3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Use 16" lace up boots?  (Read 157 times)

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
Use 16" lace up boots?
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I have a pair each of 10" Schnee's and 10" L.L. Bean Maine Hunting boots that I use often.  The Schnee's are heavier boots for really cold and the Beans are used for spring/fall hunts.

I've always liked the looks of the 16" boots and now that I'm planning an Alaska trip in 2013 am seriously thinking of ordering a pair.  Anyone use these taller boots and how have you liked them?
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Use 16" lace up boots?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
I've got the 13" Schnee Hunter II boots. Put on 7 miles in 12-16" snow today. Boots did great. I've had them now for about 15 years. Had them rebuilt with new rubber bottoms, laces  and liners about 6 or 7 years ago. I love my Schnees. If there's at least 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground, they are my go to boots.
I haven't used the 16", the 13" seems to handle all of my needs.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
I love my 14" LL Bean boots. Been using them for years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
I have the tall Schnees but I believe they are 15".   They work great for chasing mountain lions in steep mountains and the deep snow.  I did a float hunt for  Alaskan moose in 1999 and took both hip waders and a pair of 13" Schnees, the waders were not used after the first day.  We found the Schnees were quieter, considerably more comfortable, and with minimum precautions  we never needed to go above mid calf when entering or exiting the raft.  On my brown bear hunt the only time the hip waders were needed was to wade out far enough to reach the rope to the float plane  when it did not get close enough to shore.  The locals in Juneau wear calf high rubber boots and seldom need or use anything else.  I got the taller Schnees  when my other pair gave out after 18 years of abuse and three re-soles.  Take a good pair of hiking boots if you are planning to hunt away from water or might need to pack a load of meat  or gear any distance.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 03:21:00 AM »
"The locals in Juneau wear calf high rubber boots and seldom need or use anything else." That's what we wore daily. I was one of those locals. Xtratuffs are known as the "Juneau Sneaker". I'll be honest with you, I can't think of one single hunt out of the hundreds I went on in southeast Alaska where I wore Xtratuffs or any other rubber boot. I either needed chest waders or my mountaineering boots. Now, I always took a pair with me to wear in camp, but I never wore them in the field. I'll tell you why.

In southeast Alaska, if you're going after moose or fall bears, you're going to be hunting in areas where you will need to cross rivers, wade through beaver ponds, cross tidal flats, plow through wet brush, etc. If you don't do those things, you'll be severely limited in where you can hunt.

If you're going after Sitkas, spring bear, or mountain goat, you'll be in steep, slippery terrain where you'll need superior ankle support that you can't find in a rubber boot. Just hiking around in those conditions would be tough in  rubber boots. Packing out an animal would be torturous and down right stupid. I always wore my Scarpas and had no problems.

The only time I think a rubber boot would work there would be if you were hunting black bear along the beaches from a skiff, and a guide could put you in the right spot.

Up north, things are a lot different. In some places, a boot like Schnee's makes might be ideal. I do think if I were to plan a hunt up there, I'd make sure I had a variety of footwear to take. You don't want to miss out on an opportunity because you're ill-prepared. If you're using a guide, they'll give you some good input. If you're doing it yourself, find some experienced hunters in the area you want to go. Around Juneau, it was very easy to spot novice hunters or outsiders by their choice of footwear and rain gear.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
On a trip to Newfoundland (island) we had a pile of torn up rubber boots at the end of the week. I brought the high Schnee's and they were perfect. I did dry and re coat the seams every night with the latex sealer, and oiled them heavily with Montana pitch blend nightly also....but man it did the trick. They didnt leak and the heavy leather took the abuse of those tundra roots and sticks. I was impressed too with the amount of walking I had to do daily, very comfortable.

The guys above obviously know about Alaska...good advice for sure.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©