3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why so many bows?  (Read 1206 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Why so many bows?
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
RM81's post got me thinking of WHY DO WE OWN MULTIPLE BOWS, we only NEED one?  I suspect all of us have our "go to bow" that we shoot AT LEAST twice as good as any of the others, so why do we feel the need to buy more?

For me there are several reasons:

1)  One I own belonged to a dear friend that has past on.  I like carrying it sometimes to still feel his presence. I have knives like that too.

2) One is my go to bow. I shoot it better than I deserve.  Not at all the prettiest or the "best" in the fold.

3)  I just liked the craftsmanship and simple beauty of most of my other ones. I appreciate things made well by hand.

4)  With a couple more, I THOUGHT that I had found the perfect grip.

So why do you own more bows???
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why so many bows?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
I own many Pronghorns because I want one of every model Herb made. Some models he made only a dozen or so, and I feel lucky to own one of those. I shoot most all of them, and am trying to kill something with every one of them.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Because I can!

Seriously though mostly because of #3.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
I only own 5 bows. One is my first traditional bow. One is one a friend and I made. another is one the same friend gave me to kill a turkey with it. One is my bowfishing bow. And my T-hawk is my bow that I shoot all the time.
James Kerr

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
You can never have too many toys.Im ordering another MOAB this week 60" 65@28 .Dont tell my wife  :nono:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
I like shooting as many as I can, but there is an adrenaline rush of finding an old bow at a garage sale. I love taking it home and cleaning it up, then shooting it on a 3D course while imagining all the hunts that bow has seen. I also get a selfish pleasure of getting these bows in other peoples hands.

I last counted 21 bows but then placed 4 with new owners. Last night I found 2 more at an auction and couldnt help myself.

Also I have my 5 bows that I use all the time for hunting. they all serve different purposes based on the game I am after and sentimental value as stated in AW's post.

2 bows will never be shot again because they are damaged goods but nice to look at and listen to their stories.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Personally, I'm not into owning more things than I need.  At some point, the things you own start to own you.

I have one "go-to" bow and one back up set of limbs.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Let's just say I keep running out of pegs and leave it at that!   :bigsmyl:

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
I keep it simple-2 recurves[Dyes], 2 Longbows[Hummingbird], and one metal riser bow[Titan]. Enjoy each for it's benifits and it's tradeoffs. Also have one target compound and one hunting compound [Mathews]. Never get bored with shooting targets or stumps. Used to shoot guns and reload ect. now archery takes all my time. Thanks , Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Admire trust factor, familiarity, confidence, etc. in one bow concept especially anyone who shoots one bow. Don't know how they do it? Could never be w/o 2 bows min. This length, that weight, benefit of those wood combos, & happy price can easily wreck the best minimalist plans.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
It's like my wife said..."Why do you have so many bows; you can only shot one at a time?"  To my reply..."Why do you have so many pairs of shoes; you can only wear one pair at a time".  I think she got the point.  I was a brave man at the time...

I love trying different styles and brands.  Not to mention it is an addiction of love for me.  I love this sport and pray the next generation appreciates it as much as we do.  You can never own too many sticks.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
I'm just starting out, I'm up to 5 now.I guess for me it's the character of each bow. They all shoot differently.Maybe it's because I haven't found my niche bow yet but I'm having fun finding it.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
I have a PCHX that I took a doe with and a PTFX that I also took a doe with both this year. I love both of them and they are 50@28
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
WE have so many bows for the same reason woman have so many hi heels we just like them.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
I think that traditional bows manage to fall in to several categories that make them very tempting, desirable, and rewarding to own more than one.

First of all they are amazing and ancient tools that are a conduit to our experience of the natural world and can connect us with our heritage. They then become symbols of our outdoor experience.

Second, they fall into the "man toy" category. I mean come on, they shoot projectiles, are made of wood, look cool, have power in them, can be used to kill animals, and feel great in your hand etc...

Third, like mentioned above, they are hand made art. And each bow represents a lot of skill, effort, design, and craftsmanship. This is contrary to many of our possessions these days which are made quick and dirty in a far away and anonymous sweatshop factory. Plus, they are mostly made in the USA! And you can actually talk to the person that made them! How rare is that these days?

Fourth, there is the "but I might need it some day" category and the "but the deal is so good" category.

There is also the "neglected treasure" that needs to be discovered and saved from the junk pile in someone's shed. How can you pass a good one up at a garage sale if you know that it might never be appreciated or taken to the woods?

Finally, there is the collector mentality. Trad bows are a perfect item for collectors. Each one is unique and has it's own story. And they look great displayed on the wall.

I'm sure there are lots of other reasons too.

Maybe we can make a list of reasons to use to explain to our wives, girlfriends and families why we need more bows  :)

Offline Long Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
It's all about beauty and the quest for that magical stick!!
Derek W.

"I never thought missing could be so much fun!"       -Me

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Agree with Plumber.
  Some people collect paintings.
  People through the ages have collected objects      for their beauty. When you add function and looks it is a lethal combination.
Ken Thornhill

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
D. Key,
Just read your post after posting mine:

"It's like my wife said..."Why do you have so many bows; you can only shot one at a time?" To my reply..."Why do you have so many pairs of shoes; you can only wear one pair at a time". I think she got the point. I was a brave man at the time..."

I commend you on your bravery!!!

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
I have ONE that I bought for myself...a Sapphire Hawk and through that exchange grew a friendship.  Probably will never sell that bow.  I have four others as well, all from various swaps.  I look at them as a sort of friendship map reminding me of all the good people I have been fortunate enough to make contact with through this forum.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Because my bow rack would look kind of empty and bare with just one or two bows on it?

Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©