3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for Non-Custom fixed blade knife under $100  (Read 856 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for Non-Custom fixed blade knife under $100
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Buck 102 is a great deer gutting knife.

Offline DEERDOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »
Buck 102 is my best hunting knife ever! Cant go wrong with a buck.
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
GFA?
Silence is golden.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Boker is my favorite but got a Mora from Two Tracks that I'm really starting to like.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
I have a GFA Western knife that is also a solid deal for the price.

And don't overlook CRKT. You can usually find the Russ Kommer 'Brow Tine' model for well less than $100, and it is also an excellent all-around hunting/camp knife.

But it's hard to beat a USA-made, fixed blade Buck for the price. Everyone should own one.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Can't beat a case!
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
My Kabar is retired after riding my hip for almost 3decades.  He is electrical taped but happy in medals case.  Moras are super knives for the price.  I bought one of the wood handled models and made a new handle from my riser wood and antler.  Short, sharp and easy to maneuver.  I have gerber, buck, several custom knives, but that mora makes the trip. I guess I am afraid of losing a hundred. Dollar blade when that little sweetheart does the trick, and she is custom!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Mora carbon steel, a steal at $9!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
A+ on the Helle's from Mike.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Check out the Swedish company Fallkniven. The F1 is issued to their military. I've used and abused this knife, and it's like a Timex watch...keeps on ticking. The steel sharpens easily and stays sharp. I think it's now about $100.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
i have a lil buck knife and it has been with me since  i was 14 and love it would be lost with out it i even bought my dad the same style last year for Christmas but they are the woodsman knife great choice i think

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Helle is the way to go...may not be made in the USA but can be bought by a American who makes some awesome bows to boot...seriously..I have owned hundreds of knives of every type and model and manufacturer but when it is hunting season..a Helle blade is on my hip..well made easy to sharpen, holds a edge and very strong and I reccomend the swing sheath for the knife..wont even know its there..very versatile and functional...even though I never actually bought a knife..I have gotten all the blades they sold and made them in knives and made the sheaths..awesome blade and heck you can buy 3 knives for under $100...one of my polar blades gutted 4 deer and cut all 4 deers up for proccessing before I had to sharpen and I put the blade on a DMT stone with about 10 passes per side and its hair poppin RAZORSHARP that you can shave a full grown beard with (which I did on a bet and won)  ultimately its your choice and good luck on your decision as there are a ton of great choices to chose from
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2011, 05:20:00 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I think I've narrowed the field down to either the Buck woodsman (102) or the Grohmann #1.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by GrayRhino:
Thanks for all the replies.  I think I've narrowed the field down to either the Buck woodsman (102) or the Grohmann #1.
You can't go wrong with the Buck Woodsman.  My father won one in a muzzleloader shoot a long time ago and gave it to me when I first started hunting when I was 12.  I've been carrying it ever since.  I'd love to get a nice expensive custom knife, but I know I would still just grab my Woodsman when heading to the woods because of sentimental reasons.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
Not sure if this is a viable option, but.....I have an Old Timer "Little Finger" that is hands down the best knife I have ever owned. The company was bought by Schrade, which I believe went under. The brand name has been resurrected, but isn't the same knife. If you can get your hands on a used one, you'll love it. Brown synthetic handle which is extremely durable, but the best thing is the steel. It take an incredible edge, holds it well, and the knife handles like an extension of your......well, fingers. They are great, but beware of the newer copies....they come from container land.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
I have already listed my favorites. I just want to point out that for under $100 you can still buy a quality knife made in the USA. Case, Buck and Bear and Son all make thier knives here. There are even some individuals like Stickshooter and John Greco who make good hunting knives for under a c note. I am not saying you are unamerican if you by a knife that was made overseas. I have over 100 knives and I own a bunch of foriegn made CRKT, AG Russel and Muela knives I bought because of thier design. I also own a bunch of Buck and Case Knives. All I am saying is give the American makers a look and then buy the knife that best suits  your needs.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Acquired a new favorite just this year, ESSE Izula II. Not terribly trad looking with a Kydex sheath, but beauty is as beauty does. Just right for working up in a chest cavity without losing any fingers!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
Those Helle knives will cut you just looking at them.They are shaving sharp !

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
buck gen 5 gets my vote.

i have cleaned 3 deer so far with no sharpening. it will still shave hair. very well balanced and looks good to boot!  :)
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
I've used a variety of knives over the years.  I like Bucks and various custom models that I have owned, but for a fixed blade I always have one or both of the Helle blades that I fitted with handles.  They are rugged and sharpen easily - hard to beat for the money.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©