3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for some opinions on a "Hot" topic  (Read 555 times)

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for some opinions on a "Hot" topic
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
I think it is highly personal, and in my highly personal opinion I don't like to watch it on TV.

Where I come from the hottest emotion is the quietest.

That said, I do like to see my friends happy, so ... whatever.

A campfire "clink" works great.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Respect for the animal and thanks to mother earth for providing.I cant stand all the high fives and hollering after the shot. Also why are they still whispering  15 minutes after the shot, dead animals cant hear. I dont watch many hunting shows any more I just cant all the BS.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
We are allowed 6 deer with no daily limit so I am keeping my mouth shout. You don't know what else is coming in.

Just don't feel the woods is ever a place for yelling (unless I see a snake).

I do get excited, also a little remorseful about killing the animal. Of course that goes away when the back straps are on the grill

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
I dunno....there's a difference between scoring a touchdown and killing an animal. The guys that don't see that aren't welcome in my camp.

As Mark Baker said, it's not a spectator sport and there-in lies the bulk of this discussion.

A little reverence please.......
amen to that, brutha biggie.

revere and be thankful for the sustenance critters you kill provide, leave the ego for game time.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
1) I am almost always alone when I hunt. Very few people are ever going to see my reaction. What I do at that moment is my business only.

2) I pay very little attention to hunting media and how hunters react to a kill. What they do at that moment is their business only.

3) The act of killing a fine game animal can be very emotional for many, and those emotions get expressed a lot of different ways. From wonderment to joy...from tears to hugs...from silence to "slapping five"...who are we to judge how a man expresses his feelings at such an occasion?

I have better things to attend to.

Offline Ryan M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
I am not a fan of hunting shows because of this.  Saw one this weekend that turned my stomach sort-of.

Now, what you do out there is your own business and I won't criticize, but what these guys do in front of the camera, making a show for all to see, is downright hurtful to hunting in my opinion.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Whatever you do, if it is a  genuine  release of your emotion, who is anyone else to judge? It's what you do, it's who you are.  Trying to tell someone else how they "should" feel in a particular situation is impossible.

I've seen people laugh in tragic situations, weep in happy situations, and faint in stressful situations.  I've even personally applauded to a performance on TV, while sitting alone in my family room.  How crazy is that?  It's how your body works, it's physiological.

If it's genuinely how you feel, your reaction to any situation will be automatic and uncontrollable.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by TNstickn:

Originally posted by Dan Bonner:
To me this is an easy question. Your personal behavior is your business and yours alone. No one has the right to make that call for you. Enjoy your freedom to do whatever you want.
:thumbsup:      :campfire:  [/b]
If you do it on TV, you "speak" for all of us.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
I had voiced my displeasure on a thread a while back on how the "Pros" on TV put on their after shot "performances" and the comments they make after the shot like "I just smoked him!!!!!"

The way I see things, all of us (hunters) are ambassadors for our sport/way of life to the non hunting people of the world and the way we react to killing an animal leaves a lasting impression on non hunters. I think that if a non hunter sees a hunter whooping it up after making a kill they would be less supportive of hunting than if they saw a more subdued reaction. It's the same reason why we don't strap that deer to the hood of out car and parade up and down Main St.

Now I mostly hunt public land where non hunting public shares the land to hike, bird watch and enjoy. I figure that I never know when someone will be watching me or who I might cross paths with in the woods.

I know that everyone reacts diffrently in situations and I am not telling anyone how they should show their emotions I am just saying that maybe some hunters should keep the whooping and hollering, fist pumping, stupid comment making, orgasm in your pants celebrations out of the woods and off of the TV.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
I think what you do in the woods, stays in the woods. It's not like your on national TV, your by yourself or maybe with a friend or two, and with your Lord, it's a personal thing, do what you have to !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
Hear's something my dad told me years ago about hunting. It's has to do with respect of the critter your after

(It's what you do when nobody is watching)

doug77

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©