'll have a big smile.
In my opinion this was a excellant post. I see your point of view very well, and this makes total sense.

Now again as the OP i want to  say again, when i say i get excited i dont mean i go to NEAR the extent of said TV hunters, I find some of their stuff awkward as well.  I do show respect for the animal, i practice year round almost daily, i only take shots i am very comforatable with and i use every bit of the deer as i can.

I just dont understand how showing an appropriate amount of excitement is offensive, but i think that Maineiac is on to something with the changing of times. I am 19, maybe my generation is just different, But i sure dont mean to step on anybodies toes when i get excited.

Thanks for the responses guys!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Like the rest of you guys, I really enjoy hunting and meeting the challenge of taking game, especially deer and other big game. But, the only way I can justify killing an animal is by knowing that there is a legitimate purpose in doing so. That two-fold purpose is to put meat on the table and to manage the natural resources that God has given us stewardship over. Therefore, we should certainly enjoy our hunting successes, but lets make sure that we don't take lightly the killing of an animal. Put another way, I agree with Biggie Hoffman! Joe
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©