3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Padding skinny strings  (Read 336 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Padding skinny strings
« on: November 21, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I'm going to make some bowstrings out of Dynaflight 10, probably 8 strands.  I understand from searching previous posts that people recommend padding the string loops with B-50.  The advice has been to take maybe 3 - 8" strands of B-50 per bundle if 2 bundles are used and just "wax them in" to the strands of the bowstring.  I think I understand what that means, but if anyone wants to expand on that, I would appreciate it.

Is there any particular reason to use B-50 for padding?  If I happen to have some old fast-flight string (brand unknown) would that that probably work as well?

Would it be better to pad the string under the serving, or use thicker serving, or apply two layers of thin serving to get the thickness of serving I need?

Any other advice about making skinny bowstrings that would be different from making 16 strand bowstrings?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline TWarrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Padding skinny strings
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Pick up Chad Weavers new vid.. How to make a great bow string from 3river he shows you everything you need....Great vid and great guy..

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Dave, I build quite a few D10 8 strand strings. I pad the loops to 16 with B55 (or B50). I think the softer dacron padding helps in making the bow quieter.

For serving, I use .017 first, then serve over it (in the opposite direction) with .021. This gives good nock fit for most carbon arrow nocks.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
I actually already have Chad Weaver's video on order, but I didn't know if it covered padding nock loops.

Thanks also for A.S.'s suggestion on how to double-serve the string.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
The DVD does cover padded loops.  Make sure to go to very end to see Chad do a split.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Just my 2 cents...I'd pad with the D-10 (or the same material…whatever you’re making your string out of), just cut some 10" sections and place them on the outside of the main bundle and twist them in.  

When I make an 8-strand D-10 string I’d pad to 14 with 3 extra strands of D-10 (in each bundle all 10” lengths) spaced the same distance apart as the others fade out from the jig board.  This also allows them to end at different distances on the finished fadeouts below the loops.

Serving…you can double serve with .018 Braided 62XS, or a combo of .018 Braided 62XS first with either .017/.019/.021 Halo over it depending on nock fit desired.  

Hope this makes sense.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Why is d10 preferred over d97 for skinnys?

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by AkDan:
Why is d10 preferred over d97 for skinnys?
I have found much less creep. Once the D10 string settles in it stays put.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
AkDan, less creep.

McDave, like olive says, use the same f.f. material.

I use to use dacron, and heard where folks were experiencing "squeeze out" in the loops.

Changed over before I had it happen, but it did.
And i have been padding loops since the early 90's.

I also pad the serving.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
What is "squeeze out"?

For years I wouldn't pad out my loops with anything but the material the string was made from, even though a friend of mine had been using dacron to pad out his loops for years with no problems.  After giving it a try on my personal bows, I began using dacron and haven't found any negatives.  

McDave, if you have any questions after watching the video, just holler.  It's a pretty simple process.

Chad

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Thanks Chad!  Good to know I can get advice straight from the horse's mouth!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Chado, just saw the new video advertisement...lol.  Talk to you soon, hope all is well.

As for stretch creep on skinnys..I have to do them over a few times to get the right length enough I think I get it all out...or atleast it seems that way.  My last one is an 8 strand d97 and it hasnt moved.   Someday I'll remember to take notes  ;) .......maybe !

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
I'm going to experiment with some Dynaflight '10 here in the MS heat.  When it first came out, Ray at BCY told me there wasn't a big difference between it and '97 (20% stronger), so I didn't get into it.  I am going to give it a whirl though--nothing like hands-on experience.

As for stretch creep on skinnys..I have to do them over a few times to get the right length enough I think I get it all out  
To me, that's one of the problems--not nearly as adjustable.  It takes a lot more twists to lengthen or shorten it a half inch.  Not so much a problem if you know exactly what you need, but it can pose a problem when you are tuning a bow that has an inch or more in brace height range.

Can someone explain to me what "squeeze out" is?

Chad

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I am certainly not an expert string maker, but after purchasing Chad's 'Doing the Twist' video and some practice it got easy, thanks Chad.

Getting the correct length with skinny strings is difficult, and as Chad has mentioned less adjustment without a lot of twists. Of course with flemish you can undue one end and adjust length as needed.

I pad with the same material the string is, using astroflight right now, 8 strand padded to 12, double served with 62xs .017 under and .021 over and it has been rock solid. D97 skinny strings elongated more than the astroflight or ultracam.

Chad, regarding squeeze out I remember reading a post a while back about using dacron for padding fast flight type endless loop strings where the dacron would move around and bunch up. Do not remember any other details though but it impressed me enough to move away from it. Do not know if it applies to flemish. One would think the way the strings are twisited together in the flemish it would be hard for the dacron to move around vs the endless loop where they are layed in and served. Heck, don't shrew bows come with the entire string padded with dacron.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 02:55:00 AM »
Chad...everytime I built them with d97 using my regular numbers, they would initially stretch to much and keep right on going becoming too dang long to even try twisting.....first started redoing the hole thing, till it settled down.  Than would redo one loop till I either nailed it or came in just a smidge long.   This last one is spot on and hasnt moved.    Either way its a pain....still got some tinkering do to.  Ie taking notes on my initial numbers and see if there is any kind of consistency to this stretch.  I just dont make enough to worry about it but it is afterall annoying to say the least lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©