3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: simple answer for a new project  (Read 300 times)

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
simple answer for a new project
« on: July 14, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
I bought some osage billets online.  The grain is very violated.  Will a rawhide backing be enough or do I need to but some other type of backing.  I have both rawhide and hickory backing, but no form.  What do you suggest?  I am aiming for 55-60# draw at 26".  The bow will be 68" of the flatbow variety.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: simple answer for a new project
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
You say you bought billets ...do they need to be spliced in the handle or did you buy slats(full length sawn boards)?
   If you need to splice billets at the handle, you will have to back it with the hickory, at least over the splice(handle area) but you might as well do the whole back.
  If slats, you can use either backing. The rawhide will protect the violated back but not add performance. A 1/8" thick hickory backing strip will protect the back but also add quite a bit to the performance.
   What I would do is shape and pre-tiller the slat to floor tiller stage(about 4") and glue the hickory backing to it while it is pulled into about 3" of reflex...also referred to as Perry Reflex.  You can use Tite-Bond II or III, Urac or other appropriate glues to glue up the backing. I have made a few hickory backed osage bows. They make excellent, hard hitting hunting bows. I would go with 64" to  66" for your 26" draw and you will be able to make weight easily.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: simple answer for a new project
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
I did a z splice in the handle and glued on a handle.  Both with Urac.

What about a static recurve with a hickory backing.  Possible?

Pat B, Thanks for the help.  I guess I need to make a form to get the backing on the spliced billets.  Then try to acquire some rubber tubing.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©