3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone wolf or muddy outdoor climbing sticks?  (Read 199 times)

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone wolf or muddy outdoor climbing sticks?
« on: November 23, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Getting ready to purchase some climbing sticks. Have it narrowed down to lone wolf or muddy outdoor stick. Let me have your opinions

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone wolf or muddy outdoor climbing sticks?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
The muddy seems strange to me. . . they have the special engineered system but still tell you to tie it off. If the system is trustworthy why the need to tie off?
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
I was making the same decision last year, after years of using climbing spurs. I went with the Muddy sticks and I really like them. Very quick and quiet. I also like the steps being on both sides.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both are the best on the market IMHO.

Mike

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
I agree with Mike, I have the Lone Wolf, very good product and I don't ever use my climbers anymore.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
I can't comment on the Muddy as I've never used them, however I love my lone wolf steps. They stack nicely, set up quietly, are light weight yet robust, and strap to my lone wolf stand perfectly.

Offline Michael Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I have the lone wolf sticks and I really like them. Thy are quite and really easy to hang and even in the dark.

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Who sells the Muddy sticks I have not seen them yet? I have  Lone Wolf and Gorilla sticks. The thing I like about the Gorilla sticks is that I can have both feet on the same level when installing my stand as opposed to alternating rungs of the Lone Wolf.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by DGF:
I can't comment on the Muddy as I've never used them, however I love my lone wolf steps. They stack nicely, set up quietly, are light weight yet robust, and strap to my lone wolf stand perfectly.
Agree, although I could use 4 instead of three. I max at about 14 feet unless I space them farther than the 1'6" max suggested.  Leaves me about a foot or two short of what I would like.

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 04:51:00 AM »
rraming: I have 4 but for most of my setups use three. When I stack 4 I place the stick with the buckle on the bottom and strap upwards to fit the extra depth. 3rivers sells extra sections for $50 and do think it worthwile to have around for some setups.

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
I've had lone wolf sticks for so long I can't remember when I bought them.  NEVER a complaint or problem with the product or its use.

I just looked at the muddy system.  Looks solid.  From an engineering perspective more moving parts *can* equate to a higher % of failure and I have questions/concerns with the cam lock system.  Those cams are crushing and creating a pinch point which in my experience is not good for rope.

I would say this...if Muddy corp could address these concerns from an engineering/developement perspective I would consider adding one "stick" to eack of my lone wolf set-ups as having 2 sided steps at platform height may be a benefit especially when it is cold.

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
I POKED AROUND A BIT MORE...made in China...

2009 Muddy climbing stick recall...

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10300.html

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I love my Lone Wolf sticks. I start with two screw in steps, then my 3 LW sticks. This gets me up to 20 feet

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
It's really interesting how some of us think the same yet so different, I only use two lone wolf sticks, gets me up about 10-12 feet give or take a foot and I have found it to be high enough, and have had no problems with getting busted, I also have a much better angle to shoot from. I think it was last year I had a nice buck actually come up the tree, you know like a dog, trying to see hat I was, really surprised me, he never got spooked though, he also wasn't big enough for me to shoot as I was looking for his big brother.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©