3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I have two questions. please advise.  (Read 297 times)

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
I have two questions. please advise.
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »
I'm new to trad and had two questions pop into my head along with many more every day but these two I wanted to ask you guys/gals with more experience. First question: Do you believe that using a smaller diameter arrow shaft would help or benefit a longbow shooter to get closer to center.. "if that makes any sense".  Second question: If you get your string twist set so that the brace height is correct and lets say you go on a pack in hunt with a two piece take down bow. What steps do you take to get the string twist back to perfect? I'm guessing measuring it or having something the perfect length between the riser and string to measure it.. thanks for any advice!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I have two questions. please advise.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »
I don't like fat arrows-they just won't penetrate as well-is my thinking-skinny is better.
As far as maintaining string length is concerned; just pull one loop through the other and tie it up; you won't have to worry about untwisting.

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »
Congratulations first on starting traditional! To answer your first question I have shot about every type of arrow material out of my bows and it is just a matter of getting the spine right. I shoot Gold Tip carbons (small diameter) and woods (larger diameter) and see about the same results once you get the spine right. Maybe specifiy your issues more exact and me or others would be able to answer your question a little more accurately. For the second question, a easy way to make sure your brace height is right without adding more gear to a weight/space limited hunt is to mark your arrows that you will be hunting with. Just get bow strung and make sure brace is right, then nock an arrow and using a permanent felt pen or marker, mark a line on the arrow where it contacts the back (belly) of the riser. This is a great way to take a simple sight evaluation of your gear in the field on any hunt. Simple and easy. Hope this helps and I am sure more will post with useful ideas as well. Good luck!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »
Proper arrow spine is more inportant than diameter.Find a arrow that flys good with your set up.Your string you can pull one loop through the other and  tie it off.It will keep your string from twisting.Welcome to Tradgang .

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »
A razor sharp broad head on a properly tuned arrow pit in the right place will determine how much penetration you get more than diameter. I've everything from 5/16 to 23/64 in wood arrows and at normal hunting ranges with trad gear it made no difference in my experience.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
I got a Black Widow longbow in a trade just before hunting season this year. My Goldtip 3555 arrows shot perfect bullet holes on paper but they were consistently hitting right of where I was looking. I tried a set of wood arrows spined exactly the same and presto! They hit exactly where I was looking. A couple weeks later I shot the biggest buck of my life with that set up. In my opinion... Yes, shooting different diameter arrows does change the point of impact. It has the same possible effect as changing the thickness of the strikeplate or centershot of your bow.

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
I just use my hand to make a fist with my thumb up - "think Fonzie for those old enough to remember"

I place my hand on my riser and mnentally mark where the string is in relation to my thumb on each bow at optimal fitsmel.  I check this periodically when shooting/hunting until I know the string has set in nicely and feel it is done stretching.  If I take the bow apart or unstring it I check after I string it back up and adjust acordingly.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Take a magic marker and mark you arrows with a line where the arrow and back of bow  come together when you find the correct brace height. When I was cresting arrows I would make one cresting line at that spot so each arrow was a brace height indicator. That way you don't need any special tools other than the arrows you are already using.

I also like skinny arrows.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
A skinny arrow can improve arrow flight because it is closer to center on the riser. However if it is not in tune you are just wasting your time with it.
James Kerr

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I dont even remove the string from takedowns. After letting down, I put a rubber band on the upper and lower limb holding the strings in place. Take it apart, and pack it how you need it, the string will still be on both limbs. Plenty of slack to break down and pack. Then reassemble and restring it when ready. Its in exactly the same spot when you started.
David M. Conroy

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Bill hasa good idea, I know what others are saying butsh#t happens and it is wise to measure from the deepest part of the grip to the string to be safe. You can use an arrow that has been marked or a tape. I myself have 3 bows that the brace is 8"s and when my hand is fully stretched that is the distance from the tip of my pinky to the tip of my thumb, or close enough. Get the spine right and diameter does not matter. Shawn
Shawn

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Well, both your questions have been answered above, so I will just say "Welcome".

Bisch

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
What sheephunter said and remember to make sure the line on the shaft lines up with the back of the riser as some strings have a tendency to creep...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all the great ideas and advice. Sounds like you have got it figured out! Marking the arrow and adding rubber bands to each end of the limbs will work great. Thanks again for all the advice, I love this place!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
When I travel I get  my brace set then nock an arrow and pick a spot on the riser and take a marker and mark the arrow then later just string up nock the arrow to see if you are good, if not adjust and check again
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©